General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone want a NOS 2006 Superglide?

Old 05-27-2019, 10:23 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

I don't think "Tool Time" Tim would think you're "the ****" unless you installed this 4-Row Tapered Roller Bearing ... (further Mods required for installation )

Old 05-27-2019, 10:28 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

That's not too hateful and at the power you're looking for I don't think you'd have any problems. I would imagine that number would go up if it needed connecting rods?

This is from S&S's site regarding their cranks:

"S&S does not produce a set of flywheels that is a direct replacement for 2003 and later Twin Cam engines. Stock 2003 and later engines use a flat roller type bearing for the sprocket shaft.

In fact, for 2003, the sprocket shaft and the pinion shaft use the same bearing part number. As many of you are aware, Harley-Davidson sells a retrofit kit (HD#24004-03) that allows earlier OEM Twin Cam flywheel assemblies that use the TimkenŽ style bearing on the sprocket shaft to accept the flat roller style sprocket shaft bearing. This allows 1999–2002 flywheel assemblies to be used in 2003—up cases.

S&S strongly discourages use of this kit on S&S flywheels. A flywheel that has been converted from a taper roller bearing style to a flat roller bearing style may be up to the demands of low performance use, but testing at S&S has concluded that using the present style flat roller bearing on both the sprocket side and pinion side of the flywheel produces a flywheel assembly that not have enough side loading capacity in high horsepower applications. For this reason S&S will not honor any warranty claims relating to sprocket shaft bearing failures when S&S Twin Cam flywheels are used in 2003–up cases."

They don't make cranks for a double roller bearing set up and the bold "We ain't paying for it under warranty if you use a conversion kit" does make a guy think. You're a lifer and you're gonna have that Street Glide until you croak. If you want the cases to match the VIN I'd do what I did. Or, I'd buy an S&S T Series engine complete. Using a 1999-2002 engine case isn't possible because of the transmission/engine interface isn't the same as the TC96 cases.

All that said there is this; you can drop a ton of dough making a Harley Twin Cam engine right and then spend even more downstream in the drive train when you start breaking stuff. Your goal of 100HP/120PFT is safe for the primary, trans & drive belt.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 05-27-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:12 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
...... You're a lifer and you're gonna have that Street Glide until you croak. If you want the cases to match the VIN I'd do what I did. Or, I'd buy an S&S T Series engine complete. Using a 1999-2002 engine case isn't possible because of the transmission/engine interface isn't the same as the TC96 cases.

All that said there is this; you can drop a ton of dough making a Harley Twin Cam engine right and then spend even more downstream in the drive train when you start breaking stuff. Your goal of 100HP/120PFT is safe for the primary, trans & drive belt.
You know me well my friend. That was my next question.

You are also correct about keeping it until I croak. Probably. It serves its purpose by carting Cheryl and I all over the country in comfort. I don't really need to make it more powerful than it is, as it does okay for a pig.

And I'm pretty sure it's the last new Harley I'll ever buy. With prices going up and the new bikes failing to impress, why would I? If I need to dump a few grand it it every 5 years, I'm still money ahead. And it comes up on it's 5 year anniversary in a few days. So far, so good.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 12:24 PM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,667 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
You know me well my friend. That was my next question.

You are also correct about keeping it until I croak. Probably. It serves its purpose by carting Cheryl and I all over the country in comfort. I don't really need to make it more powerful than it is, as it does okay for a pig.

And I'm pretty sure it's the last new Harley I'll ever buy. With prices going up and the new bikes failing to impress, why would I? If I need to dump a few grand it it every 5 years, I'm still money ahead. And it comes up on it's 5 year anniversary in a few days. So far, so good.
Perhaps times have changed but one of the appeals of owning a Harley Davidson was that it is a personalized legacy product meant to be built and rebuilt by choice or by accident.

This forum gives me the impression guys are trading 'up' every few years chasing cubic inches or just to always have new.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dehammer:
Crazy (05-27-2019), Greezey Rider (05-27-2019)