General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buffeting... Is there a certain amount that you just have to learn to live with??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,628 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Wondering how effective the vents are on a windshield (re. Heritage, Road King, Deluxe, etc.)?

Anyway... The Clearview with vent may be my next experiment. I wonder if Clearview has an option for a shield with the black lower section (to match the 2018+ Heritage OEM appearance)... Also noted their size selection. They have an 18" and a 19.5". Current Freedom Shield that I'm trying out is a 19". The 19" is about at the limit of my ability to see over the shield (and not have to look through the shield). I wonder if the 19.5" would push me over the limit or if the 18" might end up being too low. I've sent Clearview and email and will likely be pestering them on the phone sometime this morning.
Even if they don't, you could probably get the lower section covered with black wrap for not much money.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:16 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 717 Posts

So I went out for a few hours yesterday after work. I rode county roads, some state highways, and did a few runs up and down the interstate. General conclusion, the situation is tolerable. I'd say in the 40 to 50 mph ranges, the buffeting is slight but noticeable if you pay attention. Get up to 60 - 65 mph, perhaps slightly more is present. Out on the interstate running 75-80 mph, ya, it's there I guess, but not as bad as I thought it would be. Longest run on the interstate was maybe 30 minutes. I didn't feel like it was bothering me too much or feel worse for wear when it was over. Don't know how I'd feel if I had to run on the interstate for hours. I'd say the feeling on the interstate was little more gusty and little less of a constant vibration. The stock shield was all vibration at speed and felt like it was going to rattle my eyeballs out. I tend to ride the back roads mostly, so that's helps this situation.

Still looking at the vents like on the Clearview shields as a potential next experiment. Had a conversation with someone who has tried them. He stated they did nothing for him. Not encouraging. Still I may give it a go anyhow. Only one way to tell for sure.

Height-wise, the 19" may be on the verge of being slightly too tall. Depending on my posture, I can be looking over the shield fairly easily or just slightly looking through when I slouch. I don't know if that will work out as a net positive or not. I noted on the interstate that I could relax and slouch a bit and make the ride slightly more pleasant. In that state I could tilt my head a little and either look just over the top edge of shield or look through the very top of the shield - which ever I felt like.

If I try the Clearview shield, I believe I'll probably start with the 18".