General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

110 CVO Breakout running like a one legged horse!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 08:06 AM
OAF
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110 CVO Breakout running like a one legged horse!

I have a 2014 110 CVO breakout with V&H pipes, and screaming eagle stage one tuning, Last year I noticed that it seemed a bit sluggish about mid rev range, but as it was nearing the end of the summer I did nothing about it, now I was out on it today getting it MOT'd and it hasn't got any better or worse, it just feels gut less. I have spoken to a couple of Harley dealers who have been pretty useless in offering advice, other than the stock answer-book it in to our workshops and we will have a look.
Has anybody got any proper advice on what may be the issue, or how I can go about sorting it out?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers Si

Old 07-19-2019, 08:13 AM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,208 Likes on 741 Posts

First thing to do is a scan for errors.

The following users liked this post:
OAF (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 10:06 AM
on3wego
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

Did you start with all the usual suspects?

Change fuel filter, plugs, oil and what not?

OAF (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 11:09 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

Plymouth Harley-Davidson have quite a good reputation from what I see. Get them to give it the once over having first checked yourself for any stored codes. Either that or you can end up chasing your tail exploring dead ends trying to figure out and with others speculating what exactly is wrong? It could be a myriad of things.

I too have a CVO Breakout and am lucky to have a decent independent near me but there doesn't seem to be one near Plymouth, that is of course presuming the bike is there and not at one of the three other places you 'sort of' live at?

Last edited by K9F; 07-19-2019 at 11:11 AM.
OAF (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 11:41 AM
OAF
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by K9F
Plymouth Harley-Davidson have quite a good reputation from what I see. Get them to give it the once over having first checked yourself for any stored codes. Either that or you can end up chasing your tail exploring dead ends trying to figure out and with others speculating what exactly is wrong? It could be a myriad of things.

I too have a CVO Breakout and am lucky to have a decent independent near me but there doesn't seem to be one near Plymouth, that is of course presuming the bike is there and not at one of the three other places you 'sort of' live at?
Thanks guys for your replies. The bike had its annual oil change last year, but nothing else, I haven't checked anything on it at all, apart from looking under the seat to see if there was a plug and play tuning upgrade which one dealer suggested looking for.

The bike is in Staffs/Shrops so it won't be going to Plymouth anytime soon.

The issue feels fuel related rather than an electrical issue, or plugs, it just doesn't seem to have the same vavaavoom that it used to have nor is it anywhere near as spritely as the Soft tail, which is standard!

How can I scan for errors? and where is the fuel filter on them?

The bike has only covered 11k miles, and i bet it hasn't even done 100 since its last service.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:42 AM
OAF
3rd Gear

How do I do that?

Old 07-19-2019, 11:55 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

It will be in your owner's manual on how to check for codes. And: https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-...ble-codes.html
The fuel filter is in the tank. How many miles on it?

The following 2 users liked this post by nevil:
K9F (07-20-2019), OAF (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 01:45 AM
OAF
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by nevil
It will be in your owner's manual on how to check for codes. And: https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-...ble-codes.html
The fuel filter is in the tank. How many miles on it?
Thanks for that, 11K on the clock

Old 07-20-2019, 04:00 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

Great link Nevil.

Oaf when was she last serviced (not mileage but time) with the professed low mileage since last service and if she has been sat, first thing I would do would be to drain and ditch the fuel and get a fresh lot, but once again this is pure speculation but in this instance would not cost much.

Oaf have a look at the independent below and see if he is worth a shot? Google is your friend!

http://www.revshogmotorcycles.co.uk/

Last edited by K9F; 07-20-2019 at 04:05 AM.
OAF (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 05:21 AM
OAF
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by K9F
Great link Nevil.

Oaf when was she last serviced (not mileage but time) with the professed low mileage since last service and if she has been sat, first thing I would do would be to drain and ditch the fuel and get a fresh lot, but once again this is pure speculation but in this instance would not cost much.

Oaf have a look at the independent below and see if he is worth a shot? Google is your friend!

http://www.revshogmotorcycles.co.uk/
I know only too well about stale fuel as my ride on lawn mowers are always a pig to start in the spring!

Top man for the recommendation, he couldn't help but put me in touch with a guy in Bromsgrove who I think may have identified the issue. The bike had to have a new oxygen sensor last year and it was only after that I noticed the issue, and I never connected the two. So apparently the bike just needs remapping now and that will sort the issue out, how true that is we won't know until it is remapped!
Thanks again for everyones help and advice.