Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Buffeting... Is there a certain amount that you just have to learn to live with?? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1285191-buffeting-is-there-a-certain-amount-that-you-just-have-to-learn-to-live-with.html)

T^2 05-23-2019 06:28 AM

Buffeting... Is there a certain amount that you just have to learn to live with??

Working this issue on my 2018 Heritage. I've installed JES fangs/wind deflectors. That eliminated a lot of the air coming up from underneath/around the tank. I've tried two different sizes of Freedom Shields windshields. The current FS is 19" and appears to sit right at the tip of my nose. Doubt I could go any higher without having to look through the shield. The FS seems to help (although I'm going to re-install the stock for a direct comparison - it's been a while since I had it on and memory fades). However, there is still some buffeting. I've tried two different helmets. The buffeting is a little more present with the full face than the half helmet, but not by much. The turbulent air appears to be coming over the top of the windshield. I can place my hand directly over the top of the shield in front of my face and the buffeting stops. I can lean forward and tuck a little bit behind the shield and that gets rid of the buffeting. But, I wouldn't want to have to ride like that (plus it forces you to look through the shield.) The buffeting at speeds up to about 65 to 70 mph might be tolerable. The buffeting that exist up around 80 mph (interstate speeds) might be a bit much to tolerate. I'd have to wonder if a long run on the interstate would give me a headache after a while.

I've read several post where folks apparently claim that they eliminated all of the buffeting. I'm beginning to wonder if that's even possible unless one ends up looking through the shield. I've seen others claim that they got rid of most, but not all, of the buffeting (which is where I appear to be).

So is there just a certain amount of buffeting you just have to learn to tolerate?

The only bikes I've owned before that were not naked were sport bikes. They never had this problem due to many factors. I was on the interstate on my Nightster just the other day and it was fine at interstate speeds (as it has always been). The Nightster is naked and has drag bars that lean me ever so slightly forward. I hear people talk about the wind hitting the chest and causing fatigue over time. I don't really feel that on the Nightster. I can ride the Heritage without the windshield, but it sits me more upright and I do notice catching the wind more in my upper body. I can see where that might become an issue on a long run. The windshield does provide other benefits of course. Its much more calm an quite everywhere else (from the neck down) and it definitely helps when the air gets cold.

Bubba Zanetti 05-23-2019 06:40 AM

Short answer is yes. You're riding a motorcycle and even if you have a tall windshield or fairing, there's always going to be some wind coming in around it. As long as my head isn't wobbling like one of those bobble head toys I consider it normal. I think the only way to totally avoid it would be to ride in the car.

kcfocust 05-23-2019 06:57 AM

Eliminating the windshield should do the trick....

I went through multiple wind screen options on my dyna. Harley Windshield, Flyscreen, Memphis Shades Gauntlet and finally Memphis Shades Cafe Fairing.

I found my happy medium with the small cafe fairing as it takes the wind off the chest but my head is getting fresh air like I was riding without anything. There is still a slight bit of distortion but over time I've learned to live with it.

T^2 05-23-2019 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti (Post 18276082)
Short answer is yes. You're riding a motorcycle...

Duly noted. I've been riding all my life, so I'm familiar with motorcycles and wind. But as I noted, this is the first non sport/naked bike that I've had and this buffeting is something new and undesirable as compared to where I'm coming from.

That said, your short answer is starting to appear to be correct unfortunately.

SBRob 05-23-2019 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by T^2 (Post 18276131)
Duly noted. I've been riding all my life, so I'm familiar with motorcycles and wind. But as I noted, this is the first non sport/naked bike that I've had and this buffeting is something new and undesirable as compared to where I'm coming from.

That said, your short answer is starting to appear to be correct unfortunately.

There's a reason my RK doesn't have a windshield....no buffeting. :icon_bike:

tmac00333 05-23-2019 07:25 AM

It's weird you can feel the wind directly over the top of your 19 inch shield. I have a 16 inch Long Ride Shield, and the wind goes over the top of my head, not in my face. No bufetting. It was the same with a regular shield, too.

Maybe you should try one of these re-curves.

m3a1 05-23-2019 07:43 AM

Ahhh.. Hydrodynamics. Sounds like your buffeting is a result of air attempting to refill the void created behind whatever you have that is pushing the air out of the way. In short, you have created a negative pressure area behind your shields. 'Bigger' and 'more' is not necessarily better when it comes to windscreens.

Spartanden 05-23-2019 08:20 AM

Take your bike out for a ride. When you start to experience buffeting, place your left arm horizontal across you chest and see if it goes away or is reduces. If so, the air is coming from below the shield/fairing. You need to eliminate that air flow. If this does not help, then the air must be coming over the top. I would recommend you use a shield that is around your chin. You can always tape off the top of the shield, draw a top profile line that pleases you. You can take a coping saw and cut away the excess. then file, then sand and use some alcohol to give it a wipe down to clean up. You may find this will remove the air flow causing buffeting. Also helmet design plays a roll in this as well. If you have a half helmet that is kind of big (not size wise, but large profile with substantial amount of helmet over the ears) that may catch a bit of wind. Sometimes these things are hard to find.

Campy Roadie 05-23-2019 08:36 AM

I have a Super Glide and a Road King. The Super Glide is sans windshield, fairing or deflector. All I get is nice clean air, no helmet buffeting. When it turns cold, or is cold at the start of the year, the Road King's windshield is a welcome relief but, for me, it's absolutely intolerable without the HD fork deflectors. I mean to the point of not being able to see clearly at speeds above 60mph no matter which way the wind is blowing. With them, it is reduced by about 90% and provides a nice ride. The deflectors divert wind from the engine and I've done back to back tests with them on/off using a laser temp gun. Not a lot hotter, about 15 degrees on average (measured at the heads, next to the spark plugs).

I look over my windshield and have tried taller and shorter, none worked well without the deflectors. I would ride it without a screen but the Road King doesn't lend itself to no windshield riding, at least not for me. I've ridden my Super Glide with no windshield tens of thousands of miles, but I can't tolerate the Road King without a windshield for more than 20 miles and even less at freeway speeds (that I sometimes ride at even though I'm not on the freeway). I think it has to do with a couple things. First, the more upright position really makes you a sail and second, with the tank mounted gauge the wind basically starts hitting you at the waist as opposed to the Super Glide gauges being front and center to divert the air up a little. It probably doesn't hurt that the frontal profile is a little smaller as well.

I love both bikes, but if my garage caught fire I'd tip over the Road King to get the Super Glide out.

tajar66 05-23-2019 08:52 AM

You didn’t mention what helmet you have. It could be the problem. When I picked up my Glide I needed a hat so I bought the Harley branded helmet and it was terrible it made my eyes vibrate.
I spent a few $ on a good helmet and it is way better. I start to get a little over 70mph but very tolerable.
I have a 7” windsplitter I put the 10” on and it was still air at 50mph but I didn’t like the curve in my view.