General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clean or not

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:21 AM
b bop n bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I spent 4 hours Friday night detailing the bike for the Freedom Run on Saturday. At the run, The staging area was a gravel parking lot. 10 Minutes before first bike out it started to rain, hard. The rain lasted for about 30 minutes. Once it stopped, everyone started their bikes. The vibrating bikes started to sink in the soupy gravel.

As we pulled out, It started to rain again and it rained for most of the ride. Anyone have suggestions on how to clean baked-on gravel slurry from the chrome and paint without it scratching?

All you OCD guys find a paper bag you can breath in and out of and you'll be fine.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:24 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,412 Likes on 2,942 Posts

Originally Posted by b bop n bob
I spent 4 hours Friday night detailing the bike for the Freedom Run on Saturday. At the run, The staging area was a gravel parking lot. 10 Minutes before first bike out it started to rain, hard. The rain lasted for about 30 minutes. Once it stopped, everyone started their bikes. The vibrating bikes started to sink in the soupy gravel.

As we pulled out, It started to rain again and it rained for most of the ride. Anyone have suggestions on how to clean baked-on gravel slurry from the chrome and paint without it scratching?

All you OCD guys find a paper bag you can breath in and out of and you'll be fine.
Good gawd... I'm headed to my safe space and curl up in the fetal position...

Old 06-16-2019, 11:36 AM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Received 1,076 Likes on 450 Posts

Anyone have suggestions on how to clean baked-on gravel slurry from the chrome and paint without it scratching?
Mine has looked similar after riding in the rain. I would start at a car wash using the soap on low pressure to soak the bike, then use the high pressure rinse to get as much of the baked on stuff off, being careful not to spray high pressure on the wheel bearing areas or the hand controls, low pressure only for those. Probably need to repeat a couple times, then hand wash / detail.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:57 AM
lonesum
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 325 Likes on 217 Posts

It gives it the appearance of a well ridden and loved motorcycle, I like it..

Old 06-16-2019, 11:57 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

That crap is hard to get off of the engine cases.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:51 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by RDFDJD
Don't you just hate Florida this time of year. I went from Sanibel Island through Okeechobee to get to the East Coast and this was taken half way. I had to bring the bike to a DIY Car Wash and pressure wash it to clean them off.

Damn it Man!! Let the meek stay home, that may be the worst bug pic I've ever seen.
It happens, no one likes it but if you can laugh it off, you can wash it off. I'd still rather ride than wash. Maybe I should rephrase that. As many have said a few hours in the garage with good tunes, the bike on a lift where my old *** can reach it without to much bending and cold beer while washing, wiping and cleaning, makes for a relaxing and enjoyable night. But missing a ride because the roads are wet from rain that passed or because it might rain is not my game.
Damn Crazy **** down there though

Old 06-16-2019, 06:17 PM
Death Valley Ultra
Tourer
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell

Damn it Man!! Let the meek stay home, that may be the worst bug pic I've ever seen.
It happens, no one likes it but if you can laugh it off, you can wash it off. I'd still rather ride than wash. Maybe I should rephrase that. As many have said a few hours in the garage with good tunes, the bike on a lift where my old *** can reach it without to much bending and cold beer while washing, wiping and cleaning, makes for a relaxing and enjoyable night. But missing a ride because the roads are wet from rain that passed or because it might rain is not my game.
Damn Crazy **** down there though
Wholly molly if I never washed my bike for 15,000 miles in the desert here I wouldn't have that many bugs!

Old 06-16-2019, 06:20 PM
Woffski
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I keep mine spotless, as much as possible. To each, his own.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:27 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Death Valley Ultra
Wholly molly if I never washed my bike for 15,000 miles in the desert here I wouldn't have that many bugs!
You dry climate guys have no idea how lucky you are when it comes to bugs. That's a wet climate thing.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:47 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,274 Likes on 5,557 Posts

my bike lives outside (under cover, but apartment dweller-no garage), so is typically in a state somewhere between dirty and OH MY GOD DID YOU FIND THAT IN A BARN!?!?!?!

last time I washed it, I probably took off a couple of grand worth of "patina"

Quick Reply: Clean or not