General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post Service Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 09:41 PM
BigBen662
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post Service Oil leak

Long story long - '16 Dyna FLD riding home on my way from the dealer 15k service. Heard an odd noise (I wear a full face and ear plugs so I really couldn't tell what it was) so I pull the bike over. Massive oil leak. They picked the bike up and are probably going to look it over in the morning. I suspect at some point that they are going to try and blame my Jagg oil cooler in some way. I do have the extended warranty.

My question - What questions do I need to ask? Is there any for sure what to tell that my tapers are okay other than taking the bike apart? Would I hear an apparent noise? Inner engine workings are very much over my head. I appreciate any advice.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:59 PM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,963 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Let us know how those tapers turn out. Recall maybe?

Old 06-27-2019, 07:14 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

How do you know your after market oil cooler didn't cause the leak? I'd expect the service people would have to evaluate that possibility.
Time will tell if your service plan will foot the bill. Suppose it depends on what caused the leak.
Does your plan cover damage done by aftermarket add on stuff? I don't buy these contracts so I don't know how they are worded.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:35 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 781 Posts

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that they'll take the easy way out and blame your aftermarket oil cooler since the issue is oil related, whether or not it's the actual cause.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:53 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,817 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Did you examine the bike? Maybe put a rock through something?

Old 06-27-2019, 08:57 AM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,253 Likes on 8,517 Posts

Did you inspect drain plug and filter for leak?
Helps to have an idea what might be wrong before taking it in. Might be minor damage if it didn’t get overheated.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:07 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,739 Likes on 6,190 Posts

Most significant oil leaks that I've seen on a bike that new are usually a loose hose on the oil cooler.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:28 AM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,423 Likes on 1,687 Posts

The terrible tapers huh? Uh... WTH?

Old 06-27-2019, 10:06 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,121 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBen662
Long story long - '16 Dyna FLD riding home on my way from the dealer 15k service. Heard an odd noise (I wear a full face and ear plugs so I really couldn't tell what it was) so I pull the bike over. Massive oil leak. They picked the bike up and are probably going to look it over in the morning. I suspect at some point that they are going to try and blame my Jagg oil cooler in some way. I do have the extended warranty.

My question - What questions do I need to ask? Is there any for sure what to tell that my tapers are okay other than taking the bike apart? Would I hear an apparent noise? Inner engine workings are very much over my head. I appreciate any advice.

So where was the Oil Leak coming from? Did they not put in the drain plug tight enough? Or did the Oil Filter loosen up?

When something goes wrong on my bike the first thing I check was the last thing I did to it. In the case of an oil change that would be drain plugs and oil filters.

For example, my daughters 1997 883 Sportster developed an oil leak after the last oil change we did. The Sportster doesn't have a drain plug per se, it's a hose clamped off to a stud on the frame. Ended up the other end of the hose the factory crimp connector worked loose, 20 years old and 54,000 miles that's OK, so I cut off the clamp and installed a worm clamp in it's place, snugged it down and no more leak.

Anyhow if it is something the dealer did to cause the problem they are responsible for fixing it.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:17 PM
HiDrag
Road Captain
Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBen662
Ask yourself why you didn't work on finding the source of the leak before you took it to the dealer!

Then ask a lady friend if you can borrow some lubricant - because your dealer is going to screw you.

The following 2 users liked this post by HiDrag:
Qdog002 (06-28-2019), VAFish (06-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Post Service Oil leak