Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Mounting Your GoPro So You Don't Look Like a Spaceman (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1285265-mounting-your-gopro-so-you-dont-look-like-a-spaceman.html)

Curated Content Editor 05-23-2019 03:35 PM

Mounting Your GoPro So You Don't Look Like a Spaceman

Mounting Your GoPro So You Don't Look Like a Spaceman
By Brian Dally

If you want to mount your camera in a way that makes you look like a human and not an extraterrestrial, then check out these options.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...6bd8c55d75.jpg

Hammerhead Pat 05-23-2019 03:51 PM

Looks like he is on a KTM, Sa WEET...….

Imold 05-23-2019 07:03 PM

I've used the chest strap mount, more stable than a helmet mount and I like the view better. Knee strap works pretty good sometimes, depends somewhat on the bike, full fairing, not so good. Hand held by a sidecar rider works pretty good, as long as he isn't a 5 year old grandkid... :icon_goofygrin:

GalvTexGuy 05-23-2019 08:57 PM

I use the chin mount almost exclusively now. I agree it gives the best POV. Although, I have mounted my GoPro almost everywhere it can be mounted, including the rear fender pointed behind the bike. It's a perspective you don't see very often.

Zerk 05-23-2019 09:46 PM

Is your life that exciting? I've rode a few famous roads, and just don't care.

Someone gave me one, I was thinking maybe put on dog.

GalvTexGuy 05-24-2019 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Zerk (Post 18278122)
Is your life that exciting? I've rode a few famous roads, and just don't care.

Someone gave me one, I was thinking maybe put on dog.

Go troll somewhere else, asshole.

Zerk 05-24-2019 08:04 AM

I am not kidding. GF thought it would be cool to see where the dogs go. But I think it would get smashed off.

I also think this is a tangent to the people taking pictures of their meals.

Long lonesome highwayman 05-26-2019 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Zerk (Post 18278757)
I am not kidding. GF thought it would be cool to see where the dogs go. But I think it would get smashed off.

I also think this is a tangent to the people taking pictures of their meals.

Even the cheapest action cameras are tougher than they appear. If you look at the dog action cam videos on youtube, the biggest problem seems to be image stablization, even with a gymbal.

My riding isn't very interesting most of the time, but I would like to mount a inexpensive dash cam or other camera on my mc's simply in the event something interesting does happen. I've had a dash cam in my car for a few years now, and there's been an occasion where it was beneficial to someone. A dash cam video was very beneficial to a relative of mine who got one before I did, as it saved him from serious legal trouble and expense, even when he wasn't moving. Not all incidents on dash cameras are accidents, and sometimes it's better to have video and or audio instead of it merely being your word against something elses.

Zerk 05-26-2019 08:25 AM

I would think ypu would want it on bike. I just cant imagine hanging off me all the time. Worrying about setting helmet down, and storing.

I realize lots do it. But I would want to forget about it. Just go back for footage when interesting. I do see this as part of our society I am so important I have to take pic of food and talk on phone in public.

I have done rides most here haven't. Lots of pics. But I don't want to watch every minute. I want the important stuff at the right time and angle

Long lonesome highwayman 05-26-2019 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Zerk (Post 18283156)
I would think ypu would want it on bike. I just cant imagine hanging off me all the time. Worrying about setting helmet down, and storing.

I realize lots do it. But I would want to forget about it. Just go back for footage when interesting. I do see this as part of our society I am so important I have to take pic of food and talk on phone in public.

I have done rides most here haven't. Lots of pics. But I don't want to watch every minute. I want the important stuff at the right time and angle

Well, in my case that is exactly correct. I would prefer to mount it on the mc, for the same reasons you mentioned. With my car dash cam I mainly forget about it most of the time. The video records in segments so if something interesting happens that's worth saving I can just look at the date and time on the video files and pick and choose the one or ones I want. The downside to bike mounting is like chest mounting, it records in front of your path instead of where you're looking, but my dash cams are 170 (wide view) lens, so that helps. Many action cams also have wide angle recording capability. Since I rarely save the on road videos and put them on youtube I can't justify spending the many $$$$$ for a Gopro setup and doing a helmet mount, but if I was doing that I could see spending the money to get the best equipment.