General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In-fairing, rear facing signal light indicators?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 02:34 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts
Cool In-fairing, rear facing signal light indicators?

Hey Y'all...been a while since I posted. Been laying down miles on my 04 RKC w/ Memphis Shades fairing and not surfing the forums much.
Occasionally I won't notice, but during a lane change or whatever my signal lights won't cancel and I'll eventually notice
down on the dash the teeny-tiny green blinky light going (really hard to see, especially with a FF helmet and bright sunny day)

Has anyone rigged up small orange(?) LED light up above your brake and clutch levers facing somewhat out and back towards the rider?
In my case, on my MS fairing, the outermost bolts that hold on the windscreen might be a good place for a couple small brackets that I could put some small orange LED's in. They'd be directly in my line of sight w/o moving my head at all. (full face helmet)

That way I could see if I either neglected to signal (doesn't happen very often), or the signal cancelled and I pushed it back on by mistake as the lean angle was enough to auto cancel(hey, it happens), or the signal is on forever, like that 90 yr old man in the stationwagon you follow for 40 miles on the Interstate. (normal 90* turns at intersections are all OK.....I signal, they auto cancel....all is right in the world.......I am mostly talking about lane changes)

--if you have wired up additional signal lights, where have you tied into them at?...gas tank dash? front lights themselves?...under the seat?

Ideas?

Thanks !

Last edited by ve9aa; 07-21-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:08 PM
Wheelerza
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 87 Posts

Harley should just add a light in the indicator switch, that will make it way more noticeable. Agree you don’t see the blinker with a ff on unless you crank you head down.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:19 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,166 Likes on 5,602 Posts

Not a bad idea but it may be blinding at night. If you do it, you might want to make sure its a really small light.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:46 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
Not a bad idea but it may be blinding at night. If you do it, you might want to make sure its a really small light.
This is very true. On my FXR, the idiot lights are part of the top clamp on the bar riser. When I was changing bars and got a 8” riser I got the bright idea of replacing all the tiny incandescent bulbs with bright, LED indicators. Which are indeed very bright. Excellent in daylight, makes is difficult not to notice a signal is left on, however I often use the high beam at night and that damn blue LED is practically blinding at night, being right at the bottom of my field of forward view. If it would be easier to replace it with a dimmer LED, I would have, but it’s a giant pita and since I hardly ride the FXR, I just haven’t bothered.

The point being be careful with a LED bright enough to be seen in sunlight, it might be annoying at night. Newer OEM have ambient light sensors that dim/brighten instruments. Not sure though if that affects idiot lights or just backlighting. Just FYI.

The following users liked this post:
ve9aa (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 07:38 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

I did this on my old FLHT (4 years +/- ago).
Previous owner had put the mirrors in the fairing (not a huge fan {to each there own}) like the street glide.
I went back to handle bar mounted style.
Anyway....... I added the pop in LED dot lights (filled the hole) and wired them into the blinker wires.
Worked great and the car beside you can also see them.
With all the LED lights out there I am sure you can come up with something the will work.

ve9aa (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 11:08 AM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by GRWHD
I did this on my old FLHT (4 years +/- ago).
Previous owner had put the mirrors in the fairing (not a huge fan {to each there own}) like the street glide.
I went back to handle bar mounted style.
Anyway....... I added the pop in LED dot lights (filled the hole) and wired them into the blinker wires.
Worked great and the car beside you can also see them.
With all the LED lights out there I am sure you can come up with something the will work.
Do you recall where you spliced into the wiring at?

Old 07-23-2019, 05:43 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,950 Likes on 1,709 Posts

I did exactly what you are referring to a few years ago. Splice right into existing wiring.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...of-seeing.html

ve9aa (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 07:18 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by ve9aa
Do you recall where you spliced into the wiring at?
Since it was an FLHT all the wires were under the fairing.
Followed the ones that went to the right area, turned the blinkers on and tested till I found the right ones.
If you have a wiring diagram it would help, but you still should test them before splicing.

Last edited by GRWHD; 07-23-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:37 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Mirror lights
www.muthco.com

Old 09-30-2019, 05:33 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member

So, I installed them about 2 weeks ago and love them. In the day or the night, I never have to look down with my FF helmet on (with sunglasses) and try to peer at the wimpy LED's on the dash to see if I've left them on after a lane change.
All good !

Sorry for the horrible pic. Took in the evening with my cell phone and I geuss it didn't focus right. Doesn't matter....it just illustrates they are as bright as my other lights.
3 tiny orange LED's. They are nearly in front of my knuckles , mounted inside the fairing and easily seeable 40' away in the daytime by a car behind me (at most (but not all) angles. I'll try to get another picture another day. I figure I have about $20 into the installation about a couple hours work (mostly soldering and crimping)

Last edited by ve9aa; 09-30-2019 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply: In-fairing, rear facing signal light indicators?