General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike handling weird after new rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 03:31 AM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Bike handling weird after new rear tire

Noticed I had belts showing on rear tire recently. Budget is always a concern, so I was only able to replace the rear tire, and will replace the front as soon as I’m able.

I hace an ‘05 Ultra. Rear is lowered with blocks. Never had this issue before.

I put a new Shinko 777 rear tire on, and still have the old Harley Dunlop on the front.

At first, I thought, WOW! It’s amazing how much better it handles!!!

Bur I’ve notices it seems that the *** end “squirts” out when cornering. It’s a weird feeling. Hard to explain. It’s not slipping. It’s gripping pavement better than ever, but it FEELS like the rear of the bike is wanting to lean more that the front or something. It’s like the rear end is cornering st a different rate than the front, and is swinging out. Like I said, hard to explain.

Before, I could have set cruise, and rode with one or no hands and solid as a rock, but now it’s just..... weird. Different.

Is this due to the new rear wheel being rounded and new and the front not? The front isn’t all that bad. Will this go away when I match the front tire?

the guy at the shop said it might feel funny for first 50-100 miles. But I wasn’t expecting this.

Just want make sure there isn’t a problem I need to address.

Thanks for for any advice.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:36 AM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,529 Likes on 684 Posts

There are chemicals on the tire that is part of the manufacturing process. These have to scrub off. The first 50-100 miles should be ridden with that in mind and will give a sense of slipping as you lean into turns. This part of the tire is not always in contact with the road.

It could also be the difference in tread pattern.

The following users liked this post:
SPRINGER (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 05:07 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfuciusSay
There are chemicals on the tire that is part of the manufacturing process. These have to scrub off. The first 50-100 miles should be ridden with that in mind and will give a sense of slipping as you lean into turns. This part of the tire is not always in contact with the road.

It could also be the difference in tread pattern.
Some call it a "release agent" others call in the smooth slippery rubber but either way what allows the tire to be easily removed from the mold also prevents it from gripping the road surface as it should - at least for a while; hence the warnings as referenced above.

Separately, you old rear time was probably more square (flat at the contact patch) than your new tire. While the former would seem more stable going straight, the latter would fall into a lean better. It could be a case of you, your bike and the road surfaces getting used to your new tire - but go easy until things settle in ... which I hope they do soon for you.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:19 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

As mentioned, all new tires are slippery, and you should not ride aggressively for the first 100 miles. I always buy stock Dunlops. Even on my cars, I don’t mix tires, so if that weird feeling is still there after a 100 miles, you might need to match the front tire.

Is this the first time you bought a new rear tire?

Old 06-04-2019, 07:07 AM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser

Yes. First time. I noticed it seems like the back end wants to weave a little at speed. On the way to work on 41 I got up to 70 and it felt like the back was weaving back and forth gently. Nothing serious, but unnerving. I backed off of it and it went away, but seemed to continue until I slowed to 40 or so.

Its just very very very weird. Almost like the axle but is loose allowing the tire to get slanted to the left or right. Like a bearing with a lot of play in it. That’s not the cause, just the best way I can describe it.

All og thst being said, it DOES seem as though it gets worse as the tire heats up, which reinforces the
opinion on the new tire surface. I don’t remember noticing it when I took a quick little ride and didn’t notice it until I rode it into work.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:20 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,363 Likes on 2,203 Posts

Few things...
1st - Everything stated above is fact - New tires are slick, you were on a squared tire, etc etc
2nd - Just IMO - My kid put Shinkos on her Deluxe - These tires sucked huge. To me they felt dangerous after 300 miles worn in. I replaced them with the new style Dunlops and the bike feels great.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:24 AM
MilsurpShooter
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,817 Likes on 6,368 Posts

Brand new tires should be ridden like you're on a wet road for around 100 miles. Once you've broken them in a bit, then reassess the handling. If it's still doing it on a broken in tire then it could be what the other, much more knowledgeable folks here mentioned. The fact that your shop let you out the door with a different rear and front tire, hopefully the tread patterns matched a little and they checked because if it's a tread pattern issue causing it you'll be chasing your tail trying to figure out whats going on until the front tire is replaced.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:28 AM
1fastdude
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Shinko................................you get what you pay for!

The following 3 users liked this post by 1fastdude:
bobg03 (06-09-2019), Ingramite (07-03-2023), pgrchaplain (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 07:32 AM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser

I’m getting new, matching front this weekend

Old 06-04-2019, 07:43 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,830 Likes on 1,443 Posts

New tires can be slippery. An old mechanic told me to run new tires (slowly) through gravel and then take it easy for the first couple hundred miles.

I once watched a guy leave a shop after getting new shoes and then make a left hand 90-degree turn. Down he went. He gets up and pushes the bike back the 50-yards to the shop with a bit of skin missing on his left arm.

My old, non-HD, shop was making me sign a paper on new shoe purchases stating that I acknowledge that the new tires can be dangerous until broken in.

This may or may not be your problem. You have some good advice in the previous posts.

Quick Reply: Bike handling weird after new rear tire