General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage or Road King

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 08:54 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty Bucket
Thanks for that reply. I have ridden my Heritage through a lot of different environments and have really enjoyed it. But - I rode a 2016 RK the other day and it was like moving from a Corvette to a Cadillac. My biggest worry is handling at slow speeds with the RK and mountain twisties. The Heritage is a dream in that respect - I am hoping with experience on a RK, I will find it to be as fun and as controllable. I just hate not being flat footed - been that route before and my confidence level soared once on the Heritage - don't won't to lose that feeling.

Safe travels.
Watch some Motor Skills Competition vids on Youtube. It's all low speed, tight maneuvering skills. Road Kings represent. You probably won't find many vids with the new Heritage.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:00 PM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer
Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks again, guys. Yes, Nevada72 - the clearance is better on the RK as I have dragged the floorboards several times on my Heritage and specs show the RK to be much better. I am by no means an aggressive rider (63 and intend on riding for many years ahead) and my risk taking days have long passed. Every time I dragged my boards I was totally surprised - not speeding or being aggressive (I thought) but did not like it. That is another reason I am considering the RK.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 09:35 PM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer

Thanks T^2 - is the Transmission fluid migration or sumping an issue with a 2017 and newer RK? I have not heard of this and thought I was being pretty good with my reviews and research on the 2017 and newer RK's. Fill me in, please!

Old 05-26-2019, 10:09 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty Bucket
Thanks T^2 - is the Transmission fluid migration or sumping an issue with a 2017 and newer RK? I have not heard of this and thought I was being pretty good with my reviews and research on the 2017 and newer RK's. Fill me in, please!
Yes... All M8 Touring models are affected. All the touring models have the hydraulic clutch and are susceptible to the transmission fluid migration issue. Technically, all M8s are supposed to be susceptible to the sumping issue. However, you'll be hard pressed to find a story about a Softail M8 sumping (If I remember correctly, I can only vaguely remember one). The Touring models on the other hand have had a crap load of reports about the sumping problem. Go check out the M8 forum. You find many threads and a crap load of post on these issues.

I had considered the RK when I was considering my next purchase. Some folks have reported they have had no problems with the new touring models. But there's been too many reports as described above for my taste (too much of a crap shoot). Besides, the advantages of the Heritage in my mind out weighed the advantages that the RK brought to the table. If we were talking pre 2018 Heritages, I'd say RK. But with the new M8 models, I think the Heritage has it and might be one of the best all rounders in HD's line up.

No reason the Heritage can't be setup for touring and do just fine at it.

As for comfort during prolonged stints in the saddle... Start by replacing the stock seat with a good one.

Last edited by T^2; 05-26-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:53 PM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer

Thanks T^2 - I will look into that.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:07 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Rusty, I am only 5'7" and I went from a Fat Boy to a 2018 Road King last year. Pretty happy with my decision. The King is a little heavier when horsing it around in a parking lot, but I always manage fine. On the road itself, no comparison. The King is nimble, stable, and very maneuverable. In my opinion you'll do fine with either the Heritage or the King. By the way, no sumping or other issues here; owning the King has been great.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:01 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I love the look of the new Heritage but, being a competition rodeo rider, I'd pick the Road King all day long. That said, I recently traded my '17 FLHR for a '19 FLHTP. Back to a fairing for me!

Old 05-27-2019, 06:01 AM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer

Originally Posted by stro1965
I love the look of the new Heritage but, being a competition rodeo rider, I'd pick the Road King all day long. That said, I recently traded my '17 FLHR for a '19 FLHTP. Back to a fairing for me!
Thanks to everybody - most responsive motorcycle forum I have been on. I bet a fairing is great but I will put off trying that for a few more years (probably / maybe).

I do believe I will head on over to Bluegrass Harley-Davidson this afternoon and ride that new RK!! If I do, my Heritage will most likely be on their "pre-loved Inventory" list!

Old 05-27-2019, 06:08 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,305 Likes on 1,334 Posts

still might a good idea to play around with seating options on your 18 Heritage to see if that makes a difference in longer distance riding, would save a pretty penny if it comes down to the seat

Old 05-27-2019, 06:41 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,628 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Once moving faster than a crawl the Road King will be just as easy to handle as the Heritage.

Get that stock seat modded as another poster suggested and you will be good to go. They can shave some foam off the front of the seat so your legs don't have to be splayed out as much, makes it easier to reach the ground.

Quick Reply: Heritage or Road King