General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King, Custom Seat

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 08:29 AM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer
Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Road King, Custom Seat

Seats seem to be an issue for any OEM equipped bike - I would like to ask for input from the forum from riders that have had successful outcomes for lowering and maintaining a comfortable ride for long hours in the saddle. I just got a new Road King and would like to loose about an inch in height. Doesn't sound like much but it is just that little bit to have me comfortably flat footed. I would prefer to not modify the seat that came with the bike or a lowering kit for the frame. Went that route on a Yamaha Stratoliner and I want to keep the road clearance on RK. Corbin looks / sounds great but $$$$. Reviews of Mustang, Saddlemen, etc., all seem to have a mixture of success or not. I want to have a solo seat, wife will not be on this one.

For what it is worth, the existing seat is great for me as far as comfort is concerned. I can certainly ride for hours at a time on it but just want that additional security. I am not a big guy which might be why the stock seat is comfortable.

Any advice appreciated.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:07 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

Look at the seat on my bike in my sig. pic. It is called a "Stripper" seat, & it was offered for touring bikes around 10 years ago. I actually have 2; one I bought as NOS from a dealership, & the other I bought of Craig's, mainly 'cause it was cheap & I wanted a spare. It is the lowest seat I could find for a RK, and it is surprisingly comfortable. Part # is 53355-07a, or 53355-02a (can't read it too well) I think it is also the best looking seat for a RK, and you a could do a nationwide parts search for it. Or try a Badlander; should be still making them. You could try a LePera bare bones, but I can't vouch for its comfort as I have never tried one.

Last edited by dickey; 06-16-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:57 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

I have been reading up on Ultimate Seats for Road Kings. They make one designed not to raise the rider, i.e. for guys like us who are not tall. I am 5'7" and can comfortably flat-foot my King but don't want to sit an higher on the bike. Haven't tried the Ultimate yet though.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:19 PM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer

Originally Posted by dickey
Look at the seat on my bike in my sig. pic. It is called a "Stripper" seat, & it was offered for touring bikes around 10 years ago. I actually have 2; one I bought as NOS from a dealership, & the other I bought of Craig's, mainly 'cause it was cheap & I wanted a spare. It is the lowest seat I could find for a RK, and it is surprisingly comfortable. Part # is 53355-07a, or 53355-02a (can't read it too well) I think it is also the best looking seat for a RK, and you a could do a nationwide parts search for it. Or try a Badlander; should be still making them. You could try a LePera bare bones, but I can't vouch for its comfort as I have never tried one.
Thanks - I will try and check it all out. Nice looking bike. The seat looks minimal - can you ride all day for several days and stay comfortable?

Old 06-16-2019, 10:20 PM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
I have been reading up on Ultimate Seats for Road Kings. They make one designed not to raise the rider, i.e. for guys like us who are not tall. I am 5'7" and can comfortably flat-foot my King but don't want to sit an higher on the bike. Haven't tried the Ultimate yet though.
Thanks - will check it out.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:24 PM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
My buddy has a ultimate seat on his Road King and swears by it. He had a sportier before and could only do less than a 100 miles before he was done, bad back issue, however with the ultimate he can ride all day.

When ordering a ultimate they will ask your height and weight, they re a little costly but never heard a bad word said about them

Old 06-16-2019, 11:47 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty Bucket
Thanks - I will try and check it all out. Nice looking bike. The seat looks minimal - can you ride all day for several days and stay comfortable?
Well, the farthest I have ridden was Daytona (about 140 miles) & no problem. It is surprisingly comfortable for a skinny seat.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:06 AM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer

Thanks - I have been on-line and they look like a possibility but none look as slim as yours. Will call them - they offer a money back satisfaction clause which I don't think anyone else does.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:07 AM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer

Does anyone haven experience with Corbin?

Old 06-17-2019, 07:55 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

corbin is a love em or hate em thing. their seats are very firm, which actually helps for long hours in the saddle. they are pricey.

I've been using the stock cvo seats on my bikes since 2012. without the pillion, they can be had for reasonable money. they look good, and (imo) are comfortable. this seat cost me less than $300.

Quick Reply: Road King, Custom Seat