General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To cover or not to cover, that is the question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 06:14 AM
highwayman50
Stellar HDF Member
Received 965 Likes on 621 Posts
Default To cover or not to cover, that is the question!

I have recently moved, and the area I am in now shows signs of rodents. I have taken steps to remove/control them but, in the past I seem to remember reading about covering a bike in the garage promoting rodents to crawl up under the cover and chew on wires and such.
I have 2 scoots and one would stay under a cover more often due to less use. I'm only covering it because its amazing how dirty a bike can get in a garage just sitting there.
Anyway, what's y'alls opinion on the cover promoting a welcome mat for vermin?

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:20 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,896 Likes on 2,552 Posts

I use old flannel sheets to cover the bikes indoors, easier to remove and install then an actual bike cover. I would expect that would be less tempting to a rodent yet it is quite effective for keeping dust off the bike. The only issue I ever had was one cat (ours) that found the flannel nice and loved to sleep on the seat of my Road Glide. When the sheet wasn't there, he wanted nothing to do with it. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:31 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,656 Likes on 6,424 Posts

I have 2 bikes and never cover either of them. A bit of dust and dog hair doesn't bother me. But having rodents would bother me. I recently got rid of a mouse using a simple mouse trap. There are other ways, such as electronic devices.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:38 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Yep they will.

a few thoughts.

1. Use a clear plastic lightly fitted dust cover over the bike so light will penetrate... dark is their environment. Keep area around bike clear of any clutter.
2. Smelly things like "champhor (moth) *****" will also deter them from making camp. I know there are products to keep yard rodents away, check out Lowes.
3. Stratigicly placed baited traps will be tell tale to know if any are trying to find a home.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:49 AM
highwayman50
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
I have 2 bikes and never cover either of them. A bit of dust and dog hair doesn't bother me. But having rodents would bother me. I recently got rid of a mouse using a simple mouse trap. There are other ways, such as electronic devices.
I agree, dust beats rodent damage but, I'm asking just to get real life info on covering the bike. Having to wash a bike everytime I want to take a ride on it is a pita if a cover does not promote rodents.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:51 AM
highwayman50
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by FrankEV
Yep they will.

a few thoughts.

1. Use a clear plastic lightly fitted dust cover over the bike so light will penetrate... dark is their environment. Keep area around bike clear of any clutter.
2. Smelly things like "champhor (moth) *****" will also deter them from making camp. I know there are products to keep yard rodents away, check out Lowes.
3. Stratigicly placed baited traps will be tell tale to know if any are trying to find a home.
I have set out traps, and I remember my Grandfather telling people when I was a kid, he had seen rats eat mothballs. Thanks though.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:59 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Originally Posted by highwayman50
I agree, dust beats rodent damage but, I'm asking just to get real life info on covering the bike. Having to wash a bike everytime I want to take a ride on it is a pita if a cover does not promote rodents.
You have to wash it every time you want to ride?

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 07:12 AM
kcfocust
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

I had the same issue with rodents in my old garage. Getting a Total Enclosure System really put my mind at ease.

https://www.tesproducts.com/products...ort-bikes.html

Old 06-12-2019, 07:18 AM
DeputyDawg
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Place a few moth ***** under the bike and then cover it up

Old 06-12-2019, 07:26 AM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

If I had rodents in my garage crawling on and spreading germs plus destroying valuable assets, I'd first call an Exterminator.

Quick Reply: To cover or not to cover, that is the question!