General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here using roost deflectors or chest protectors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 11:47 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Anyone here using roost deflectors or chest protectors?

Hi guys, the post from the person who had the accident with their 14 year old daughter has had me thinking about what I can do to protect myself from something like that happening to me. From the person's description, it seems that the brunt of the impact affected his internal organs the most.

Since his post, I have been looking at chest protection and found that I can buy either a roost deflector or a chest protector. I like the idea of a roost deflector because it goes under the clothing (T-Shirt or jacket) vs the chest protector that goes over the clothing.

So I am wondering if any of you have used a roost deflector and if it provides enough protection from getting a broken rib, a collapsed lung or worse. Also, if you ride with a chest protector, do you look like a dork or have you found one that can be worn under the clothing? I ride with a helmet, gloves, boots, protective clothing and ride conservatively and cautiously. Have also ridden for many decades but as a younger lad, I never worried about accidents or injuries until these last few years.

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2019, 12:01 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

In my experience protective gear may save your skin but offers little protection against internal injuries. My armored jacket, gloves and high boots saved my skin but did nothing to protect me from a fractured C7 vertebrae, five broken ribs, a punctured lung and a separated shoulder when I went down this spring. A car pulled into the road in front of me, leaving me no time to slow and no room to evade.

The problem with accidents is that they are “accidental” and the consequences are nearly impossible to predict. My advice is to wear the gear you’re comfortable with but don’t expect it to perform miracles once the **** hits the fan.

In case you’re wondering, yes, I will ride again. My new bike is waiting at the dealership.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 06-03-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:02 PM
lloyd123
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Chest protector in the dirt. T-shirt on the street

Old 06-03-2019, 03:04 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

do you ride where there are 6 foot plus drop offs? if not, then you're probably pretty safe in that regard.

not making fun of you. i respect you for being safety conscious. you can, however, go too far with it.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:06 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

They have entered the snowmobile industry quite rapidly. Some circles you are a caveman for not wearing them.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:20 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I have a Rukka jacket that has a big D3O chest protector. It is easily removable, but I don't normally ride with it fitted as it feels a bit "too much". If course, I wouldn't be saying that after a chest impact....

Old 06-03-2019, 04:42 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,817 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Look at the Acerbis Soft Pro or X Pro line. The soft pro looks like their gear that I bought back in 2012. Of course they don't make that one anymore.......

Mine I can wear with a Dry Wick underneath and another tee over that. It's the thinest gear I ever purchased.

Right now, I'm testing a Bilt textile mesh jacket that I put the D30 flex armor in for my HD. I'm not liking the white & black color and may order an all black one. But it did work well in DC's 93+ temps last weekend.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:41 PM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador
Hi guys, the post from the person who had the accident with their 14 year old daughter has had me thinking about what I can do to protect myself from something like that happening to me. From the person's description, it seems that the brunt of the impact affected his internal organs the most.

Thanks!
Look at the Leatt full armor.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:43 PM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
My armored jacket, gloves and high boots saved my skin but did nothing to protect me from a fractured C7 vertebrae, five broken ribs, a punctured lung and a separated shoulder when I went down this spring. A car pulled into the road in front of me, leaving me no time to slow and no room to evade.
You have no idea how worse it could have been without the armor.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:18 PM
RDFDJD
Cruiser
Received 111 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm glad I ran into this posting. I have been considering a vest, and never heard of a roost deflector. I looked it up and it seems that and a chest protector may be a bit overkill IMO. I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket with armor but it is just really too hot and humid to wear it. I found a nice armored vest that has reached the top of my list. I'm still researching.

Quick Reply: Anyone here using roost deflectors or chest protectors?