Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Tire plug (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1287110-tire-plug.html)

P51Driver 06-05-2019 10:36 PM

Tire plug

Has anybody used a tire plug in a tire that had a flat? Today I noticed a nail in my rear tire and it was flat. I have 60 miles to go to my dealer I was thinking about using a tire plug to plug the hole just to be able to get to the dealer to replace the tire. I know using a tire plug isn't the best way to do this but other than having it towed I can't think of any other way to get it to my dealer.

dickey 06-05-2019 10:48 PM

'Fit were me, I'd put in the plug & ride it very slowly to the dealer. But that's me...El Cheapo here.

03fattyaz 06-05-2019 10:51 PM

Plug and play

P51Driver 06-05-2019 11:28 PM

Well I plugged the tire and went for a 30 mile ride and everything seems to be holding just fine. Looks like I'll be riding it to the dealer to get the tire replaced thanks for the replies.

galtjunk 06-06-2019 03:37 AM

I put a mushroom plug from the Stop n Go kit in an almost new rear tire.
I ran it until the tire was worn out without any problems.
Do whatever you are comfortable with.

guido4198 06-06-2019 04:22 AM

I managed to save a new tire that had picked up a nail by putting a tube in it. Patch the hole from the inside, then install a tube. Got 20,000 mi out of that tire.

KYRGultra 06-06-2019 04:38 AM

Some say never use plugs. And some say the Earth is flat.

Many years ago I was in the auto parts business. Sold LOTS of boxes of plugs. Until most cars went to steel belted radial tires plugging tires was the norm. Hard to find those that use plugs today--a lot more money in selling you a new tire.

So far, I have never ever needed to plug a tire but I carry a plug kit & small compressor on my bike. If I had a flat and could plug it I wouldn't hesitate to do so. Would then ride easy for a bit. If the plug held and didn't lose air I would not be replacing that tire if I had a decent amount of tread left.

almostakeeper 06-06-2019 05:46 AM

I picked up a tire plug/patch repair kit a few weeks back in prep for a road trip coming up. Threw it in the tour pak and hope I never have to find out if it works.

major105bc 06-06-2019 05:53 AM

I plugged and patched a buddy's new tire a couple weeks ago. Then he took it on a 4000 mile trip with no problems.

Bonnie Storm 06-06-2019 06:54 AM

I have used plugs many many many times over the years without an issue. I carry a plug kit, needle nose pliers, and rasp to clean out the hole, and a portable air pump/compressor. I've had as many as 4 plugs in one tire and took the tire to where it was almost bald before changing it. Never a leak! :D

For those who are afraid of plugs and think they might get a flat, add Ride-On.