General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buffeting... Is there a certain amount that you just have to learn to live with??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 09:43 AM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,976 Likes on 1,206 Posts

My windshield is in storage. Rather have wind come right at me than up under the windshield. All those bolt on do-dads made to make you feel like your riding in a cage are just that, do-dads. My windshield, along with do-dads, screws up the looks of my bike too.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:55 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Yup, you wanna get rid of buffeting, lose the wind screen.

I thought this thread was going to be about Jimmy, anyway.

The following users liked this post:
robarosa (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 09:58 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Is there any way to tilt your screen forward? Worked like a dream on my Road Warrior fairing. I still get wind coming underneath, but it's not buffeting. I have to get into triple digits before buffeting becomes a problem.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:13 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Maybe test ride some other bikes to see of there's one that suits you? Life is too short to ride an uncomfortable bike.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:20 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

If you're riding a bike with no fairing, and a "clip-on" windshield, then, unfortunately, all you can do is try to make the buffeting less annoying for you. Based on your height, your riding posture, the type/style of windshield, and any add-on deflectors, you might get pretty decent results. Or not. All you can do is try.

I had a Madstad Engineering windshield on the '15 Road Glide, and although I don't smoke, I almost could have lit a cigarette while riding. Totally smooth, quiet air. Everything went right over the top of my helmet. It was awesome.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:20 AM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

I have this problem when wearing a half helmet yet have no issue with my 3/4 on. May have more to do with the helmet than the screen.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:22 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
.......it's absolutely intolerable without the HD fork deflectors. I mean to the point of not being able to see clearly at speeds above 60mph no matter which way the wind is blowing. With them, it is reduced by about 90% and provides a nice ride. The deflectors divert wind from the engine and I've done back to back tests with them on/off using a laser temp gun.
This^^^

Old 05-23-2019, 11:26 AM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I ride a 2017 Slim. I have tried everything I can think of to eliminate buffeting. I thought I had the problem licked with a recurve windshield and fangs on the forks. I put the windshield on mainly so I could ride in cold weather which is mainly around town. It worked around town but speeds never exceeded 55 mph. Once it warmed up I had to take a longer trip where speeds were 70 or a little more. The buffeting was so severe that I had lost a wheel weight. So I have given up on the windshield and I am back to a naked bike. I will put it back on for the winter though.

The best setup was like the one below. This wasn't my bike but I had the same model BMW with the same Avon fairing. The air behind this fairing was completely calm and dry in the rain.It would produce a slight pressure on my back at higher speeds. Very nice in Colo thunderstorms and cold mountain temperatures.
kk

Old 05-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by kcfocust
Eliminating the windshield should do the trick....

I went through multiple wind screen options on my dyna. Harley Windshield, Flyscreen, Memphis Shades Gauntlet and finally Memphis Shades Cafe Fairing.

I found my happy medium with the small cafe fairing as it takes the wind off the chest but my head is getting fresh air like I was riding without anything. There is still a slight bit of distortion but over time I've learned to live with it.

I did something somewhat similar on my Deluxe, which as a very upright riding position. After fighting with buffeting, trying different height shields and lower deflectors, I went the opposite direction using the "Less is More" approach. Since the 16" windscreen was completely unusable to to violent buffeting, it served as the sacrificial lamb. I cut it down. First the top, then a little more off the top, and then some off the sides. Now it is little more than a "sport screen" at about 10.5" from the top of the headlight housing. Takes wind pressure off the torso and puts my helmet in clean air. No buffeting! I've done all day rides and it doesn't beat me up. I get that "In the Wind" feeling, without that wind trying to push me off the back of the bike.

So, just a thought if you have a spare shield. Might be worth the time to experiment the the "Less is More" approach

The following users liked this post:
TUCCI (08-27-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 11:37 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Hmm, I also have an 18 Heritage, I only really notice buffetting on windy days like 10mph or more. I wear a half helmet. Maybe it's also about how tall we all are, I'm 5' 5" so I do look through the windshield. Compared to my old Fat Boy the Heritage is more stable in the wind.

Quick Reply: Buffeting... Is there a certain amount that you just have to learn to live with??