General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP Cost

Old 05-31-2019, 01:30 PM
fatmurse
Tourer
Received 202 Likes on 92 Posts
Default ESP Cost

Spoke with a local dealer this morning about extending my esp an additional 5 years along with tire and wheel protection.He quoted me $450 down and then $180 per month for 18 months. Total : $3690.00. Wouldn't it be better to put that money into a savings account and hope that you are trouble free for 18 months? Bike is a 2015 Road Glide with 17000 +/- miles. I've had several warranty issues with this bike like master clutch resevoir/clutch replacement, shifter replacement, primary seal replaced, two speedometers and a volt meter replaced, neutral indicator swich, yadda,, yadda. I'm hoping the odds are with me. Opinions please...

Old 05-31-2019, 01:36 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,725 Likes on 6,186 Posts

I agree with the savings account.
You have likely addressed whatever glitches it had by now.
My bikes are so old, they won't work on them anyway, let alone on warranty, and I'm not worried.
Over the years, I've made improvements that were better than how they came originally.
Over 264,000 and over 100,000 respectively. Either one can go coast to coast any day of the week.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 01:53 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,116 Likes on 2,674 Posts

that's crazy. I got an additional 5 years on my XSR900 Yamaha for about 600. I usually pass on those things but at a little over 100 bucks a year, why not.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:05 PM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Reminds me of when I bought my 2014 new. After agreeing to the deal they said I needed to see the finance guy to do the final paperwork. Finance guy proceeded to put the sales job on me for an ESP, even showed me a damaged rim. As this was going on my head was spinning. I wasn't sitting there thinking 'should I get the ESP'. My thoughts were 'I am buying the wrong brand of bike, Harley must have changed since my last one if I need this'. This was going to be my 19th bike, previously having owned BSA, Yamaha, Harley, Honda, Triumph, and Suzuki - all with no ESP. Fortunately I saw the light, told them nope, and saved a boatload of money.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:15 PM
maugusta1
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I just extended my ESP this month for 3 years with tire and wheel replacements. I own a 2011 CVO Ultra Classic with 15k miles. I purchased the motorcycle 2 years ago with 3600 miles on the motorcycle from a HD dealer. I have had zero problems with the motorcycle, with only a ABS brake flush recall. Cost was $2400.00 for 3 year ESP. Knowing that any problems within the next 3 years will be covered by the ESP makes extending the ESP sense for me.
Before my current 3 year ESP expires I can do a another ESP for a additional 5 years. Extending ESP’s can be done up to 11 years from manufacturers date. So in May of 2022 I will be able to extend my ESP for up to a additional 5 years. The ESP man at the Harley Davidson dealer told me this.
Seems to me that you have had more repairs than what might be called normal. Unless you wrench your self it can get very expensive for motorcycle repairs. Imagine having to pay for the repairs that has been performed on your motorcycle already.
Knowing that on a motorcycle trip that one telephone call can get my disabled motorcycle to a repair shop, and not cost a arm and leg for repairs.
Let us know what you decide. Looking forward to opinions from fellow forum readers.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:31 PM
dmercer3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is amazing. I got an 8 year 125,000 bumper to bumper extended warranty on my $60k F-150 for $2k and harley wants HOW much for a $20k bike warranty? GTFO....

Old 05-31-2019, 02:38 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

OP... $3690.00... Yikes... Run don't walk

My $.02... Put the money into a Roth IRA and go ride your bike. I will never buy an ESP on anything. If the dealers didn't make a boat load of money off these things they wouldn't be selling them! Plain and simple. Sure, you will get some people that it worked out, but that I believe is few and far between. Again, if it was statistically better for the buyer then the seller, then the dealers wouldn't be selling ESPs. They are not in the business of losing money, why do you think they try their best to get you to buy it in the first place?

I guess for me the question I always ask myself... If I am that unsure of a product I am thinking about buying that I need to think about buying and ESP because I think it's going to break down for sure.. Then why am I buying said product?

Last edited by jamala00; 05-31-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:03 PM
HiDrag
Road Captain
Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by fatmurse
Spoke with a local dealer this morning about extending my esp an additional 5 years along with tire and wheel protection.He quoted me $450 down and then $180 per month for 18 months. Total : $3690.00. Wouldn't it be better to put that money into a savings account and hope that you are trouble free for 18 months? Bike is a 2015 Road Glide with 17000 +/- miles. I've had several warranty issues with this bike like master clutch resevoir/clutch replacement, shifter replacement, primary seal replaced, two speedometers and a volt meter replaced, neutral indicator swich, yadda,, yadda. I'm hoping the odds are with me. Opinions please...
Estimate your repair expenses, then subtract the ESP cost, if the result is > $0 buy the plan.

In my neck of the woods, $3690 is about 335 labor hours at a Harley dealer. It's hard to imagine that you'll need 65 hours of labor/year for 5 years.
But we don't have any clue as to how you ride, store and maintain your bike.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:17 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,725 Likes on 6,186 Posts

They try to push that ESP crap with everything now (appliances, etc.)
My first thought OUT LOUD is..."How shitty is this thing I'm buying if it needs all that?"
They usually drop it right there.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:18 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,720 Likes on 6,884 Posts

Originally Posted by HiDrag
Estimate your repair expenses, then subtract the ESP cost, if the result is > $0 buy the plan.

In my neck of the woods, $3690 is about 335 labor hours at a Harley dealer. It's hard to imagine that you'll need 65 hours of labor/year for 5 years.
But we don't have any clue as to how you ride, store and maintain your bike.

Hum, your dealer rate is just $11.00 per hour? WHERE?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ESP Cost