General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grass clippings death

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 07:55 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Mertoid
Yes, apparently there were grass clippings on the road, but that road is as straight and flat as they come. I've ridden it many times. Sorry to hear about such a tragic accident but there must be more to it than just grass on the road.
The husband is a dunce and went into panic mode when he saw the grass, The wife couldn't stop in time after he screwed up because she was probably an inexperienced rider...Her death is 100% the husbands fault.
That my opinion, Yours may be different.

The following 3 users liked this post by Greezey Rider:
Hecklerboy (06-14-2021), lonesum (06-13-2019), Vec (06-11-2021)
Old 06-13-2019, 08:18 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
it sure is amazing how many experts we have here.... trash/debris/grass/leaves/dirt/gravel in the road is of no danger to these experts. They simply ride through it. My neighbor, and experienced rider, lost his life on a curve on the highway due to gravel on the road. Hit the gravel, front end went out and he hit the guard rail. Yes on the helmet, he was wearing. He may have survived had the guard rail not severed an artery and he bled out before help got there.
So i would love to have these experts give the rest of us unskilled, inexperienced riders lesson on how to ride over trash and debris.
Yep, we got a lot of keyboard road warriors here that can pass judgement with their impeccable "expertise."

The article is way too vague to nail down any one probable cause, most likely due to several factors happening at once.

The following 2 users liked this post by ThePaintPirate:
oldbie (06-13-2019), tar_snake (06-22-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 08:31 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by beezwiz
Grass Clippings? What do you do in the fall when leaves are on the road? Really?
Exactly, wet leaves in the Fall. Around me here in the Spring and the first popped yesterday....Fish Flies all over the road...slimy little devils.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:32 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
Yep, we got a lot of keyboard road warriors here that can pass judgement with their impeccable "expertise."

The article is way too vague to nail down any one probable cause, most likely due to several factors happening at once.
Yes, that is the cause of most accidents...a combination of factors leading up to the incident.

The following users liked this post:
zeman1 (06-14-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 09:01 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,381 Likes on 4,119 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
it sure is amazing how many experts we have here.... trash/debris/grass/leaves/dirt/gravel in the road is of no danger to these experts. They simply ride through it. My neighbor, and experienced rider, lost his life on a curve on the highway due to gravel on the road. Hit the gravel, front end went out and he hit the guard rail. Yes on the helmet, he was wearing. He may have survived had the guard rail not severed an artery and he bled out before help got there.
So i would love to have these experts give the rest of us unskilled, inexperienced riders lesson on how to ride over trash and debris.
Lesson #1 - PAY ATTENTION AT ALL TIMES.
Lesson #2 - There are hazards constantly on the road from leaves, grass, rocks, sand, gravel, trees, sticks, potholes, grease, oil, stuff spilled off back of trucks, wildlife, livestock, etc....... see Lesson #1, ride and adjust accordingly.

That's about the best advice I can give.

Long lonesome highwayman (06-14-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 10:01 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Why we would not encourage people to do something is beyond me. It is more useful than those useless look twice signs. This is something g you could actually achieve by change behavior

Sure lots of other stuff in road that my or may not kill you, but no reason to make it safer if you can.

Let's quite enforcing drunk driving,since you can dodge deer if driving slow enough

Old 06-13-2019, 10:03 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Many of these threads make you realize, many people only have one tool in their toolbox.

back again (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 10:28 AM
anthony_b.
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

....someone here once posted about a similar accident and they said if you go down and crash due to a road hazard you weren't paying attention enough, you weren't ready enough or you were riding too fast for the conditions. Instances & conditions change quickly that will affect a bike much, much more than a car.

tar_snake (06-22-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 10:39 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,132 Likes on 3,505 Posts

Nobody can possibly know why it happened. Sad to see the lack of compassion here, but I digress. There are hazards everywhere. Some you're prepared for, some you're not. Some will know what to do when those hazards present themselves, some will not. Everyone who throws a leg over a bike should know this. If you don't, you're kidding yourself or disturbingly naive. If you've been motorcycling long enough, you've either had some form of a crash, or will have some form of a crash. The odds are against us.

Personally, I ride a bit aggressively. By that I mean I will be out on some highway, cruise set to 65 but never slowing for the turns, I just maintain speed in the curves. That's my exhilaration factor. In this area I have to contend with tar snakes, gravel, pig/cow ****/****, grass clippings, horse ****, oil and gas spills, you name it, in said turns. Someday it may get me. When it does, don't try to label me an inexperienced rider. I'm 52 years old and have been riding since I was 10. I have run into my share of "surprises", but made it this far. Nobody wants to die for a sport they love, but we must always know it's a possibility. Take calculated risks. Enjoy it while you can. Coulda/woulda/shoulda doesn't belong here. She deserves better than that.

Ride on.

The following 7 users liked this post by strych9:
1LargeDog (06-15-2019), 2goldens (06-22-2019), 5wheels (06-13-2019), BelchFire (06-11-2021), Cygnusx51 (06-14-2019), iamcmf99 (06-13-2019), wyotana (06-15-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-13-2019, 10:40 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,116 Likes on 2,674 Posts

people shouldn't be blowing **** in the road. How do they like it when cars go by and dump their fast food trash on their lawn?

regardless of their experience of riding etc, They were't doing wheelies at 80mph in traffic.. they were out trying to enjoy all the thrills and freedom of being in the open air. Maybe they were new at it, I don't know all the facts. its still awful to read when a rider goes down. There's only one way to get experience, that's time in the seat.

tar_snake (06-22-2019)

Quick Reply: Grass clippings death