General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A load of trust from my wife

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 03:22 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,656 Likes on 6,424 Posts
Wink A load of trust from my wife

We were heading out today and she suggested riding Squirrels Spur. My jaw about dropped. This road, for 2 to 3 miles makes the Tail of the Dragon look like a skip across a parking lot. I knew she trusted me but to suggest that route takes things to a whole new level. Dodging rain all day prevented that route from happening but we did do Orchards Gap off of the Blue Ridge Parkway. This has some hairpin turns that keep the meek rider to a single trip and not to come back, if they survive.

The wife is an excellent passenger and I find myself reaching back to make sure she is still on the bike. Getting on and off the bike, riding at any level, I barely know she is there. She used to give me finger bites into the ribs back when I rode more aggressively and boards would drag but I have calmed down fortunately. All in all we had a great ride and somehow managed getting home completely dry. Didn't think it was possible looking at the mountain clouds we kept skirting and I said I would rather be lucky than good any day.

I hope your partner is half as good of a passenger!!!

The following 6 users liked this post by nobodyknowsme:
BuzzCap7 (07-06-2019), MajorKG (07-06-2019), mctraveler (07-06-2019), nevada72 (07-06-2019), Rod burner (07-06-2019), Vernal (07-06-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-06-2019, 03:27 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

My wife is an excellent passenger. She loves everything about riding, and gets it. A restless passenger is not fun riding at all.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:47 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I throw mine a spanking here and there for moving around but I understand her dilemma. She needs her pegs moved down but my exhaust prevents that from being possible.

I got my eye on a new pipe, just waiting for a sale and taking care of other financial things first.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:58 PM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,616 Likes on 827 Posts

OP, you're a lucky man!

Old 07-06-2019, 06:09 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

Yes sir mine is....
We crossed Mackinaw Bridge with blinding rain and very high winds. They closed the bridge while we were crossing! I could hear praying to baby Jesus though....
Also found some pucker roads in West By god Virginia...
Never a complaint!!!!!!
She is a keeper.

The following users liked this post:
MajorKG (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 06:12 PM
HiDrag
Road Captain
Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Bravo nobodyknowsme!

When people tease me about all of the parking lot practice I do, I tell them it's for my wife. She trusts me, and every trip is special because of it.

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 06:15 PM
Passing Lane
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
We were heading out today and she suggested riding Squirrels Spur. My jaw about dropped. This road, for 2 to 3 miles makes the Tail of the Dragon look like a skip across a parking lot. I knew she trusted me but to suggest that route takes things to a whole new level. Dodging rain all day prevented that route from happening but we did do Orchards Gap off of the Blue Ridge Parkway. This has some hairpin turns that keep the meek rider to a single trip and not to come back, if they survive.

The wife is an excellent passenger and I find myself reaching back to make sure she is still on the bike. Getting on and off the bike, riding at any level, I barely know she is there. She used to give me finger bites into the ribs back when I rode more aggressively and boards would drag but I have calmed down fortunately. All in all we had a great ride and somehow managed getting home completely dry. Didn't think it was possible looking at the mountain clouds we kept skirting and I said I would rather be lucky than good any day.

Your a lucky guy and Orchards Gap is a great road

Old 07-06-2019, 06:58 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme

It really is a pleasure having someone like that who enjoys the ride.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:45 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,282 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Good ol' Garmin took us for an excursion in WV. Intentions was to take U.S. 60 from Sam Black Church to Rainelle, WV. We wound up on a paved (at times) two track road. For about 5 miles in second gear up down and around and at one point the road did a reverse 180 and you could see this as you approached it, no way to turn around on a Road Glide Ultra loaded down, finally hit two lanes coming out of the mountain and picked up 60 in Rainelle. The road to avoid is James River-Kanawha Turnpike. I reached back a couple of times to make sure the wife was still aboard.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:21 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

My wife was great on my sportster. She does not like the road glide. She likes the sportster better. Was lot younger back then.

Quick Reply: A load of trust from my wife