General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible sound at start up. Starter or battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 10:54 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,190 Likes on 5,617 Posts
Default Horrible sound at start up. Starter or battery?

I have an 09 Road King Classic with just a tick under 40K on the clock. I was having problems with the "hot start" compensator issue a while back so last year I put the Screamin Eagle compensator in the bike. That helped for a while but recently I have gotten an intermittent horrible noise when I hot start it. Its a loud bang followed by some grinding noise. It sounds like its coming form the starter and I only get this noise when the bike is hot. Like when I stop for gas and go to restart, it does it. If I let the bike sit, even for 5 or 10 minutes to cool a little it doesn't do it. I thought maybe a tooth was broke off inside the starter housing but a buddy told me it might just need a new battery. As in the battery is too weak to turn it over, but I don't see how that would cause the loud noises I sometimes hear.
The battery is pretty old so I use a tender on it every day but even still it takes a second to start when I hit the button. I hold the starter button and theres a half second delay before the motor turns over. When it does turn over it is slow and labored.
What do you guys think is going on?

Old 06-17-2019, 11:58 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

My vote is for the battery. It's the first thing to eliminate. I guess you'd rather get a new one than a new starter anyway. So get it charged up and load test it.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:29 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,561 Likes on 730 Posts

Battery....

Old 06-17-2019, 05:02 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

I get the same thing on my 1993 Heritage. I don't know what causes it but here's what I've found seems to prevent it.

What I learned to do is after fueling up or whatever reason made me stop, I give the the starter button a quick bump then press it to start. That quick bump seems to eliminate the scream and grind. Your results may vary but give it a try.

Last edited by Hey Man; 06-17-2019 at 05:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sorce (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 05:41 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,667 Likes on 6,679 Posts

Your starter clutch (bendix) is bad.

The following users liked this post:
2AMGuy (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 06:21 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

I was going to say compensator until you told me that you already replaced it with the SE version, which IIRC came standard starting with 2011. I had similar noises on my 2010 Road King, went with the SE compensator and problem solved. So, unless you compensator went bad, which hasn't been a reported problem with the SE ones, it's time to start eliminating other variables.

Hooking up a strong battery that gives plenty of voltage should be easy - even if you have to rig up some temporary cables in line.

How long ago did you replace the compensator? How did the starter gear look?

Old 06-17-2019, 08:19 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
This is most likely the problem. I replaced the one on my RK earlier this Spring, was making noises like described. Replaced it with All ***** and all is good.

Last edited by TroubleHead Fred; 06-17-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:06 PM
Stinger1
Road Master
Received 932 Likes on 428 Posts

I'd be checking that comp. again.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:44 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,190 Likes on 5,617 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
I get the same thing on my 1993 Heritage. I don't know what causes it but here's what I've found seems to prevent it.

What I learned to do is after fueling up or whatever reason made me stop, I give the the starter button a quick bump then press it to start. That quick bump seems to eliminate the scream and grind. Your results may vary but give it a try.
Thanks, I will give this a try as a band aid, but I will still try to figure it out and fix it. Otherwise its going to leave me sitting somewhere someday at the worst possible time. That's usually how that **** goes right?

Originally Posted by Tommy C
This was my first thoughts as well.

Originally Posted by Jehu
I was going to say compensator until you told me that you already replaced it with the SE version, which IIRC came standard starting with 2011. I had similar noises on my 2010 Road King, went with the SE compensator and problem solved. So, unless you compensator went bad, which hasn't been a reported problem with the SE ones, it's time to start eliminating other variables.

Hooking up a strong battery that gives plenty of voltage should be easy - even if you have to rig up some temporary cables in line.

How long ago did you replace the compensator? How did the starter gear look?
The comp was replaced about a year and a half ago.

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
This is most likely the problem. I replaced the one on my RK earlier this Spring, was making noises like described. Replaced it with All ***** and all is good.
I will likely go the same route, and probably swap the battery as well. Its time anyway the battery is 7 or 8 years old.

Originally Posted by Stinger1
I'd be checking that comp. again.
I really don't think its the comp. I remember the sound the comp made and this is different. Its more of a grinding noise.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:52 AM
Bass Player
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,925 Likes on 1,056 Posts

The battery is old (how old) so I'd start there as well. How long has it been since you checked the battery cables? Tight, clean on both ends? That would be my first check (cables) then the battery anyway if you haven't already.

Quick Reply: Horrible sound at start up. Starter or battery?