General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left hand thumb pain

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 01:17 PM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,414 Likes on 4,119 Posts
Default Left hand thumb pain

I'm loving my bike, but my left thumb near the base is bugging me lately and the pad of the thumb is a bit numb.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Old 06-18-2019, 02:04 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

my hands have always got numb on bikes i just deal with it but as i am getting older it is happening sooner and harder to deal with. i have noticed since i am trying lots of combinations that pulling the bars in just a bit and using a backrest have tremendously helped. so i am leaning towards the fact that the issue is maybe nerve based and also has to do with posture. if i ride without the backrest i can only go about 30 minutes till both my hands go numb.

i also noticed (since i have been trough a bunch of bars already) that the lower the number on pull back the better the scenario. if my hands are twisted out at the wrists to grab the bars it is way worse.

Last edited by Jersey Drew; 06-18-2019 at 02:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CaffeineBuzz (06-19-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 02:30 PM
Moose2011FLHX
Tourer
Received 120 Likes on 92 Posts

Try riding with your left thumb on the switch cover parallel with the ground and invest in some good grips. I use Avon memory foam grips and they absorb a lot of the vibration.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:35 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,819 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
I'm loving my bike, but my left thumb near the base is bugging me lately and the pad of the thumb is a bit numb.

A shot in the dark here: Are you sitting straight up while riding or slumping in the saddle? I'm asking because when I slump, I get a slight tingling in the paws. When I sit up straight, it goes away. That is pressure on nerves. Maybe in the neck or back.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:06 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

I have carpal and cubital tunnel syndrome. My left hand/wrist quickly falls asleep. I’ve swapped bars and grips, not really helping much. I’ve put off surgery but it’s looking more likely that it’s gonna be my only relief

Old 06-18-2019, 05:18 PM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

I have the same thing but not from riding ! My computer 'mouse' is to blame ! Final diagnosis from the Docs. was the offer of an operation that 'might' make me lose any feeling in my thumb ! Needles to say I got used to it and only have a little bit of 'lack of mobility' on my top joint ! Numbness has gone too ! Forgot to say I changed my grip on the 'mouse'!

Old 06-18-2019, 06:23 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,656 Likes on 6,424 Posts

If you tell us the particulars about the bike you ride, along with seat, bars and lack of backrest we can be more helpful.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:01 PM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 578 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz

I do too but for me its my right thumb, left is ok. After about 45 minutes it gets a little numb and a bit difficult to hit the turn signal. Low Rider, stock seat, 10" mini apes. I put those on in hopes that they'd help but didn't. They put my arms just below shoulder height. The stock Low Rider bars have your wrist angle all jacked up so that's why I switched.

Last edited by ole_phart; 06-18-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:13 PM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,667 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
I have carpal and cubital tunnel syndrome. My left hand/wrist quickly falls asleep. I’ve swapped bars and grips, not really helping much. I’ve put off surgery but it’s looking more likely that it’s gonna be my only relief
My carpal tunnel was getting pretty bad a few years ago. I went between numbness and spikes of pain. You need to mobilize your wrists for awhile with a brace, wrap your wrists in ice packs, and take anti inflamitory medication. You bring down inflammation the nerves heal. After you get it under control you do hand excercises and reposition how you work with your hands.

I've ridden ape hangers and get fatigued. I like to have my hands below my heart so my bikes have pullback riser bars. Seems better for circulation.

I avoided surgery and have had no problems for about 3 years. I ride a fair amount and off road on an ATV. I'm pushing 50 and feel good outside of some stiffness in the hands.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The following 2 users liked this post by Dehammer:
CaffeineBuzz (06-19-2019), purpledeuce (06-18-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:23 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,150 Likes on 5,594 Posts

There's a bunch of things that can cause numbness and pain in your hands. To correct it first try loosening your grip on the bars. Don't wrap your thumb around the grip, just let it hang there and drape your fingers over the grip and rest them on the clutch lever.
If that doesn't help try some new grips, I have found that the larger, thicker diameter ones are better for me. One other thing is a set of good padded gloves. They will absorb a lot of vibration and prevent pain and numbness.

Quick Reply: Left hand thumb pain