General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Training

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 05:17 AM
Uncle Salty
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Practice ain't worth much if you don't know how to practice. Get the DVD for $20. Your skills will sky rocket using the techniques in this video. https://www.ridelikeapro.com/store/d...ike-a-pro-dvd/

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Salty:
Idahoboi (06-14-2019), JekyllnHyde (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 10:55 AM
harley6768
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
Look up DHOG Motorcycle Skilled Riders on Facebook and join the group. They practice weekly in the Fort Worth area. Good bunch of folks, many are personal friends of mine.

And if you really want to rent a bike to train on, check out Lock & Lean in Illinois.

Use split shaft collars to protect your engine and bag guards. 1.25” ID for the front, .875” for the rear. Leave them on all the time, no one will even notice them.
Yeah I have seen those..I had a buddy that used those and the collar got bent and he had to buy a new set of engine guards cause he couldn't get it off...plus they look cheesy on a Harley to leave on all the time....

Old 06-14-2019, 11:13 AM
KDF72
Cruiser
Received 146 Likes on 62 Posts

When I got my 09 Electra Glide retired police bike it had been 2 years since I'd had a big bike. I took a Ride Like a Pro class and it's incredible what you can do when someone competent shows you how.

I was a pursuit driving instructor in a prior life and during my training felt the same way. My God, you can make a POS Crown Victoria do crazy stuff once you know how.

I bought a set of the crash guard umm plastic guards and leave them on. It's a retired police bike, after all.

The following users liked this post:
MajorKG (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 12:49 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
OK, I watched a couple of the videos. No ground shaking enlightenment in any of them but I do have a question. On one of his logos he has, "Join MC Rider to stop the lie. End the lie." What is this lie he wants me to stop???
Stop the lie probably means stop subscribing to other videos and subscribe to his. Just a guess.

Like golf, there are lots of people selling skill videos. They seem to offer some good advice and things to practice. The only thing I see that I find questionable is that they always seem to focus on a small range of the riders skillset and the advice is always passed off as the end-all and be-all of riding. Other skills can get ignored if one routine becomes the focus. Granted, low-speed handling is a skill we all need to keep sharp but it's just one component of riding. e.g...riding like a pro means being to handle in all conditions and situations, not just doing low-speed full-lock U-turns around a pylon in a parking lot. I would spend just as much time with gaining and maintaining skills with emergency braking,high-speed obstacle avoidance, and other drills and techniques. You don't want to ignore this other stuff. These things are not as sexy and don't get the focus of skill or training videos so they rarely get any air time or discussions.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:14 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Here you go.

Ride Like a Pro Houston

Remove your saddle bags. Pick up some tubular pipe insulation for Home Depot or Lowes to wrap around your engine guard and some painters tape to tape up anything else that might touch the ground.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:32 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell
Buy a cheap metric bike and beat it up in an empty parking lot. Its hard to learn to ride if you are afraid of scratching your bike. Learning to push your limits (in a controlled environment like an empty school parking lot on sunday maybe) on a bike you don't care about will teach you more and teach you faster than riding scared ever will. If you can find a class with input from a good instructor you'll be even better off but again do it on a bike you aren't afraid to scratch. You can find small a lightweight cruiser for less the what its going to cost you to repair a new harley that's been laid down.
just my $.02
Very good post. Riding fearful lends to not learning. We try to instill this in new riders, but sometimes their ego gets in the way, and they still want a literbike. Sure wish I could find their friends...

Old 06-14-2019, 01:35 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Lol, damn man, no need to jump that far. Ride your bike and just practice. Find a parking lot or a side street with no houses and traffic and just work on your slow speed turns. Buy a set of bag guards on eBay for half of what HD charges. You’re going slow so the bike won’t tumble and flip over smashing everything. If you stay in control, you can gently lay it on the pavement and the crash bars will be the only thing touching the ground other than the tires.

If you mess them up a little, just buy a new set for a few hundred $. Much cheaper than a 2nd bike.

You can also wrap the crash bars to protect them. Use rubber hose, hockey tape, pool noodles, etc.
This, exactly!

Bag guards are cheap, and they work at slow speed. If you're worried about scratching the chrome on either the crash guards or the bag guards, an old piece of hose or similar will protect them pretty dang well. There's no guarantee you won't scratch something if you drop it, but from experience, odds are in your favor that you won't with the right precautions.

There's no other way to learn this skill than practice. A school may help shorten the curve by showing you some tips and tricks, but you'll still ultimately have to practice.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:35 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Seems you need to work on 3 things.

1. Clutch & throttle control. Feathering the clutch and good throttle control is essential in slow speed maneuvering.

2. Using the rear brake and staying off the front brake. Lightly using the rear brake at slow speeds gives the bike stability and helps keep the bike up. Note: Don't use the rear brake while turning because it'll straighten up the bike making it difficult to make the turn, but use the rear brake to scrub off speed (if needed) before you make the turn.

3. Body position. Head up and eyes forward. Don't look down at your forks because that's where you'll end up...on the ground. Keep you head up and look forward in the direction you want to get to. To make u-turn type maneuvers turn your shoulders in the direction you want to turn with head up and eyes looking far ahead at where you want to go, not where you are. Make sure you have enough bend in your elbows to control and steer the bike.

Take the MSF training if you haven't. Take the bike to a parking lot and practice practice practice. It takes a little time. Good luck.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:36 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Northwest motorcycle schools offers a "Ride like a cop" program.
Bear in mind, motor officers practice before EVERY shift. Or daily, whichever is more frequent.
I applaud the op for wanting to be better.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:43 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Salty
Practice ain't worth much if you don't know how to practice. Get the DVD for $20. Your skills will sky rocket using the techniques in this video. https://www.ridelikeapro.com/store/d...ike-a-pro-dvd/
This is spot on! Practicing without knowing the mechanics, physics, body positioning etc is just wasting a lot of time. I say the same thing when I teach baseball to kids.

The following users liked this post:
Brian15 (06-14-2019)

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Training