General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider bad weather please advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 07:56 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,231 Likes on 5,992 Posts

I agree with most everyone here..... I would first restrain myself and get more riding time in. I don't mean years, but get some miles under your belt until you get pretty comfortable and pretty well know your bike. I would not go out looking for rain....at least not for a bit. Get some seat time in. Now with that said, everyone here has given you good advice. I have a packable HD rain suit (paid like $110-120 many years ago) that I always carried. You will get caught up in rain. Better to be prepared. And follow the advice given above. Lots of good info.

Now if I can add a bit more.... as a new rider, get the service manual and the parts manual. Even if you don't do your own service work, these are handy for lots of information. I would also get a 3-ring binder and record every service, maintenance, accessory done to your ride. This will give you great reference of what, when, and why you did things over time. I have sections set up for oil changes, tire replacements, and service/repair work. It's your record, put in what you like. Even write yourself a story about some things!! Also, know how much fuel you have, how much your tank holds, how far you can go on a tank. I have an app on my phone called Simply Auto that I record each fuel stop, mileage, etc. I use my odometer as my fuel gage. I never trust the fuel gage...it's reference only to me. I know around town I get 200 miles per tank and on trips it can go up to 240-250 miles per tank. I learned this the hard way on my Sportster...it has no fuel gage, no indicator of how much is in the tank. Keep records. You don't always have to record at fill up, but I jot the mileage on the receipt and get it later when I stop or get home.
Otherwise, ride and enjoy. Just remember that there are many ******** out there trying to get us!!!

Old 06-21-2019, 04:44 AM
holmsea
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dehammer
Stay in the sun. Listen to your instincts before strangers on the internet.
Must be weird living in a perfect world that when you go riding there is never a chance of rain ! The guy asked a great question about riding in adverse conditions and received excellent information from people here as far as things to look out for , being prepared and being safe to ride another day ! --- except for one --

Old 06-21-2019, 06:47 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,353 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Learn the proper use of clutch slippage. Motorman Jerry's series has a good section on this along with braking advice.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:48 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

My first bit of advice is that riding in bad weather is mainly psychological. You will at first be scared the bike will slip out from under you, but your tyres will almost certainly be far more capable in the wet than you think they are - assuming of course they are in good condition. It just takes a few miles to get used to it.

In general - be smooth. Slow and smooth is better than reckless and dead.

Smooth with your acceleration and braking. Keep your eyes up and focus as far ahead as you can. You don't want surprises in bad weather. Smooth in curves.

Avoid "street furniture" - white lines, metal fixtures etc. They will be slippy. But even if a wheel slips a little going over one of these, don't worry as it will grip the asphalt once you pass the obstacle. It might just feel a little scary.

Wear good rain gear. It's much easier to be happy in bad weather if you are dry and warm. I was riding hairpins to the top of the Spanish Picos mountains last week in the rain. The rain turned to snow. I stayed 100% dry and mostly warm until it snowed, at which point only my fingers got cold. It was June so I hadn't packed the heated gloves.

Watch the weather forecasts carefully. If the weather is going to be insanely bad, try not to ride in it unless you absolutely have to.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:58 AM
Sorce
Tourer
Received 95 Likes on 65 Posts

I would sure as hell seek rain to ride in.

Your street, your practice.
Your terms. You'll be more prepared.

Eventually it'll start when Earth wants....
Maybe you'll be doing 75 on a busy *** curvy highway with no exits or overpasses...
Not your terms...then what?

Once you find someone NOT tailgating you, aware of you, and cautious of you, stay in front of them.

Sorce

The following users liked this post:
SWFLGuy (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 09:57 AM
cruisn
Tourer
Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

It's not worth it. While riding in the rain, I dropped my previous bike on a turn. It just slipped from under me due to an oil patch. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if that happened to my Harley. So now if there's even a 30% chance of rain, I'll drive the car.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:26 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

lots of good advice here but seeking rain is not one of them. you are new to riding, you don't even know how to ride in good weather yet let alone bad.
my advice to any new riders is to live long enough to acquire and hone your skills. that means ride as much as possible under favorable conditions and always remember to stay humble in the saddle. your bike is much more capable then you are. Get to know your limitations, strengths, fears, etc as well as that of your bike. once you feel comfortable in good weather, then practice in wet conditions doing much the same thing, because it is quite different. I personally don't ride in hard rain. it's no fun and dangerous as hell. nothing is that important. even drizzle and wet roads will test your abilities if your not careful. best of luck

Old 06-21-2019, 11:10 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I can't believe so many of you say don't ride in the rain. If we avoided rain in the UK we'd get almost no riding. It's like everything else, practice makes you better.
And if you're running Scorcher tyres, change them for something that actually works in the wet.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:18 AM
cruisn
Tourer
Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner
I can't believe so many of you say don't ride in the rain. If we avoided rain in the UK we'd get almost no riding. It's like everything else, practice makes you better.
And if you're running Scorcher tyres, change them for something that actually works in the wet.
I'm saying that because it rains 4-5 times a month here. So personally I can be okay with passing on riding those 4-5 days.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:32 AM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,667 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Originally Posted by holmsea
Must be weird living in a perfect world that when you go riding there is never a chance of rain ! The guy asked a great question about riding in adverse conditions and received excellent information from people here as far as things to look out for , being prepared and being safe to ride another day ! --- except for one --
It is not weird, it is Arizona, and we are all to familiar with rude Canadians.

I make the recommendation to be patient and to put in the riding time in during ideal conditions, when the road is merciful, until he feels comfortable, trusting his instincts, enough to then follow the well written advice of others to ride in less than ideal conditions.

Last edited by Dehammer; 06-21-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Quick Reply: New rider bad weather please advise