General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle accidents making national news

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 12:24 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,414 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Looked for data on brands, couldn't find any, don't think they record that. There's a lot of stuff from NHTSA here:
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ion/812492.pdf
enough to make your eyes bleed.

I did see something that make me think. We like to think bikers are the safest drivers out there, because bikes are so dangerous. That might be true for the survivors, but the ones that get killed don't look so good:

Old 07-10-2019, 12:57 PM
RhynoRocK
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MilsurpShooter
I'm cynical but if the media is reporting on it, there's some agenda behind it.
This also brings out my cynicism of the matter.
That it's not going to raise awareness because everyone OTHER than riders have no interest in motorcycles, which are the vast majority. Others are far more concerned with how fast they can get to their destination, or what's on their phone. Instead it'll potentially create more restrictions, or even turn into a flat out ban on bikes being allowed on the road at all (I'm not saying that is the case, it's my cynical nature controlling my thoughts).

Somehow, we have removed responsibility for one's actions in this country.

Also, I know plenty of people who give me a hard time about riding my bike. I hear it every time I catch up with my girlfriend's parents. And it's always "THEY'RE DANGEROUS. YOU'LL GET KILLED" To which I reply "not true, YOU are the one who's dangerous to me".

Personally I feel that restrictions on license renewal should be in place. You'd better prove that you CAN drive responsibly before you're allowed to, especially to the elderly.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:47 PM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 771 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Buster217
I recently took an advanced rider training course. According to the information presented in the classroom session about 75% of motorcycle fatalities are caused by the rider. I don't remember the ranking but going too wide on corners, running into each other and running into other objects were all high on the list.

If you want to reduce your risk look no further than your own riding habits.
Probably correct.

• riding at night
  • riding in groups
  • speeding and passing other vehicles aggressively
  • using alcohol or drugs

If you refrain from just those four things, your chances of being in a significant accident fall dramatically.

If you also wear appropriate motorcycling gear and avoid riding during rush hour traffic, your survival rate will be vastly improved.

Last edited by DM426; 07-10-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:47 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Frostbite
Like this? -

Enough numbers to make your eyes fog up -
https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality...ycles-and-atvs

The one sentence that really pissed me off -
Twenty-eight percent of fatally injured motorcycle drivers in 2017 had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) at or above 0.08 percent; in single-vehicle crashes this was 42 percent.
There is no damn excuse for this...
What's missing is the number of each of those on the road.

And I won't justify drinking and riding, but it must be remembered that that stat's on accidents includes if anyone involved had been drinking, whether they were at fault or not.

Last edited by mmancuso; 07-11-2019 at 10:49 AM. Reason: addition
Old 07-11-2019, 05:45 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by DM426
Probably correct.

• riding at night
  • riding in groups
  • speeding and passing other vehicles aggressively
  • using alcohol or drugs

If you refrain from just those four things, your chances of being in a significant accident fall dramatically.

If you also wear appropriate motorcycling gear and avoid riding during rush hour traffic, your survival rate will be vastly improved.
Hmmm. I wasn’t doing any of those things but it didn’t help when a 94 year old woman in a Chrysler pulled across the road in front of me, either.

Of course, I survived, so I guess, statistically it doesn’t count.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:50 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,835 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Hmmm. I wasn’t doing any of those things but it didn’t help when a 94 year old woman in a Chrysler pulled across the road in front of me, either.

Of course, I survived, so I guess, statistically it doesn’t count.
Same year, except the driver in my case wasn't 94.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:32 AM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Here in Oklahoma any report of a motorcycle accident always ends with...'the rider was/was not wearing a helmet'.
and

Originally Posted by 4 inch pistons
Here the report is ALWAYS "A MOTORCYCLE STRUCK A CAR KILLING THE RIDER".

It is NEVER "AN AUTOMOBILE TURNED LEFT IN FRONT OF A MOTORCYCLE KILLING THE RIDER"---even though that is the case most of the time. It will say that way down toward the end of the story.
Apparently the reporting style is the same in Ohio. Check out this local (to me) news story I just read this morning. The headline is:

Motorcyclist dead after colliding into pick-up truck in Darke County

When I read the headline, I wasn't sure if the guy ran into the back of a vehicle that was stopped or not, then when you read the story, it's the same old tired crap. It's like if you're a reporter you can almost say if it's a mc accident a stock article, mentioning that a cager pulled out in front of a mc, and just fill in the blanks as to when where and who was involved.

DARKE COUNTY — One person is dead as a result of a crash Sunday on U.S. 127 and U.S. 36 West, according to the Darke County Sheriff’s Office.

Nicholas Woodruff, 24, of Greenville, was operating a 2000 Kawasaki Ninja when he collided into the driver side of a 1995 GMC Sierra pick-up truck driven by Kenneth Reynolds Jr., 66, of Tusla, OK.

Woodruff was traveling south on U.S. 127 when Reynolds, who was stopped at the intersection of U.S. 36 West and U.S. 127, pulled out to travel north.

Woodruff was not wearing a helmet and was pronounced dead at the scene.
https://www.whio.com/news/local/care...icmp=cb_widget

Old 07-23-2019, 10:10 AM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 4 inch pistons
Here the report is ALWAYS "A MOTORCYCLE STRUCK A CAR KILLING THE RIDER".

It is NEVER "AN AUTOMOBILE TURNED LEFT IN FRONT OF A MOTORCYCLE KILLING THE RIDER"---even though that is the case most of the time. It will say that way down toward the end of the story. (has video of the wrecked Harley on a flatbed)
And, sadly today, here is another example. They lead with the rider not wearing the helmet and the fault is barely mentioned in the middle of the story.

https://www.whio.com/news/local/medi...S2QsWoUu2zsgI/

SHELBY COUNTY — A motorcyclist who authorities say was not wearing helmet when a crash occurred on County Road 25A early Tuesday was transported by CareFlight to a local hospital.

The Shelby County Sheriff’s Office and emergency crews were dispatched to South County Road 25A and the I-75 overpass on the wreck involving the motorcycle and another vehicle around 5:45 a.m.
Sheriff’s deputies say the driver of the car was trying to enter the interstate from County Road 25A when it turned into the motorcycle’s path.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:54 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Long lonesome highwayman
And, sadly today, here is another example. They lead with the rider not wearing the helmet and the fault is barely mentioned in the middle of the story.

https://www.whio.com/news/local/medi...S2QsWoUu2zsgI/
I see your point. At times the media will demonize the motorcyclist through printed words left open to interpretation by the reader. And I agree, it's spun agenda bullshit.

I will admit that my FIRST question is "Did the rider have on a helmet?" If so, I keep reading for more details. If not, I don't.

Without taking this down any legal and personal rights paths, I wear my helmet strictly from a safety perspective. Laws or no laws, I like my brains working just fine and I do what I can to keep them that way while still enjoying motorcycling. To me it's common sense. If you bonk you head off something either wearing a helmet or not wearing a helmet your chances of living are far greater with one. It's a personal choice, that's all. If you don't want to wear a helmet, don't.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:02 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,414 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Ever notice in all the helmet ads they never state - "The Federal Government has determined that this device is only 37% effective in preventing fatalities."

Make your own decision...

Quick Reply: Motorcycle accidents making national news