General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The vent above or below the horizontal frame?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 12:02 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,154 Likes on 722 Posts
Default The vent above or below the horizontal frame?

So... I'm going to try out a Clearview windshield on my '18 Heritage.

So the first thing that stood out when I first saw this picture... Why did they mount the vent so high? Well there are two reasons - 1) To accommodate windshield bags and 2) To place some airflow at the riders face/chest (a secondary benefit of the vent) on hot days. I contacted Clearview to see if they could mount the vent below the windshield's horizontal frame member, and if so, would there be any performance difference. They said yes they can mount the vent below the frame, but it would be considered a custom non-returnable shield. As to performance, they say the vent is still effective for reducing buffeting when placed below the horizontal frame. The only change in performance would be the air flow the rider feels when the vent door is fully open.

So I ordered a stock width shield with re-curve, black lower shield (to match OEM Heritage shield), and vent in it's standard position (above the horizontal frame member). I figured I'd want to test the vent for effectiveness before being committed (as long as you don't removed the plastic wrap protective covering off the shield, it can be returned). If the vent doesn't seem to get'r done, then I might opt for a re-curve shield without it. If the vent proves to be effective, I might opt to return the shield and get a custom ordered one with the vent below the horizontal frame member.

So... Where would you want the vent?

Old 05-29-2019, 01:49 PM
dpmerrill
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Below the frame would sure look a lot better to me.

Without a helmet, I'd rather have the wind hitting my chest than my face so lower would be my choice.
With a helmet, maybe the higher option would be better for cooling.

If you ride looking through the windshield, above the frame looks like it would be distracting.
If you ride looking over the windshield, I don't think it would matter.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:03 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by dpmerrill
Below the frame would sure look a lot better to me.

Without a helmet, I'd rather have the wind hitting my chest than my face so lower would be my choice.
With a helmet, maybe the higher option would be better for cooling.

If you ride looking through the windshield, above the frame looks like it would be distracting.
If you ride looking over the windshield, I don't think it would matter.
Should have included that point... I prefer to look over the shield. Clearview said that the vent doesn't obstruct your view. IDK... seems like it would if you set yourself up for looking through the shield. Heck, it looks like it might even have some impact if you are set up to look over the shield.

Aesthetically speaking... I'm not sure, but the vent might look better below. But anything that is going to populate that big open black space below the horizontal frame may stick out. If the shield was totally clear, then the vent sitting below the horizontal frame my not be as noticeable.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:16 PM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 829 Posts

It would look much better below!

Old 05-29-2019, 02:50 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by YZR
It would look much better below!
That's my thinking... Mostly anyway... And of course it's always better to see things in person.

Then of course there's windshield bags... Never thought I would have any use for them. But, it's nice to always have an option.

Still I'm thinking below...

Last edited by T^2; 05-29-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:01 PM
Tuck1991
Cruiser
Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

I've got a 17 RKS so not exactly the same, but similar with a CVS recurve GT width and vent. I look over the shield and don't really notice the vent. It has five indents from what I remember. It does make a difference in buffeting if you open it to the first indent. The airflow doesn't go to your chest/chin but is redirected up behind the windshield and seems to stabilize any turbulent air behind the windscreen. If you want airflow hitting you chest/chin area you keep opening it on the indents until it's hitting where you want it. Once you go past that first indent though some buffeting does return but not as much as when it's fully closed. I wouldn't buy a windshield without a vent. Especially with the humid heat in SC. I don't think the stock vent location will bother you once you ride with it.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:49 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tuck1991
I've got a 17 RKS so not exactly the same, but similar with a CVS recurve GT width and vent. I look over the shield and don't really notice the vent. It has five indents from what I remember. It does make a difference in buffeting if you open it to the first indent. The airflow doesn't go to your chest/chin but is redirected up behind the windshield and seems to stabilize any turbulent air behind the windscreen. If you want airflow hitting you chest/chin area you keep opening it on the indents until it's hitting where you want it. Once you go past that first indent though some buffeting does return but not as much as when it's fully closed. I wouldn't buy a windshield without a vent. Especially with the humid heat in SC. I don't think the stock vent location will bother you once you ride with it.
Good information to know. Good to hear that if you are setup to look over the shield, the vent isn't really noticed. Only downside in the above frame location would be aesthetic then. First priority for me will be to control buffeting, so it sounds like the first indent will be used a lot. Also, nice to now that you can trade some buffeting control for cooling if necessary.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:50 PM
jlb2782
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

I actually think if you put a windshield bag below the vent, it would look fine/better.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:49 PM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 829 Posts

I'll be watching this thread to see which way you go and how you like the vent.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:05 PM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 649 Likes on 280 Posts

I put a Batwing on a Fat Boy and fought serious buffeting. One of the solutions was I added a vent very much like that in the windshield just above the fairing. Really amazing how much difference it made. It would be in a similar position to having it above the frame on the one you are looking at. I too look over the top of the shield. I really did not like the looks of the vent at all, but since it worked so well I decided to get used to it. It doesn't take long to get used to it. I really do not even notice it while riding.

If the below the frame works just as well, I would put it below, but this is one of those thing where function trumps form. If you test one with it above the frame and it works as good as mine did, I would be afraid to send it back to try something else.

Quick Reply: The vent above or below the horizontal frame?