General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More kick start questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:02 PM
Micromark
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default More kick start questions...

“Elvira” didn’t take any blood today....
Got her “goin’” about 5-6 kicks after priming. She’s warming up to me... 😊
I now swear at her under my breath so she doesn’t hear me(I hope)...
Does the S&S Hi4N Electronic ignition with the “Kick Start Algorithm” really make a difference?? She currently has the Dynatech S electronic ignition....

Last edited by Micromark; 06-10-2019 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Attachment too “huuuuuge”
Old 06-10-2019, 11:27 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

i had a kick start bike for years and never had it kick back on me or anything, It was a 1974 honda CB750 but still a kick start.

The following users liked this post:
Micromark (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 04:47 AM
iamcmf99
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 111 Posts

I have a '66 XLCH, with magneto. When I bought it they had the mag locked down in a spot that was all around usable, getting rid of the left hand advance grip. Used to take 3 kicks to get her started. Every now and then the kicker would slip through, causing me enough knee pain to cry. It now sits in the back of my garage in pieces. I keep thinking about redoing her...maybe some day.

Micromark (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 07:40 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,740 Likes on 6,191 Posts

I did NOT have a good experience with the Crane HI-4. Spent most of one summer trying to figure out why it was intermittently eating spark plug wires. You wrote S&S Hi4N, so I don't know if it's the same thing.
IMHO, that Crane ignition is for show bikes.

The following 2 users liked this post by RHPAW:
Dehammer (06-12-2019), Micromark (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 07:53 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

For a kick bike skip the Crane and keep the Dyna S and it seriously sounds like you need to either learn how to kick it, do a good tune and check for intake leaks. One thing with the Dyna S you need a good quality mechanical advance, not the usual elcheapo **** everybody uses.

Micromark (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 08:14 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
I did NOT have a good experience with the Crane HI-4. Spent most of one summer trying to figure out why it was intermittently eating spark plug wires. You wrote S&S Hi4N, so I don't know if it's the same thing.
IMHO, that Crane ignition is for show bikes.
It's the same, S&S bought out the Crane stuff when Crane went under.

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
For a kick bike skip the Crane and keep the Dyna S and it seriously sounds like you need to either learn how to kick it, do a good tune and check for intake leaks. One thing with the Dyna S you need a good quality mechanical advance, not the usual elcheapo **** everybody uses.
I second this. I've had good luck with the Dyna S and like Twizted said, get the good quality advance, with the bearing.

The following 2 users liked this post by TroubleHead Fred:
Micromark (06-11-2019), RHPAW (06-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:37 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,381 Likes on 4,119 Posts

Originally Posted by Micromark
“Elvira” didn’t take any blood today....
Got her “goin’” about 5-6 kicks after priming. She’s warming up to me... 😊
I now swear at her under my breath so she doesn’t hear me(I hope)...
Does the S&S Hi4N Electronic ignition with the “Kick Start Algorithm” really make a difference?? She currently has the Dynatech S electronic ignition....
What is your sequence when you go to start her? Every bike seems to like something just a little different. I've always had kick-start only bikes (except my current is kick and e-start), and I can tell you, every little thing matters. From the timing, push rod adjustment, carb, choke or enricher setting, how many wicks on the throttle, how many kick throughs with ign. off (or not), your plugs, your plugs gap, your points or e-ing., etc.

My current Shovel, which I've had for quite a while now, was the hardest to figure out. It's also the only Dyna ignition I've ever had. Strangely enough, mine seems to really like a particular spark plug (autolites).

Use a particular sequence and try kicking. If it doesn't start in 3-5 kicks, next time change "one" thing in your sequence and see how that works. It can be time consuming, but once you find what she likes, you will be able to cold start you bike in 1-3 kicks every time.
I also have always stood to the side of my bike when kicking and really put my *** into it.

The following 2 users liked this post by AJSHOVEL:
0maha (06-11-2019), Micromark (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 04:47 PM
Micromark
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a good clean set of plugs, snugged up the intake clamps (one was fairly loose) and fresh gas.
My start sequence with an S&S Super E is to give the throttle one good twist all the way through. Key off and kick her over 3-4 times to prime. Key on, enricher all the way up, no throttle. Usually on the second kick at compression it will fire off but won’t keep running... sometimes I can get her going after clearing it but most times not...
I think I am too concerned about fooding it.
Its all good, just trying to figure out what she wants. It’s getting better for sure. I had read some things about kick start bikes being easier to start with points and saw that S&S had the ignition that could give that type of start....

Old 06-11-2019, 05:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Nope you are flooding it, with a Super E if the bike's anywhere near tuned right you pull up the enrichener, find the top of the compression stroke, no throttle, turn the key on and push it thru. On a bad day shouldn't be more than 2 kicks even big inch motors. takes more than 3 back off for 60 seconds then try again.

If a clamp was loose you need to change the intake seals, it'll still suck air otherwise.

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
Colin455 (06-13-2019), Micromark (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 05:31 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Micromark
I have a good clean set of plugs, snugged up the intake clamps (one was fairly loose) and fresh gas.
My start sequence with an S&S Super E is to give the throttle one good twist all the way through. Key off and kick her over 3-4 times to prime. Key on, enricher all the way up, no throttle. Usually on the second kick at compression it will fire off but won’t keep running... sometimes I can get her going after clearing it but most times not...
I think I am too concerned about fooding it.
Its all good, just trying to figure out what she wants. It’s getting better for sure. I had read some things about kick start bikes being easier to start with points and saw that S&S had the ignition that could give that type of start....
Mine is similar.

From dead cold: Two (exactly) full twists of the throttle. Kick it over a couple of times to prime the motor.I give mine just a slight hint of enricher....maybe 1/4 of the full travel on the lever. Find the compression stroke and boom. Should light right off.

Then again, some days it goes like this:

The following 2 users liked this post by 0maha:
Malleck (06-13-2019), Micromark (06-13-2019)

Quick Reply: More kick start questions...