Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Marietta, OH - Here we come! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1290393-marietta-oh-here-we-come.html)

Old Sport 06-28-2019 11:20 PM

Marietta, OH - Here we come!

My wife and I are heading-out for our first long trip on Wednesday. We're meeting another couple coming-up from North Carolina for a long, 4th of July weekend together in and around Marietta, OH.

This will be the first full-day ride for my wife and I. It's about 480 miles from northern NJ to Marietta. I'm thinking 7~8 hours on the road and I'm planning to split the ride across two 3~4 hour blocks of ride-time, with a fill-up and meal break about half-way through. Once we reach Marietta we'll have three full days of exploring in and around the area before we make the return trip on Sunday.

I completed a 13" Pro-Actions installation this afternoon. I'm planning to do a complete fluid service on Sunday (engine, trans & primary) - my mileage is just under 10K and figured better to complete before the trip than after. My final prep will be to install the ultra classic touring seat, 10" Freedom shield, king tour-pak and passenger floor-boards.

This being my first "long haul" I plan to pop-in on this thread to to leave a few thoughts and ask a few questions along the way. I'd love to hear of any advice, recommendations and/or general experience with both the Marietta area as well as with day-long travel for those that can share.

Thanks in advance - I'm looking forward to this trip, and with good fortune, to the trips that will surely follow.

tomve 06-28-2019 11:34 PM

Sounds like a good time. Enjoy your trip.

anthony_b. 06-28-2019 11:46 PM

...love Marietta, Oh., I'm about 120mi north. Been there several times. Great river town on Rte 7. There is some nice stuff to do around there with several historic hotels & restaurants. Paddle wheel excursion boat called the Valley Gem which nice to do. Also, Ohio has it's own Tail Of The Dragon which is Ohio 555 which deadends in Rte 7 west of Marietta. Some parts just as tricky or curvier in places than TotD. Just one exit south of Marietta before you get there in Williamstown, WV is S & P Harley, sits atop a hill overlooking I-77 on the right heading north, last exit in WV.

Johnnypop 06-29-2019 05:52 AM

If this is your first long ride together. It would be nice to cut that in half and make it a two day. If that’s not possible stop every 45 minutes to hour and get off and stretch. Your lady will enjoy the time off the bike. The passenger gets a lot more wear and tear than we do as a drive. It’s about enjoying the ride and whats around you. 500 mile days on a cycle is like a 1000 mile in a car.

Tarkus60 06-29-2019 05:57 AM

Some great country side in that area. Make sure you venture into West Virginia.....ride safe!

BelchFire 06-29-2019 07:04 AM

Sounds like a great trip. Wish I could join you. Stop by the Mound Cemetery and look around. Old "settlers cemetery" build around an Indian mound. Stop in and say "Hi" to my 3rd and 4th gr-grandparents buried there. Take some pics; I'd love to see them ('cause I'm much too far away to make it). :) Ride safe!

ChrisHo 06-29-2019 07:17 AM

my trips up North to visit family in Northern Ohio and then over to Western usually have me enter Ohio at Marietta and then get off interstate to go up 7 along the river all the way to Boardman. Beautiful scenery if not for a few cities which look like they rusted in place

Old Sport 06-29-2019 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by anthony_b. (Post 18364020)
...love Marietta, Oh., I'm about 120mi north. Been there several times. Great river town on Rte 7. There is some nice stuff to do around there with several historic hotels & restaurants. Paddle wheel excursion boat called the Valley Gem which nice to do. Also, Ohio has it's own Tail Of The Dragon which is Ohio 555 which deadends in Rte 7 west of Marietta. Some parts just as tricky or curvier in places than TotD. Just one exit south of Marietta before you get there in Williamstown, WV is S & P Harley, sits atop a hill overlooking I-77 on the right heading north, last exit in WV.

Thanks - my buddy has been pulling together options and the boat was on his list too. We’ve also talked about riding through Hocking Hills Park (that’s how this all got started).

StoneTrekker 06-29-2019 07:58 AM

My wife and I ride to Marietta periodically for a fun day. The town is old, scenic, and has plenty of charm. You can park plenty of places in the downtown area and walk from there. Google Maps is your friend for finding places and restaurants. Some things we like:

There's Schafer Leather the downtown block. Not riding leathers mind you...but LOTS of leather goods. Plenty of women's stuff too.
The Hackett Hotel is a very cool old (but removated) downtown hotel. At street level it has....
The Galley which is a really good sit-down restaurant. Very popular spot to eat.
The Boathouse is reputed to be a great bbq joint and favorite of the bike crowd.
Marietta Brewing Company has plenty of food and favorite beers. Across the street is....
Austyn's, which is a fine(r) dining experience if you want some really classy food.
Lafayette Hotel sits at the confluence of the Muskingum and Ohio Rivers. A true landmark.
Tampico's is a Mexican restaurant on 2nd St and it has excellent food with a full bar to boot.
National Forest Covered Bridge Scenic Highway heads north out of town on Greene St and becomes Rt 26. A very superior ride for sure.
Sistersville, WV still has one of the last functioning ferries on the river. Your bikes will go easily, and it's like a trip back in time to cross the river.
There is great riding up the Muskingum River with lots of small dams, locks, scenic views and history. You can ride as far as Zanesville if wanted.
Pomeroy, OH is a 50 mile ride south on Rt 7. Notoriously popular stop for bikes. Cute and historic. Lunch at the Wild Horse Cafe for sure.
Athens, OH is an hour away via Rts 7 and 50. Home of Ohio University full of good things to see and do.
Hocking Hills is a full-day deal (or more). Hit JimBo's Burgers and Beer if you make it as far west as South Bloomingville.

Good luck. PM me if you have any questions or need assistance.

Old Sport 06-29-2019 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Johnnypop (Post 18364174)
If this is your first long ride together. It would be nice to cut that in half and make it a two day. If that’s not possible stop every 45 minutes to hour and get off and stretch. Your lady will enjoy the time off the bike. The passenger gets a lot more wear and tear than we do as a drive. It’s about enjoying the ride and whats around you. 500 mile days on a cycle is like a 1000 mile in a car.

Thanks. On a ride through the Florida Keys earlier this year our longest day was about 350 miles between Key Largo and Tampa. We did that over the course of a day on the stock suspension and stock seat. Admittedly she rode about half of that time with a buddy of mine on his Ultra Classic. Hoping the mods I have in place now will make this ride much more enjoyable for us both.

Originally Posted by Tarkus60 (Post 18364178)
Some great country side in that area. Make sure you venture into West Virginia.....ride safe!

Thanks - planning to come over the mountains across northern MD and WV along 68 on my route in before heading a bit south to pick up 50 across WV into OH.