General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson's Dark Custom Lineup was an Edgy Styling Exercise

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:04 PM
Curated Content Editor
HDF Editor
Received 755 Likes on 372 Posts
Default Harley-Davidson's Dark Custom Lineup was an Edgy Styling Exercise

By Bruce Montcombroux

These blacked-out Harleys represent a unique breed of bikers.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:42 PM
Johnny Mayday
HDF Town Crier
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

Love the shot of the bike with the skateboard! I've injured myself — knock on wood — on those things far more than bikes over the years. Ha ha!

Old 06-12-2019, 01:08 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 44,481 Likes on 16,314 Posts

If I were in charge of the MoCO, I'd be advertising at any event where young folks are into risk sports. I'd be sponsoring the X games, skateboarding, skiing (water & snow) competitions, BMX bike races, dirt bike racing, surfing, bull riding...etc.

Those are the kids that get a kick out of physical excitement rather than sitting on the couch playing on their Xbox or phone and are likely future customers.

Also where's the fat old guy like me in the advertising that likes the blacked out motorcycle look? My gray hair (what's left) and beard go nicely with it. Does it always have to be young skinny models selling Harleys?

Last edited by Walter White; 06-12-2019 at 01:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mattbastard (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter White
If I were in charge of the MoCO, I'd be advertising at any event where young folks are into risk sports. I'd be sponsoring the X games, skateboarding, skiing (water & snow) competitions, BMX bike races, dirt bike racing, surfing, bull riding...etc.

Those are the kids that get a kick out of physical excitement rather than sitting on the couch playing on their Xbox or phone and are likely future customers.

Also where's the fat old guy like me in the advertising that likes the blacked out motorcycle look? My gray hair (what's left) and beard go nicely with it. Does it always have to be young skinny models selling Harleys?

That's a really good idea. Come to think about it, I can't remember the last time I seen a Harley advertisement outside of motorcycle centric events except for the rare, occasional commercial during the evening news (which young folks don't watch...)

Old 06-12-2019, 02:57 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,363 Likes on 2,203 Posts

[QUOTE=Curated Content Editor;18322934]Harley-Davidson's Dark Custom Lineup was an Edgy Styling Exercise
By Bruce Montcombroux

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
By Bruce Montcombroux

Um no... Its a unique brand of hipsters.... Quite frankly, I've never seen anyone who looks like that on a bike like these... Occupy Wall Street doesnt pay that much..

Also theres a huge diff btw a biker and a motorcyclist. I bet of the 4 people in the photo none of them ride.

Walter White (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 07:10 PM
Johnny Mayday
HDF Town Crier
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter White

This a great idea. Been a long time since I've been to a slate contest, but it would be interesting to see a booth there...

Old 06-13-2019, 09:36 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Received 5,228 Likes on 1,858 Posts

I'm waiting for a bike maker to step up and offer a model coated with Vantablack.

Harley-Davidson's Dark Custom Lineup was an Edgy Styling Exercise-iexej6s.jpg

https://www.surreynanosystems.com/vantablack

Old 06-14-2019, 09:19 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,204 Likes on 739 Posts

It's a marketing ploy. Build it blacked out and pay extra for some chrome. When I bought my 07 Street Bob in October 2006, it WAS cool. Blacked out and stood out in the crowd. Then the Sons of Anarchy got popular, "Club Bikes" and all the WANNABES had to copy it. So the MoCo jumped on the bandwagon and blacked out everything. Now if ya want some chrome ya pay a lot extra for it. Look at what they did to the decked out in chrome Heritage Softail Classic turned into . . . . a blacked out TURD.

pahogrider (06-15-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 09:47 PM
Pablo94
Tourer
Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts

[QUOTE=uncle kebo;18324794]
By Bruce Montcombroux

Um no... Its a unique brand of hipsters.... Quite frankly, I've never seen anyone who looks like that on a bike like these... Occupy Wall Street doesnt pay that much..

Also theres a huge diff btw a biker and a motorcyclist. I bet of the 4 people in the photo none of them ride.
I would disagree. I would be to be in motorcycle modeling photos where you might actually ride you have to take a safety course and have a license to qualify...

Old 06-15-2019, 05:23 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

[QUOTE=uncle kebo;18324794]
By Bruce Montcombroux

There are two young guys that live near me that look like that and ride....But one rides an old Knucklehead and the other one rides a Pan/Shovel.
I have gone down there a few times to have a beer and talk motorcycles, They and their wives are very respectful and are not "Bobber Snobs" They like my Dyna as much as I like their old choppers.
Hangin' out with them is like stepping back in time because they remind me of how I was when I was in high school.

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson's Dark Custom Lineup was an Edgy Styling Exercise