General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral problem on 2016 Street Bob?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 08:44 PM
kavenius
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral problem on 2016 Street Bob?

Greetings all... new to the forum, but I can't find this issue anywhere on the internet. I have no issues physically shifting into neutral, but my neutral light won't initiate maybe 50% of the time. When this is the case, I can't start my bike. Odder, to get it to register neutral, I actually have to bounce on the seat. The light will flicker on and off... eventually it will stay on, and the starter with then turn work.

Anyone? Thanks in advance!

2016 FXDB, Stage 1 (Vance and Hines Short Shots, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, SESTP)

Old 07-11-2019, 06:35 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,174 Likes on 5,604 Posts

Are you saying it wont go into neutral or it does go in but the light wont come on? If it wont hit neutral its probably a clutch adjustment issue. If its just the light you got a short somewhere. Might have to trace the wire and find it.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:52 AM
kavenius
Stage III

I know I’m in neutral:

1. Bike rolls easily without clutch lever pulled
2. If I sit down aggressively (bounce), the N light will come on and/or flash on and off. I have to do this a few to several times at various pressures before the N light stays on and the bike then allow me to try to start.

Last night I did trace the neutral wires back to the transmission and pulled them off the cap. One had a slight bit of corrosion (white powder) inside. I wiped clean with alcohol swap. Now N light seems to be much more normal.

Slight NEW twist: when shifting into neutral and sitting on bike, N light comes on. If I stand, N light turns off. This happens with bike started and running as well. Is there a weight sensor for safety?

Old 07-11-2019, 07:59 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,174 Likes on 5,604 Posts

Originally Posted by kavenius
I know I’m in neutral:

1. Bike rolls easily without clutch lever pulled
2. If I sit down aggressively (bounce), the N light will come on and/or flash on and off. I have to do this a few to several times at various pressures before the N light stays on and the bike then allow me to try to start.

Last night I did trace the neutral wires back to the transmission and pulled them off the cap. One had a slight bit of corrosion (white powder) inside. I wiped clean with alcohol swap. Now N light seems to be much more normal.

Slight NEW twist: when shifting into neutral and sitting on bike, N light comes on. If I stand, N light turns off. This happens with bike started and running as well. Is there a weight sensor for safety?
Sounds like a short. Could also be a broken wire. I had an 02 Super Glide that would start and idle normally. As soon as I put it in gear and started moving the bike would die. Start it back up and idle just fine, drop in gear and it died. After a lot of headaches I found the battery cable had broken inside the insulation. When it sat still and at idle it was fine. As soon as the bike moved the wire would lose contact inside the insulation and shut off. Might have the same thing going on with your neutral light.

The following users liked this post:
kavenius (07-12-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 08:21 AM
danhahn
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Sounds like a switch, short, or bad connection issue.
Bike does not have to be in neutral to start. If it's in gear you just need the clutch pulled in, unless things have changed.
There is no weight sensor that I'm aware of. Mine all start standing next to them if they are in neutral.

kavenius (07-12-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 02:27 PM
jcsjr321
Intermediate
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Pull your neutral safety switch and make sure its clean push the plunger in a few times and make sure it clean inside. It is the switch on top of the transmission that you traced the wires to. Don't worry there are no surprises when pulling it. It is a simple plunger switch. It sounds more like a wire issue but easy enough to clean the switch and eliminate it as the problem.

kavenius (07-12-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 08:22 PM
kavenius
Stage III

Ok, all replies are correct. And not..........

So I figured more out tonight.

Issue 1: Neutral light still not engaging for unknown reason
Issue 2: Safety switch (plunger) not be pressed far enough

There’s the magical temp fix, #2. Concurrently, the bike just won’t f’in start. If I push the plunger with my finger, even with N light not lit, bike starts. So I glued a little something onto the plunger for now and all good. I’ll figure the electric issue out with the N light with patience. At least I can start the damn bike now!

Thanks all for you replies and offerings...