Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   What are your thoughs on this OTD price? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1292837-what-are-your-thoughs-on-this-otd-price.html)

Lamsauce 07-16-2019 02:37 PM

What are your thoughs on this OTD price?

I am a new rider who only got my license about 2 weeks ago, but felt quite confident with the street 500 bike during my rider's course and so test rode a few irons at dealerships. One dealership was giving me the bait and switch and I got tired of it so went to another. I was interested in a 8k usd 2018 used iron 883. When I got there, however, I was told that the iron was sold. So they offered me 500 dollars off a new 2019 model which came out as 10,079 usd without the engine guard I installed. I live in California so there was a crazy 870 usd sales tax. Freight was 360 usd, license fee was 235 usd, documentation fee was 85 usd, and the cash price of the motorcycle is 8579 USD. I so far deposited 5k. Thank you and I appreciate any replies given.

Tommy C 07-16-2019 02:46 PM

Well, you could have picked up a really nice used Sportster for $5000. That's what I would do.

upflying 07-16-2019 02:49 PM

The used 883 market is soft and saturated with low mile bikes. You could have found a real nice used bike for much less.
Glad to see you are putting $5000 down so you will have a little bit of equity when you sign the sales contract.
Avoid the temptation to add a service contract and extended warranties when you sit down with the finance manager...
Unfortunately your 883 will have a trade value of $6000 a year from now. Many Sporty riders trade up soon after buying one.
As a new rider, don't get too confident with it, that's how many novice riders get killed.
Stay safe.

CaffeineBuzz 07-16-2019 02:52 PM

Doesn't Harley have a program now where you can buy select Sportsters and they give you a great deal on trade-in in a year?

Lamsauce 07-16-2019 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 18403831)
The used 883 market is soft and saturated with low mile bikes. You could have found a real nice used bike for much less.
Glad to see you are putting $5000 down so you will have a little bit of equity when you sign the sales contract.
Avoid the temptation to add a service contract and extended warranties when you sit down with the finance manager...
Unfortunately your 883 will have a trade value of $6000 a year from now. Many Sporty riders trade up soon after buying one.
As a new rider, don't get too confident with it, that's how many novice riders get killed.
Stay safe.

Thanks for the reply. I tried looking on Craigslist and lots of those cheaper bikes were 2016 models or under with over 10k miles selling at about 6k. I discussed this with the dealership and his response was that there are many sellers with unrealistic expectations of what their bikes are worth and that they might have done upgrades that affected that price. I always hear there are many used irons around but can't seem to find a good one though. Thank you for your feedback

VAFish 07-16-2019 02:55 PM

$500 off doesn't sound like enough to me. but if you are happy with the deal that's all that matters.

Besides if you have put $5,000 down already you have signed a contract I assume.

wyndnface 07-16-2019 02:55 PM

Have you checked out : Yuba City,Vacaville,Rocklin ?? Rocklin has a 48-1200 the same as what ur paying ..Yuba City has a 18 iron 883 RED for $7500,, 18 iron 1200 $8k..Vacaville is a little higher priced..
Sac craiglist has a bunch of sporty's
Good luck

Lamsauce 07-16-2019 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz (Post 18403840)
Doesn't Harley have a program now where you can buy select Sportsters and they give you a great deal on trade-in in a year?

Yes that is right. It works within one year, but to be honest I don't see myself moving into a new bike in a while.

upflying 07-16-2019 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lamsauce (Post 18403844)
Thanks for the reply. I tried looking on Craigslist and lots of those cheaper bikes were 2016 models or under with over 10k miles selling at about 6k. I discussed this with the dealership and his response was that there are many sellers with unrealistic expectations of what their bikes are worth and that they might have done upgrades that affected that price. I always hear there are many used irons around but can't seem to find a good one though. Thank you for your feedback

Lesson #1 for a new rider: Upgrades, custom do-dads and accessories do not add value to a motorcycle.

Lamsauce 07-16-2019 02:59 PM

fyi I bought mine at Laidlaw's