General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PA roads

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 12:25 PM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

If you're going to the Flight 93 Memorial, you could hop on 30 and head east instead. Take 30 straight to York and visit the HD factory, the tour is really interesting. There is no shortage of excellent riding in PA, it really depends what all you're interested in. If you want a real treat, head north and visit the PA Grand Canyon.

The following users liked this post:
army_eod (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:07 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,381 Likes on 2,486 Posts

Were it me, as a tour guide, I would do Point State Park and The Mt Washington Incline on a weekday evening, (when the Pirates are on an away game). Visiting the museums and other attractions could make for a great day, ending at the park, then dinner. Plan your trip well. Study maps until you know them. Make certain you know what exits you want and look for them well in advance. Check the local AAA for detours and road closings that might change your routes.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:19 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by Back-n-Black
GPS will be worthless in Pittsburgh...IMHO.
Not at all true and I wonder why you say that? I have traveled through the area in cage and bikes many times with infotainment, bike GPS, cage GPS and never experienced a problem.

Forgot smartphone apps such as waze. Never a problem.

Last edited by nobodyknowsme; 06-25-2019 at 07:21 PM.
JekyllnHyde (07-04-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 06:26 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,186 Likes on 5,613 Posts

I cant believe nobody mentioned Primante Brothers yet. You got to eat there if you're in Pittsburgh, I think it may be a law or something.
As mentioned, watch out for potholes, theyre enormous in Pa. The road crews also have a habit of putting big steel plates on the road without putting up warning signs, I caught one yesterday and dame near bent a rim.
The Pa Grand Canyon is pretty nice but fall is really the best time to go there. The HD factory tour is cool too.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:04 PM
Tjroadie
Cruiser
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

From the Burg! Would never recommend riding near it!!!!! Stay in central pa. Or York Lancaster area for a enjoyable experience.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:39 AM
mbkjad
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
I cant believe nobody mentioned Primante Brothers yet. You got to eat there if you're in Pittsburgh, I think it may be a law or something.
As mentioned, watch out for potholes, theyre enormous in Pa. The road crews also have a habit of putting big steel plates on the road without putting up warning signs, I caught one yesterday and dame near bent a rim.
The Pa Grand Canyon is pretty nice but fall is really the best time to go there. The HD factory tour is cool too.
Primanti Brothers are everyehere now. Forget Pittsburgh and take 30 Gettyburg and then York.

pahogrider (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 07:38 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,186 Likes on 5,613 Posts

Yeah Ive been to 2 of the new Primanti Bros even the one in York that youre talking about. Nothing like the original. Not even close

Cygnusx51 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 10:28 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

My nephew lives in Pittsburgh and I've ridden there many times. Great city, lots to do and see. For a big city drivers seem to be very courteous. One thing to look out for are some stop signs that allow the traffic from the right to to continue without stopping. So in other words. If you're approaching one of these intersections, a car approaching from the road to your right does not have to stop.....even if you get to the interaction before him. Look out for something like this (see photo below). Also, ride up Mt Washington to Grandview Ave for some great scenic photos of the city.....there are some good restaurants up there too.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 07-04-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:49 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by mbkjad
Primanti Brothers are everyehere now. Forget Pittsburgh and take 30 Gettyburg and then York.
Agree. The original is the best by far. I guess it's the area or experience of the place itself.

Originally Posted by Tjroadie
From the Burg! Would never recommend riding near it!!!!! Stay in central pa. Or York Lancaster area for a enjoyable experience.
Your nuts! Pittsburgh has lots of things to do and see. Born and raised here. There has been allot of things posted here that are great finds. Better than the areas you posted.

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Not at all true and I wonder why you say that? I have traveled through the area in cage and bikes many times with infotainment, bike GPS, cage GPS and never experienced a problem.

Forgot smartphone apps such as waze. Never a problem.
I use Google and it's fine. People get all in an uproar and can't understand why the GPS is taking them the opposite way to their destination. Have to trust the GPS.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:40 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

I live just west of the Burgh & worked for the Electric utility there for many years - let me just say the post that says you can see where you want to go but have to go backwards before you get there is spot on!!!! getting around down there is a PITA route 28 will never be done, they'll close a bridge with a minutes notice, west end is a nightmare & if you miss the exit for Monroeville...……… it will only take a 1/2 hour to redirect yourself, took me a full year working there to get around pretty easy - but if one road is shut down - its a traffic nightmare.

Avoid Greentree hill in the morning, noon & quitting time. a side from constant road work, orange barrels, flaggers, tar & chipped roads & pot holes that have been hot patched with heaping amounts of black top there are a lot of wonderful sights the city has.

Honestly, hit the city up Tuesday or Wednesday (mid week) if you are dead set on a visit, if it were me Id go to Ohiopyle, 93 memorial, laurel highlands, head North to Tionesta / Tidioute & check out cooks forest. I avoid most cities when riding. Have fun & enjoy - oh, unless you are an absolute drinking maniac stay away from southside on Friday or Saturday night.

Ride safe

rjheff (07-05-2019)

Quick Reply: PA roads