General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D's Livewire Press Release

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 08:21 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
But other areas are giving up human land to meet requirements.
A few years back, the cost of corn was on the rise, causing food prices to rise. The reason? Demand for corn that was used to make ethanol. Fortunately, the ethanol fad is basically over with. Point being... people have been wasting good land to produce energy for a while now.

Not saying I believe those lands in AZ should be turned to glass. For a much smaller area you can generate power by other means.
Does it really matter how much land a solar plant needs, when that land is basically useless for any other purpose? Regardless, I believe the future is in a distributed system where all of those unused roof tops are converted into power sources.

One funny thing, when they take down windmills they only remove the concrete 10 feet or 20 feet deep. Trees won't grow. So in few hundred years, we will have people worshipping at these rings in the forest.
BTW, I am not a big fan of wind power. One really good thing about wind is that it produces energy at night. But, I think the advancements in battery technology will minimize this consideration. I expect every home will at some point have a power wall capable of running the home for at least 12 hours. They are really not that expensive at this point and they have other value.

I'll take power at a flip of the switch.
A lot of people like this convenience. A lot of people also like being independent. One of my other interests is in off-grid living. Solar is a very popular technology for people want to disconnect. Right now it requires making some sacrifices. But, the trend has been towards ever more efficient appliances and lighting, which benefits everyone. Eventually, the convenience you are looking for will be there for people living off-grid.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:53 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I said the value is people where it is to expensive to bring power in, such as off grid. But off grid is a small market. I have a camp, where maybe I would consider for end if world, if I was bored enough.

Problem with the dead space on roofs,is much of country has snow and trees.

Most people are lazy. How many have a clothes line. I got 2.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:56 AM
spiceman40
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to know why this thing is going to sale?
Because it's the first year Harley electric bike. This thing will be sitting in a future motorcycle museum 100 years from now when people are flying drones to work. We will all be worm dirt and this thing will be considered a rare classic. Look toward the pitiful future my friends.

The following users liked this post:
Agoober (07-17-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 08:56 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,734 Likes on 2,399 Posts

I used to run IC engines in my model helicopters. At the time the fuel cost around Ł2 per flight purchased a gallon at a time as required. When LiPo batteries came out the cost of recharging them was pennies for the same flight time compared to the fuel we used to run.

The analogy we came up with to mitigate the batteries cost was it was likened to buying all the fuel for the summer season and beyond in one go up front before the first flight.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 07-16-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by spiceman40
You want to know why this thing is going to sale?
Because it's the first year Harley electric bike. This thing will be sitting in a future motorcycle museum 100 years from now when people are flying drones to work. We will all be worm dirt and this thing will be considered a rare classic. Look toward the pitiful future my friends.
Right. LOL

Old 07-16-2019, 08:06 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Be interesting to see what holds up longer, motor or engine. I suspect motor, no rings or valves. But I dunno.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:05 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,734 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Almost certainly a brushless motor. It will have at least 2 bearings. If they are dealt with like HD wheel bearings...

Old 07-17-2019, 02:57 AM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,004 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
I used to run IC engines in my model helicopters. At the time the fuel cost around Ł2 per flight purchased a gallon at a time as required. When LiPo batteries came out the cost of recharging them was pennies for the same flight time compared to the fuel we used to run.

The analogy we came up with to mitigate the batteries cost was it was likened to buying all the fuel for the summer season and beyond in one go up front before the first flight.
Mate I used to fly RC heli's and when I say I sold all of them in one piece you know what I mean, never crashed one hard enough to wreck it.. They are tough to learn on ,but I digress , yes I had glow engine Heli's then I had electric heli's now I have electric drones(way way easier to fly as well) Electric is the future.I will own a Livewire one day definitely.

Peace.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:21 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
Almost certainly a brushless motor. It will have at least 2 bearings. If they are dealt with like HD wheel bearings...
If they’re anything like Harley wheel bearings you can expect to rebuild your electric motor every 10-15,000 miles, and Harley will probably make it so the entire bike has to be disassembled to do it. Have to make money for the dealer somehow.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:47 AM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

There is a first ride review on Revzilla's daily blog. Worth reading.
kk

The following users liked this post:
Mark Faulkner (07-17-2019)

Quick Reply: H-D's Livewire Press Release