General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 08:27 PM
Dpostle79
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster rims

I recently bought a set of rims and tires of a guy who said they would fit my 2000 Sportster 1200 custom. When I received the bearings and attempted to install them they were to big for the hole. I took them to the Harley shop and he said they were the older rims the would only work for 99 and under. He did say they could be customized of course to fit.
My question...what would it take to make these rims fit?

Old 06-25-2019, 08:16 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Yea, they did an axle change sometime around those years, from 3/4" up to 1" axle, and they went to a sealed bearing, and the OD of the bearing did grow as well.

If you've got the 3/4" bearing wheels you'll have to convert everything down to fit the 3/4" axle, including a set of custom machined bushings so the 3/4" axle will fit in your 1" axle fork sliders. Or, buy the 3/4" sliders from an older Sporty. Fortunately they're interchangeable if you know how to take forks apart.

IMO, you kinda got screwed there. Also, who powdercoats the WHOLE rim? I mean, the spokes, spoke nipples, and everything got a coating! Surprised the valve stem isn't red. How are you going to adjust any of them spokes if you have to?

Last edited by Mattbastard; 06-25-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:28 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,735 Likes on 3,504 Posts

Originally Posted by Dpostle79
I recently bought a set of rims and tires of a guy who said they would fit my 2000 Sportster 1200 custom. When I received the bearings and attempted to install them they were to big for the hole. I took them to the Harley shop and he said they were the older rims the would only work for 99 and under. He did say they could be customized of course to fit.
My question...what would it take to make these rims fit?
Cash, lots of cash, and then only maybe. Same thing happened to me, found a set locally except it was a forum member who said they would fit, so I bought them. Ended up buying new bearings, new axles, paid to have the tires mounted and balanced before I realized they were a no go, paid to have the tires put back on the original rims.... learned my lesson. Everybody's an expert on the Internet.

Last edited by roussfam; 06-25-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:15 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,427 Likes on 4,129 Posts

Take them back to the guy that sold them and get your money back.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:42 PM
Dpostle79
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Money money money is all I needed to hear tha ka guys

Old 06-25-2019, 03:24 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

By the way, those are called “wheels”. The “rim” is the round part at the edge that holds the tire.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:34 PM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain
Received 285 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
Yea, they did an axle change sometime around those years, from 3/4" up to 1" axle, and they went to a sealed bearing, and the OD of the bearing did grow as well.

If you've got the 3/4" bearing wheels you'll have to convert everything down to fit the 3/4" axle, including a set of custom machined bushings so the 3/4" axle will fit in your 1" axle fork sliders. Or, buy the 3/4" sliders from an older Sporty. Fortunately they're interchangeable if you know how to take forks apart.

IMO, you kinda got screwed there. Also, who powdercoats the WHOLE rim? I mean, the spokes, spoke nipples, and everything got a coating! Surprised the valve stem isn't red. How are you going to adjust any of them spokes if you have to?
My thoughts exactly... You'll be in for a world of hurt if you need to "true" your wheels. Any adjustment and your gonna have cracked and flaking off powder. Will most likely crack at the spoke stems anyway, even without adjustment. Not what you would want to hear after making a purchase, hopefully you have the option to get your money back.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:08 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny_bravo00
My thoughts exactly... You'll be in for a world of hurt if you need to "true" your wheels. Any adjustment and your gonna have cracked and flaking off powder. Will most likely crack at the spoke stems anyway, even without adjustment. Not what you would want to hear after making a purchase, hopefully you have the option to get your money back.
As my ol' man would say, "Take em' back to the seller and shove em' square up his ***!"

Old 06-26-2019, 08:24 AM
GBHH
Road Master
Received 479 Likes on 269 Posts

Looks like a mess, besides cracking off, if youre lucky, those spoke nipples may not be able to be tightened at all.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:38 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,589 Likes on 9,809 Posts

On a positive note, they sure look pretty....

Quick Reply: Sportster rims