General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh Deer!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 11:29 AM
nicmartim
Cruiser

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Unhappy Oh Deer!

Well, last Wednesday it happened. I was travelling home on the highway and a deer took me out, broad daylight, never saw it coming. Lost consciousness for a long while, woke in the trauma room, guessing I was out for over an hour. No major injuries other than this concussion, I realize how lucky a SOB I am for that. I was apparently able to keep the bike upright long enough to ge to the shoulder where I left the road and landed in the mud. I have no recollection of the events, just what the state trooper told me and what I can judge based on the skid marks on the highway. I had to have been doing 70 mph (the speed limit) when it hit me as this open stretch of highway is straight and comfortable. Ridden it every day for the last 6 seasons. Last thing I remember was 1/2 mile before the impact.

The bike is toast, looks like it was on both sides and its top, such a shame. This bike was a something to me, my first Harley. Built by the local dealer here, made 97hp, 120 ft/lbs and was smooth. I know bikes come and go, but seeing it sitting in the shed at the towing company was rough. Anyone have ever have any experience dealing with Progressive on a total loss situation? I trying to figure out what I am in for. I gave them a list of all the accessories w/ receipts to back up most of it as I had the accessory coverage on it (thankfully). They (Progressive) are going to look at it on Monday to determine whether or not it is totaled (probably is) and determine payout.

I'll try to post pics of the bikes carcass when I get home this evening.

The following 3 users liked this post by nicmartim:
almostakeeper (06-28-2019), MajorKG (06-28-2019), soldierbot (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 11:34 AM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 90,110 Likes on 23,228 Posts

I am sorry for the loss of your bike...sounds like it is totaled. I am thrilled you are here posting and your injuries were not too severe.

Good luck dealing with the issuance companies.

The following users liked this post:
5wheels (07-03-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 11:34 AM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

I am glad that you made it though, with just a little damage to your person. Bikes can be replaced, even bikes that you loved. Consider yourself very, very lucky!

Luckily, I haven't had to deal with Progressive on a bike claim - I haven't had a wreck (hopefully never). Good luck with it and let us know how it goes. I use Progressive too and want to know how they are to deal with during a claim.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:39 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,814 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Welcome to the deer slayer club. Put a leaping pewter pin on your next set of saddlebags. Like WWII bomber nose art. (That's what I did)

Glad your alive.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:41 AM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,460 Likes on 5,663 Posts

Glad you're OK. The bike is replaceable.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:41 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,727 Likes on 6,186 Posts

Any other time, they won't show themselves until dark. Glad you're OK.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:42 AM
Broccoli2
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I have Progressive, 5 different policies. My son got rear ended a month ago in his Jeep, totaled. I had a check in my hand a week later. Super easy. Unless you had "stated value" you will not get what you think it's worth but thats true with any insurance. They looked up what others are selling the same model year for in the area and gave me the average. Good for you to have receipts. That will be real helpful

Old 06-28-2019, 11:44 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

I have processed three auto and one boat claim thru Progressive, and they were no problem to deal with. No experience with their motorcycle claims.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:51 PM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 2,505 Posts

Damn, glad you ok, did the deer hit you or the bike? either way its bad, and I have to say your a pretty tuff fella if you were able to get it off the road first.

rk classic.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:01 PM
Route66
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Oh God! That's my worst nightmare. Hope it never happens to me. Glad you're ok though.

Quick Reply: Oh Deer!