General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buffalo, NY Vacation

Old 05-24-2019, 07:34 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts
Default Buffalo, NY Vacation

All,

My wife and I were thinking of going to Buffalo next weekend for a 4 day vacation. Can you all let me know what is good to do and see. Also let me know if I am out of our minds and stay home. Looking for isperation.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:55 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

I want to see Niagra Falls, but NY is such a communist state, and going to Canada can be tough.
I prefer taking personal protection.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:22 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,280 Likes on 2,348 Posts

The wife and I rode over to western NY for a week many years ago . Went to Niagara, lot's to see there, the falls, the park, the hydroelectric plant and a nice ride up tp Ft. Niagara (?). Visited Letchworth State Park (SW of Geneseo,NY. Western New York has nice country roads. Finger Lakes is interesting also. If you can swing it ride over into Canada and ride along the Niagara River up to Niagara -on- the-Lake. Take your passport, leave your firearm in the states. Sorry.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:27 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

If you want to go to a bike event, Gowanda has their annual weekend sponsored by Gowanda HD. The riding through Amish Country to get there from Buffalo might interest you. Other bike events for all of Western NY that weekend can be found here:

http://www.cyberspokes.com/events.htm#Biker%20Events

I’d also recommend riding along Lake Ontario. I grew up in Wilson and there’s a few good places to eat. Sunset Grill is a good one overlooking the harbor.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 05-24-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:32 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,452 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood
I want to see Niagra Falls, but NY is such a communist state, and going to Canada can be tough.
I prefer taking personal protection.
Not sure exactly what "personal protection" you're referring to but if it's a firearm unless you possess a LEOSA card or you are an active duty LEO I wouldn't recommend taking it into New York state.

I'm going to Newfoundland this summer and my hardware has to stay at home

Old 05-24-2019, 10:37 PM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,398 Likes on 5,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Not sure exactly what "personal protection" you're referring to but if it's a firearm unless you possess a LEOSA card or you are an active duty LEO I wouldn't recommend taking it into New York state.

I'm going to Newfoundland this summer and my hardware has to stay at home
NY is VERY firearm unfriendly unless you have a CCW, or are an active duty NY LEO.

I do not know if ACTIVE LEO's from out of state are good, but my friend who is a retired CHP cannot carry.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:36 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by DanHappy
My wife and I were thinking of going to Buffalo next weekend for a 4 day vacation. Can you all let me know what is good to do and see.
Make sure to visit the Anchor Bar which claims to be the originator of the original "Buffalo Wing". Not the best I have had, but they were OK.

The resturant also has a huge collection of motorcycles of all types and ages on display.

Example of what you will see all over the inside.

There is also a car museum in Buffalo that has a large collection of Bikes and other interesting exhibits. Cant remember the name, but you can find it in any of the AAA pamphlets.

The following 2 users liked this post by FrankEV:
Cygnusx51 (05-25-2019), roadmutt (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 06:46 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Frank, I believe you’re thinking of the Pierce Arrow Museum. I’ve never been there but I’d like to at some point.

I agree about Anchor Bar also. They might have “invented” chicken wings but they aren’t the best you’ll ever have, however, ya gotta go there at least once!

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 05-25-2019 at 06:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FrankEV (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 06:49 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,802 Likes on 1,430 Posts

In the Buff visit: Buffalo Naval Park. It has a WWII sub, along with the WWII destroyer the Sullivans, and the USS Little Rock. You can explore all of them. And about a mile away is the Pierce-Arrow Museum. They were made in Buffalo. Plan on 1-1.5 hours at each of them. And near those is the Pearl Street Grill.

I’d suggest the Harbor Center Marriott in Buffalo as a base camp. It’s a nice area and a short hop to the falls.

If you want BBQ, hit the Dinosaur BBQ. About 1-mile from both attractions. And from the “1000-bars to hit before you die”, is Founding Fathers.

There is a Hard Rock Cafe on the US side of the falls. The Canadian side is more built up with the kitchy tourist stuff.

Last edited by Oko; 05-25-2019 at 06:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cygnusx51 (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 06:50 AM
Bearpaw Mearle
Road Captain
Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
The wife and I rode over to western NY for a week many years ago . Went to Niagara, lot's to see there, the falls, the park, the hydroelectric plant and a nice ride up tp Ft. Niagara (?). Visited Letchworth State Park (SW of Geneseo,NY. Western New York has nice country roads. Finger Lakes is interesting also. If you can swing it ride over into Canada and ride along the Niagara River up to Niagara -on- the-Lake. Take your passport, leave your firearm in the states. Sorry.
Yes, this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buffalo, NY Vacation