General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash Guards

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 07:08 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by harley6768
Not if your learning how to ride proficiently especially slow speed skills..most guys I'm seeing say they can ride and have ridden for 20 years but can't ride proficiently from what I am seeing either. The guys who I have seen ride proficiently have dropped their bikes many times learning to really ride...I can't afford to not ride proficiently, as I value my life, and keep replacing engines guards at over $220 plus time and effort...I already dropped my bike twice practicing slow speeds....I feel it was a good investment plus research the internet and see how many people worry about dropping their bike learning slow speed skills...Heck take a trip to your local Harley on Saturday morning and see how many people say they can ride but duckwalk their bike or use 2 feet to start and stop and make slow speed turns LOL...Not gonna be me!!! I guess it's just a great idea for those who really wanna ride proficiently!!

Cheers
I just bought the $29 snap on plastic ones for my training exercises. They work good...I haven't dropped the Limited yet!

https://www.ridelikeapro.com/store/a...ective-covers/

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:49 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,750 Likes on 6,195 Posts

OP, before you judge my riding skill based on my opinion that your guard guards are dumb, take a look at ONE of my bikes.
This one has over 264,000 miles on it, and as you can see, is scratch-free (except for maybe the edges of the boards). I can slow turn it in a single lane, my other bike has over 100,000 miles on it and is in the same shape. But you go ahead and enjoy your dumb guard guards.
Name:  JwCQbv3.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  70.9 KB

The following users liked this post:
QNman (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:52 AM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

Ah, I remember back in the early 70's my base commander wanted all motorcycles to have crash guards and seat belts. He also gave me a ticket for sounding fast...

Old 06-25-2019, 08:16 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,090 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD 96
That is one of the most preposterous things I have ever seen. Like RHPAW said .You can replace the guard for less than that. I am still running the same engine guard as when I hit that deer. Well deserved battle scars. On the other hand. If I had the engine guard guards all I would have to is replace the engine guard guard for the same price as the engine guard. Makes sense.

Leave it on, that adds character to the bike...just sayin'.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:32 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by harley6768
LOL, Yup looking at the bike, like I said I consider the source!

Lets break your statement down!
IF and When well my good man, if you learn to ride well, guess what?
Your gonna lay the bike down, Cant learn the skills of 14 to 18 foot turns without doing it.
I'LL replace them! So you will continue to buy $220 Engine Guards and spend the time and money to take your lower ferrings off to do it.
Waste of Time and Money
They don't do anything for your safety!
Yep spoken like someone who doesn't ride well or someone that hasn't practiced or had any motor education
What do you think they do?
They allow you to learn to ride with the slow speed skills and control everyone talks about having on the internet without damaging your bike..

Im already seeing the signs. Like I said those who can "Ride" those who can't "criticize"!

When ya post some pictures or videos for me to watch on that bike of you riding like the guys on that site, YA just might get my Attention!

LMAO
p.S don't get butt hurt cause ya sound like ya are my friend, Don't hate, Appreciate and learn to ride well!!
SMDH.

Whatever you say, chief. I've got nothing to prove to you or anyone else. I can (literally) ride circles around most, even without the additional farkles to guard my guards.

But hey - you do you, my friend. And just keep on keeping on telling yourself what a superior rider you are. Heck, you might even start to believe it.

The thread was about adding chrome guards to guard you guards. I added my opinion. You got butthurt and jumped on your high-horse. Enjoy the view.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:34 AM
QNman
Supporter

Originally Posted by sechracer
Ahhh the memories of XRX!
But but but... he is a superior rider because he guards his guards! The guard guards make him fearless!

Yes indeed, shades of XRX here for sure.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:35 AM
QNman
Supporter

Originally Posted by OLD 96
That is one of the most preposterous things I have ever seen. Like RHPAW said .You can replace the guard for less than that. I am still running the same engine guard as when I hit that deer. Well deserved battle scars. On the other hand. If I had the engine guard guards all I would have to is replace the engine guard guard for the same price as the engine guard. Makes sense.
You get it. Thank you.