General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Sales down, My experience at a dealer today is a good example of why.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:53 AM
MadGriz
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I was told by an MOCO employee that the UMC of any bike produced is less that $10,000. I asked "even the CVO's?" He said "yes, even the CVO's". This was a good friend of a good friend visiting home town. BS, maybe but I don't think so.This was 3 years ago. That said, there is negotiating room. That said, I hope that you find what you are looking for.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:46 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 44,392 Likes on 16,298 Posts

Well the dealers get around a $7k difference between MSRP and invoice from the MoCo on a CVO vs $1,000 for a Street 500. Which would you want to sell more of?

https://seedealercost.com/power-sports/

Old 06-14-2019, 04:22 PM
RDFDJD
Cruiser
Received 111 Likes on 35 Posts

of course this is just my opinion and everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I would rather buy a stock bike and then build it into my own. I’ve done that with two bikes one of which is a used FLHTP. You’d never know it was except the tank emblems are not there. I don’t get all the hype over a CVO. A stock bike is half the price or more sometimes and adding parts, custom paint, wheels and you’ll still spend less than the cost of a CVO and you feel more pride in it. JMO and I hope you get what you want.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:52 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by scootinz
Not without the right insurance? I mean seriously if you're not answering your extras with the way they add up then you really should be looking at your policy and talking to your agent. And I highly doubt you got enough money to buy another CVO but maybe you had a replacement policy like they offer on the cars I don't know. Pretty where you're going to get every dime that you spent because well, you drove it off the lot
no, i didn't get another cvo. i didn't say that i did, in fact, i did mention that i got a special. with the cvo, i didn't have to have a lot of extra insurance, because, frankly, i didn't have to have a lot of 'extras'. they were already there. i just had a few 'comfort' items which fell within the $3000 blanket that was included in the policy. replacement policy was not an option. i did have it at first, but after the bike is over 2 years old, it is not offered any longer. my cvo was 6 years old.

Originally Posted by RDFDJD
of course this is just my opinion and everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I would rather buy a stock bike and then build it into my own. I’ve done that with two bikes one of which is a used FLHTP. You’d never know it was except the tank emblems are not there. I don’t get all the hype over a CVO. A stock bike is half the price or more sometimes and adding parts, custom paint, wheels and you’ll still spend less than the cost of a CVO and you feel more pride in it. JMO and I hope you get what you want.

you may think you'd never know it, but anyone who is familiar with a cvo would know right off the bat that it wasn't. and your math is way off. a stock bike is not half the price, and adding the parts, etc. will quickly take the cost way above that of the cvo. with the wife's bike, the extras that we added bumped her cost above mine, and she still had the basic big blue pearl paint job, and 103 engine. and the parts we added were bought at significant discount as they were takeoffs, not new, and i did the labor myself so that wasn't a factor either.

a cvo is a nice bike no doubt. but they aren't for everybody. i had a love/hate relationship with mine. i figured i would ride that bike forever. but the universe had other plans. there were a lot of things about it that i loved. but what i hated was the hellacious expense and hassle if you had to replace a painted part. $1100 for a front fender. 6-8 week turnaround time on paint. $100 for a dash insert, and you have to give the dealer the old one when you buy the new one. with vivid black, you've got a lot more options. i just bought a set of lowers for my bike, $105 on amazon. i know a guy over on the cvo forum who's been trying to sell a pair of the cvo lowers for a couple of years now. he's only asking $300 which is a steal of a deal. but, his target market is very small. not just anyone can run emerald green lowers on their bike.

it may be a bitch to keep clean, but i'm liking the vivid black...

Old 06-15-2019, 08:30 PM
RDFDJD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by skratch
no, i didn't get another cvo. i didn't say that i did, in fact, i did mention that i got a special. with the cvo, i didn't have to have a lot of extra insurance, because, frankly, i didn't have to have a lot of 'extras'. they were already there. i just had a few 'comfort' items which fell within the $3000 blanket that was included in the policy. replacement policy was not an option. i did have it at first, but after the bike is over 2 years old, it is not offered any longer. my cvo was 6 years old.

you may think you'd never know it, but anyone who is familiar with a cvo would know right off the bat that it wasn't. and your math is way off. a stock bike is not half the price, and adding the parts, etc. will quickly take the cost way above that of the cvo. with the wife's bike, the extras that we added bumped her cost above mine, and she still had the basic big blue pearl paint job, and 103 engine. and the parts we added were bought at significant discount as they were takeoffs, not new, and i did the labor myself so that wasn't a factor either.

a cvo is a nice bike no doubt. but they aren't for everybody. i had a love/hate relationship with mine. i figured i would ride that bike forever. but the universe had other plans. there were a lot of things about it that i loved. but what i hated was the hellacious expense and hassle if you had to replace a painted part. $1100 for a front fender. 6-8 week turnaround time on paint. $100 for a dash insert, and you have to give the dealer the old one when you buy the new one. with vivid black, you've got a lot more options. i just bought a set of lowers for my bike, $105 on amazon. i know a guy over on the cvo forum who's been trying to sell a pair of the cvo lowers for a couple of years now. he's only asking $300 which is a steal of a deal. but, his target market is very small. not just anyone can run emerald green lowers on their bike.

it may be a bitch to keep clean, but i'm liking the vivid black...
The base price on a stock EG is like 20k the base price on a CVO is like 40k or more. Id rather get the stock EG and spend 10k in add ons and put it all together myself. That is what I am saying. Again just my opinion and what I would do. There isn't anything special in my opinion about a CVO, other than saying, "I have a CVO".

Old 06-16-2019, 03:23 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

….. There isn't anything special in my opinion about a CVO, other than saying, "I have a CVO".
Really? Take as an example the CVO FXSBE over standard. Larger power plant, different rake, twin disks up front, USD forks, cruise control, LEDs all round and that's just for starters.

Last edited by K9F; 06-16-2019 at 03:27 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:16 AM
RDFDJD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by K9F
Really? Take as an example the CVO FXSBE over standard. Larger power plant, different rake, twin disks up front, USD forks, cruise control, LEDs all round and that's just for starters.
Bigger power plant - I'm on a Harley, I want good performance but I don't care about driving fast, my bike is good enough. Rake - I think the rake is fine. I like being able to make tight turns, and when I increase my wheel diameter I don't need anything bigger than 21". I have cruise control, and I added LED's for $40.00. My sound system is good enough and I can hear it perfectly at highway speeds. I may not have NAV but I don't care, I have a phone with a mount. The best thing about my bike is that it began as a used FLHTP. I put all the work into it and customized it myself. My garage is the CVO center. So like I said, I don't see anything special about a CVO bike. It's my opinion, I don't need to be corrected for it, yours is yours, mine is mine. To each his own right.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:18 AM
Moochy
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DC4MVP
I have an acquaintance who picked up a 2018 Road Glide CVO in the gunship grey. OTD was around $50,000. He has the money. Good for him! Sharp bike!

But within weeks, he was going over my '17 RGS and wanting to switch out stuff on his CVO with basic aftermarket stuff I put on my bike. V&H Power Duals with 4" Rineharts and FP3 to tune it better over the stock CVO Screagle system. He wanted a new Corbin seat, new bars, new grips, added Custom Dynamic lights, and whatever else. He's spent probably another $5,000 to "de-CVO" his CVO and make it comfortable to his liking.

The only thing his CVO now has over my $22,750 OTD RGS is the saddle bag speakers (waste of money), the rarer color, slightly better Infotainment, some badging, and the bigger 117 M8 (bigger than my 107 but not much better than the new stock 114) and technically, my RGS is now more custom than his CVO was before he tinkered with it for $20,000 less. (Just like you said about yours)

Hey, people like having the high end version of things just to have 'em but getting an everyday model and putting a few grand into that to get it to how YOU want rather than what Harley's CVO team thinks you want seems like the way to go instead of dropping $50k on a bike. He could have had a RGS for $24,000, put $5,000 worth of parts into it, and get it painted Gunship Grey and would have still saved $15,000.

To each their own, however! CVO's a kickass bikes but I can't justify putting $50,000 into a stock bike when I know I'll be changing stuff over the first year or two and "de-CVO'ing" the CVO bike.
Wow, I did not pay that much for my house 30 years ago. Now it is worth 395,000.00. Hope those CVO bring that much value in time.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:36 PM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

….. It's my opinion, I don't need to be corrected for it, yours is yours, mine is mine. To each his own right.
Or live and let live. See post #81.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:48 PM
jcr1800
Tourer
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Can anyone explain to me why people take the time to come here and bash people that buy own and ride CVOs? We get it you hate them and us. Wow. I have been hated for most things i have done in my life so jow heres a new one. I didnt buy it for you to like or dislike. I dont care if you think i drank the MOCO koolaid. I just dont get why you feel the need to spend the time to hate om hear. Unless you really want one and just cant afford it. Which is what i think the issue is. I saw one post where they were riding thru Alaska and his buddy or what ever couldnt go thru corners fast something as bout puting his foot down by a curb and then dumping it because the road wasnt built right? Lets just say it wasnt the bike it sounds like the rider should have been on a Sportster or Vespa. Ride safe and who cares what the other guy rides or what HD sells at least they are riding!

The following 2 users liked this post by jcr1800:
mrmarklin (08-26-2019), plasmadaddy (08-27-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harley Sales down, My experience at a dealer today is a good example of why.