General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about ESP and other shady stuff :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 01:19 PM
NewHarleyFan
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about ESP and other shady stuff :)

Hello All,

i have a question. This is going to be long so I apologize in advance. I bought a bike last year(used but bought the ESP). Within a couple of weeks it started making a weird engine noise. DH and I are both mechanically inclined but new to the Harley world so we weren’t entirely sure. It sounded like a rod knock and when he stopped the spark plug was almost all the way out. Checked the oil and it was black. Took it back to where we bought it, they changed the fluids and swore nothing was wrong. The next week we took it to the Harley dealership(where we bought it was an authorized dealer, not an actual Harley place). Over the next couple of months they replaced the oil pump, cam plate, flywheels or lifters(I’d have to look to be sure), several other things and each time they told us “engine noise to be expected”. We knew that was wrong. They repeatedly told us we could keep riding it and there was nothing wrong so we did what they said. Eventually took it to another dealership and within five minutes told us the engine needed to be replaced. There was a lower end rod knock. Shocker right?! Not lol a few days later they called after the bike was torn apart and sure enough, the whole engine needed to be replaced. There was so much scarring and metal shavings inside that they couldn’t tell what failed first. They got most of it covered through the ESP and the difference was less than $2k(the bike has aftermarket performance parts on it and we bought a new tire since it was there). The original dealership that looked at it repeatedly told myself, DH and the other dealership that they would take responsibility for the repairs. Day comes for payment and they backed out stating they weren’t responsible. I sent a letter asking if they would at least split the costs with me(not the whole amount due) and we could both chalk it up to a lesson learned. I was informed today that said dealership(not in so many words but it was the gist) called the one who actually fixed my bike and threatened to report them to the ESP if I proceeded with this any further(going to court, verbal contracts being legally binding and all). The original dealership explained to me that they wouldn’t pay for repairs bc there still would have been a difference owed no matter who did the work bc of the aftermarket parts. I countered with, had they done what I asked them to fix in the first place it would have never amounted to that amount of work needing to be done. So my question is this, can the dealership that fixed my bike get in trouble for how they did it? Was it unethical or something?

Old 06-20-2019, 03:00 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Be glad you bought the ESP, you got your money worth. Why would you expect any auto or bike dealership to pay for work that isn’t covered? If you felt the bike had a problem then you should have had the issue addressed sooner by any shop that excepted your warranty.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:03 PM
on3wego
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

It doesn't sound unethical to me. But I've read a ton of horror stories about ESP.

I personally got the ESP on my bike (although its expired now) and it saved me a ton of money. My dealership said it basically comes down to how the issues are presented. They are good at making a case for required repairs, so they rarely get denied.

What kind of aftermarket parts are you talking about? Those will never be covered. Are they not parts that can be re-used? Would need a little more info to know if you're being hung out to dry, but I doubt it.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:38 PM
NewHarleyFan
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by scottwilliamson
Be glad you bought the ESP, you got your money worth. Why would you expect any auto or bike dealership to pay for work that isn’t covered? If you felt the bike had a problem then you should have had the issue addressed sooner by any shop that excepted your warranty.
I don’t expect anyone to pay for work not covered. But when I repeatedly brought my bike to them asking/begging for them to fix it and each time they basically told me there wasn’t anything there when I knew there was an issue? I feel like that responsibility falls directly on their shoulders. It would be different if I hadn’t been diligent in regards to the repairs but I wasn’t. I didn’t ask them to pay for it either, they offered and then backed out when they were called by the other dealership for payment.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:39 PM
packmen21
Banned
Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by on3wego
It doesn't sound unethical to me. But I've read a ton of horror stories about ESP.

I personally got the ESP on my bike (although its expired now) and it saved me a ton of money. My dealership said it basically comes down to how the issues are presented. They are good at making a case for required repairs, so they rarely get denied.

What kind of aftermarket parts are you talking about? Those will never be covered. Are they not parts that can be re-used? Would need a little more info to know if you're being hung out to dry, but I doubt it.
+1

Old 06-20-2019, 03:47 PM
NewHarleyFan
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by on3wego

Mince the dealership backed out on the payment they offered I asked them why. I was told, “the only thing we did wrong was not trying hard enough to convince the warranty company that more in depth issues were needed”. Even after I told them to tear the bike apart and I would pay for it should there actually NOT be anything wrong. They didn’t do that either. Which is why I brought it to another dealership to get another opinion. It was a tire shredder kit is what I believe the difference was for.

My my question was more gearing towards this: the original dealership offered to pay the difference because they felt responsible for it not being fixed when I brought it to them. Once time came for payment they backed out on paying saying they were NOT responsible. I asked them very politely if they would split the difference with me since they were accepting responsibility earlier. At that point is when they started threatening to report the other dealership to the warranty company.

Im not entirely certain what reasoning they could have for reporting this dealership? That is what I was trying to figure out, if there was some unethical way they “duped” the warranty people to get my bike fixed? Am I making sense or just babbling lol

Old 06-20-2019, 03:47 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,205 Likes on 11,117 Posts

Put the $2500 you would spend on a ESP into a savings account. Add $100 to it each month. Self-insure your own repairs.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:55 PM
NewHarleyFan
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by upflying
Put the $2500 you would spend on a ESP into a savings account. Add $100 to it each month. Self-insure your own repairs.
Thats a great idea! Honestly it’s not even about the money. I don’t have things that I can’t afford. It was more so me wanting the dealership to take responsibility for not fixing the bike all the times I brought it up there, after they AGREED they were responsible they backed out on payment, and then started threatening another dealership because I sent them a letter asking them to split the difference with me.

I wasnt trying to be to be a jerk, get free work or cause problems. They agreed to something and then backed out and I don’t agree with it. Nor with how they went after another dealership because I asked them a question. It just doesn’t seem right to me🤷🏼*♀️

Old 06-20-2019, 04:02 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by NewHarleyFan
Hello All,

i have a question. This is going to be long so I apologize in advance. I bought a bike last year(used but bought the ESP). Within a couple of weeks it started making a weird engine noise. DH and I are both mechanically inclined but new to the Harley world so we weren’t entirely sure. It sounded like a rod knock and when he stopped the spark plug was almost all the way out. Checked the oil and it was black. Took it back to where we bought it, they changed the fluids and swore nothing was wrong. The next week we took it to the Harley dealership(where we bought it was an authorized dealer, not an actual Harley place). Over the next couple of months they replaced the oil pump, cam plate, flywheels or lifters(I’d have to look to be sure), several other things and each time they told us “engine noise to be expected”. We knew that was wrong. They repeatedly told us we could keep riding it and there was nothing wrong so we did what they said. Eventually took it to another dealership and within five minutes told us the engine needed to be replaced. There was a lower end rod knock. Shocker right?! Not lol a few days later they called after the bike was torn apart and sure enough, the whole engine needed to be replaced. There was so much scarring and metal shavings inside that they couldn’t tell what failed first. They got most of it covered through the ESP and the difference was less than $2k(the bike has aftermarket performance parts on it and we bought a new tire since it was there). The original dealership that looked at it repeatedly told myself, DH and the other dealership that they would take responsibility for the repairs. Day comes for payment and they backed out stating they weren’t responsible. I sent a letter asking if they would at least split the costs with me(not the whole amount due) and we could both chalk it up to a lesson learned. I was informed today that said dealership(not in so many words but it was the gist) called the one who actually fixed my bike and threatened to report them to the ESP if I proceeded with this any further(going to court, verbal contracts being legally binding and all). The original dealership explained to me that they wouldn’t pay for repairs bc there still would have been a difference owed no matter who did the work bc of the aftermarket parts. I countered with, had they done what I asked them to fix in the first place it would have never amounted to that amount of work needing to be done. So my question is this, can the dealership that fixed my bike get in trouble for how they did it? Was it unethical or something?
First, breaking that up into shorter paragraphs would be nice.

What does "an authorized dealer, not an actual Harley place" mean?

There are any number of companies out there selling extended service plans. Which one is your contract with?

Trying to make sense of this, you've got business #1 (the "authorized dealer, not an actual Harley place"), Authorized Harley Dealer #1 (the one that did the initial batch of engine repairs) and Dealer #2 (the one that says the engine needs replaced).

After the Dealer #1 work was finished, the bike was still not running right, so you went to Dealer #2, correct? Curious why you didn't go back to Dealer #1. Really curious that you say Dealer #1 verbally committed to paying for Dealer #2's work. That goes against every bit of experience I've ever had. I would have expected Dealer #1 to insist you bring it back to them.

Where does your ESP company factor into all this? Did they pay Dealer #1 for the initial work? Are they paying Dealer #2 for the additional work?

So, "can the dealership that fixed my bike get in trouble?" Trouble with who? The ESP company? Maybe. As near as I can tell, your (used) bike was defective when you bought it, and you took it to Dealer #1 to fix. They failed. I'm surprised that the ESP people didn't insist that you go back to Dealer #1 and demand that they fix it over until they get it right.

At this point, who cares if Dealer #1 gets in trouble with the ESP people? Let them.

The following 2 users liked this post by 0maha:
AussieDog (06-21-2019), mazz (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 04:37 PM
NewHarleyFan
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 0maha
First, breaking that up into shorter paragraphs would be nice.

What does "an authorized dealer, not an actual Harley place" mean?

There are any number of companies out there selling extended service plans. Which one is your contract with?

Trying to make sense of this, you've got business #1 (the "authorized dealer, not an actual Harley place"), Authorized Harley Dealer #1 (the one that did the initial batch of engine repairs) and Dealer #2 (the one that says the engine needs replaced).

After the Dealer #1 work was finished, the bike was still not running right, so you went to Dealer #2, correct? Curious why you didn't go back to Dealer #1. Really curious that you say Dealer #1 verbally committed to paying for Dealer #2's work. That goes against every bit of experience I've ever had. I would have expected Dealer #1 to insist you bring it back to them.

Where does your ESP company factor into all this? Did they pay Dealer #1 for the initial work? Are they paying Dealer #2 for the additional work?

So, "can the dealership that fixed my bike get in trouble?" Trouble with who? The ESP company? Maybe. As near as I can tell, your (used) bike was defective when you bought it, and you took it to Dealer #1 to fix. They failed. I'm surprised that the ESP people didn't insist that you go back to Dealer #1 and demand that they fix it over until they get it right.

At this point, who cares if Dealer #1 gets in trouble with the ESP people? Let them.
Sorry for the confusion. You’re correct, I should’ve broken it up. Let me see if I can clarify.

Authorized Harley Dealership - the guy who owns this dealership used to own Dealer #1. Sold it and opened a new shop selling ATVs and Harley motorcycles.

ESP - it was bought through Harley Davidson(which is who I financed the bike through). I wasn’t aware there were other companies.

Dealer #1 worked on the bike several times. After them telling me every single time that “engine noise is to be expected” I brought it to Dealer #2 for another opinion on the noise. I couldn’t fathom returning there again for the same issue that was not fixed the previous 4 times

i called Dealer #1 because the owner of Dealer #1 was so adamant about helping us out and getting our bike fixed(the several times it was there and me still being unsatisfied with the noise). I was told I could call him any time as he wanted to stay in the loop.

So after Dealer #2 finds out exactly what is wrong I just called to chat with Dealer #1 about it. At that point I never asked for payment or anything like that. I was just keeping him in the loop like asked.

Dealer #1 then called Dealer #2 to see what was going on and then he OFFERED to pay for the difference remaining on the repairs as they felt their company was at least partially responsible.

ESP paid both Dealer #1 & 2 for the respective work they each did. Side note: I don’t have any interactions with ESP, I only dealt with the dealerships so I have no clue how they work or even what was said.

Once the bike was fixed by dealer #2 and payment was requested Dealer #1 then backed out on the payment they agreed to stating they were not responsible.

I sent a letter to Dealer #1 asking if they would at least split the payment with me instead of the whole thing(they wouldn’t return phone calls or messages at that point).

after they received the letter, Dealer #1 calls Dealer #2 and tells them if I request money from them again and/or take them to small claims court then at that time Dealer #1 will report Dealer #2 to the ESP company.

my question is...what could Dealer #2 have possibly done that would warrant them being reported to the ESP? Why is that a serious threat to them? Enough so that I was offered a couple hundred bucks in gift cards to just let it go?

thank you for your response and sorry for the confusion!

Quick Reply: Questions about ESP and other shady stuff :)