General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting Your GoPro So You Don't Look Like a Spaceman

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 04:42 PM
Curated Content Editor
HDF Editor
Received 755 Likes on 372 Posts

Beautiful pictures.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:49 PM
JVS
Advanced
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=soldierbot;18288914]Mounted straight to the bar...without any extension. Too low..

I think this view looks awesome. Great pics!

Old 05-28-2019, 07:00 PM
JVS
Advanced

You can always mix it up. I use a few ram mounts mounted around my street bob and a ff helmet mount. With the gopro quick app, you can make some pretty cool short videos super easy. Not sure if it will let me upload it but here is a cool little video I made. I don’t have a music library on my iPad so the music is lame. The music on the app isn’t the best.

Last edited by JVS; 05-28-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:39 AM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 90,317 Likes on 23,272 Posts

Originally Posted by JVS
You can always mix it up. I use a few ram mounts mounted around my street bob and a ff helmet mount. With the gopro quick app, you can make some pretty cool short videos super easy. Not sure if it will let me upload it but here is a cool little video I made. I don’t have a music library on my iPad so the music is lame. The music on the app isn’t the best.

https://youtu.be/04nYjEVTb0s

Nice video....did you just use the GoPro app to edit? Good job.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:49 AM
JVS
Advanced

Yes, the GoPro app AND the GoPro Quick app. My Hero 5 Black automatically uploads to the GoPro app. The Quick app is just for making videos. It pulls the clips from the GoPro app. They kinda work together if that make sense. It took me about 20 minutes to figure it out but its really basic. There are YouTube tutorials.
I guess the desk top version is where you can really edit. Quick is for making short videos.

The following users liked this post:
soldierbot (05-29-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 10:03 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,835 Likes on 2,362 Posts

The camera mount I ordered arrived yesterday and I mounted a very cheap action camera to it today. It's supposed to be 4k but it supposedly actually only does 2k in reality. Still the images look fantastic, particularly for a cheap camera. The only time it messed up was when I accidentally filmed myself. I can't be that fat and ugly, so it must be a problem with the camera. Even 1080p is adequate for what I intend to do with it. 1080p is what my car dash cams are, and they work just fine.

I attached the mount to the left side of the front crash bar. I noticed a very slight vibration at idle but my wife did not. I however was looking for and expecting one, because my EG shakes some at idle. Part of it may be due to cracked rubber in the front engine mount, IDK. I didn't notice any vibration in the video going down the road, and the height and angle seemed right for general filming straight ahead. One problem though was that there was no vehicles in front of me to guage whether it was high enough or not. Part of the reason I didn't see vibration from the crashbar might be due to the mount itself. In addition to the thick rubber at the clamp area there are some areas between the clamp and the camera with rubber bushings also.

The camera angle degree is adjustable, and I had it set to 170 degrees. I've also got it set to start recording when the power comes on to it, and stops when the power ends, like a car dash cam. Also if it happens to fill up the card it will overwrite the oldest files unless those files are protected. This gives me time to save and or copy certain files if I happen to actually see something I want to save. I can supposedly d/l a free app from the manufacturer website and control the camera with a smartphone as well as the external buttons, but I haven't done it yet.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:44 AM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,835 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Additional info to above post. I mistakenly said I mounted a camera to the bike yesterday, but it was actually the day before. I didn't get a chance to review the on bike footage until the next day. Here are some sample pics from on the EG. Although it is supposedly a 4 K camera I set the resolution down to 1920 X 1080p 60 fps to have smaller file sizes. I can turn the time stamp off but for the purposes of the test ride I left them on. I was mistaken about not seeing cars, there were a couple of cars in the very beginning, none afterwards. Also when I said that I noticed a small amount of vibration when idleing, I should clarify, that was only when the EG was on the jiffy stand. For some reason it wasn't visible with the bike upright.

Any opinions on if this camera angle appears too low for just general road filming?