General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marietta, OH - Here we come!

Old 06-29-2019, 08:01 AM
Old Sport
Club Member

Received 1,357 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Dillbilly Bone
My wife and I ride to Marietta periodically for a fun day. The town is old, scenic, and has plenty of charm. You can park plenty of places in the downtown area and walk from there. Google Maps is your friend for finding places and restaurants. Some things we like:

There's Schafer Leather the downtown block. Not riding leathers mind you...but LOTS of leather goods. Plenty of women's stuff too.
The Hackett Hotel is a very cool old (but removated) downtown hotel. At street level it has....
The Galley which is a really good sit-down restaurant. Very popular spot to eat.
The Boathouse is reputed to be a great bbq joint and favorite of the bike crowd.
Marietta Brewing Company has plenty of food and favorite beers. Across the street is....
Austyn's, which is a fine(r) dining experience if you want some really classy food.
Lafayette Hotel sits at the confluence of the Muskingum and Ohio Rivers. A true landmark.
Tampico's is a Mexican restaurant on 2nd St and it has excellent food with a full bar to boot.
National Forest Covered Bridge Scenic Highway heads north out of town on Greene St and becomes Rt 26. A very superior ride for sure.
Sistersville, WV still has one of the last functioning ferries on the river. Your bikes will go easily, and it's like a trip back in time to cross the river.
There is great riding up the Muskingum River with lots of small dams, locks, scenic views and history. You can ride as far as Zanesville if wanted.
Pomeroy, OH is a 50 mile ride south on Rt 7. Notoriously popular stop for bikes. Cute and historic. Lunch at the Wild Horse Cafe for sure.
Athens, OH is an hour away via Rts 7 and 50. Home of Ohio University full of good things to see and do.

Good luck. PM me if you have any questions or need assistance.
Awesome - thanks for this! We’re staying at the Lafayette hotel and will likely hit much of what you’ve noted here.

Last edited by Old Sport; 06-29-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:08 AM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I was raised in in Marietta but haven't lived there for over 30 years. Immediate family still does. Great riding on ANY state route that takes you out of Marietta i.e. Route 7, 676, 50, 26, 550, 821. Pull out your map and have at it!
In town plenty of quality restaurants, a brewery, two museums (one being river boat), historic places of interest, paddle wheel boat rides up the Ohio and so on. They have a nice travel bureau office in the Kroger shopping plaza where Interstate 77 & Rt.7 intersect so grap some brochures.
Take Rt. 7 to Belpre along Ohio River then cross over into Parkersburg, WV. Look for Blennerhassett Island ferry. Historic mansion on island from early 1800's where Aaron Burr conspired to take over part of the U.S. Only 20 minutes from Marietta. Enjoy, and watch out for DEER in morning hours and at dusk. Trust me.....
Enjoy the Lafayette Hotel I worked there many eons ago in it's heyday. I recommend eating else where (hint hint). The Gun Room isn't what it used to be. Everything is in walking distance in the downtown area.

Last edited by wagsrk08; 06-29-2019 at 08:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old Sport (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 08:16 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,843 Likes on 898 Posts

And if your biker gang has any coffeecianados, we can strongly recommend Stoked Coffee at Rt 7 & Wayne St...just east of the downtown. Superb selections from hot to cold and 100% local.

Old Sport (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 08:50 AM
Old Sport
Club Member

Originally Posted by Dillbilly Bone
And if your biker gang has any coffeecianados, we can strongly recommend Stoked Coffee at Rt 7 & Wayne St...just east of the downtown. Superb selections from hot to cold and 100% local.
Just two of us with our wives in back - and yes, will will hit this! Thanks!

StoneTrekker (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 09:04 AM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

Enjoy the trip and area. Having went to OU (Ohio University) it has some nice roads in the area. But than at was 40 years ago so am sure allot has changed.

Old Sport (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 11:14 AM
09fitz
Road Captain
Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by pab3rd
Enjoy the trip and area. Having went to OU (Ohio University) it has some nice roads in the area. But than at was 40 years ago so am sure allot has changed.
Yeah. Brings back memories of some good times. Worked in Belpre at the Shell Chemical Plant and the Willow Island dirt burner out of Parkersburg about 43 years ago. Loved the area and met some
great folks.

Ride safe and enjoy your trip Old Sport.

Old Sport (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 12:30 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

If you have the time and parts are available consider a detachable backrest for the missus, trust me she'll really appreciate that.

Old Sport (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 01:29 PM
Old Sport
Club Member

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
If you have the time and parts are available consider a detachable backrest for the missus, trust me she'll really appreciate that.
Yep, yep! I have a king tour-pak w/ backrest for the trip.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:10 PM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 578 Likes on 361 Posts

Monkey butt is real.

Pack some of this.

Old Sport (06-29-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 11:46 PM
Old Sport
Club Member

I’ve noted all of these recommendations - thanks everyone!

Wife is digging the new shocks. 10k service completed today. Looking like chance of thunderstorms all week but we’re still a go with rain-gear at the ready.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Marietta, OH - Here we come!