Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Do you think Kickstarts are (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1359236-do-you-think-kickstarts-are.html)

Ricky2Guns 02-04-2021 11:35 AM

Do you think Kickstarts are

Gone for good? At least, fresh from the factory? Every now and then HD has thrown a bone on “throw backs” be it paint scheme, bikes like the 72, etc... HD says the old timers are fading away and they’re attributing declining sales to the dying breed. Of course this is NOT to say declining sales are a result of not having a kickstart option.But there are young builders who are doing kickstarters cause there’s a market for nostalgia. As I understand it, the last Kickstarter HD made was back in 1986? Would you be in favor of, or even consider being a buyer of a Harley with a kickstarter? Of course these days they would probably offer a kickstart/electric start option. Not saying you would drop what you have to purchase one JUST BECAUSE it had a kickstarter, but maybe if you were already in the market for a new bike. Would this be an option you would lean towards?

Super Glidester 02-04-2021 12:18 PM

I have seen a kit where you can add one that triggers the electric start, also one for "looks"

Keithhu 02-04-2021 12:36 PM

Please take a video of you trying to kickstart a 114ci engine.

Ricky2Guns 02-04-2021 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Keithhu (Post 19714549)
Please take a video of you trying to kickstart a 114ci engine.

Vehicle appropriate of course. I believe IF they did it would be the sporty line and maybe some others that are do-able.

Keithhu 02-04-2021 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ricky2Guns (Post 19714554)
Vehicle appropriate of course. I believe IF they did it would be the sporty line and maybe some others that are do-able.

Mabye an 883.

But I'll file this idea under "Having solved all other problems at Harley-Davidson...."

Super Glidester 02-04-2021 12:51 PM

Nah kids don't ant to drive a car with a shifter, me thinks a kick start is too much work for them :)

GearheadMike 02-04-2021 01:10 PM

I had an '81 wide glide that was near impossible to kick start.
My buddy, on the way to Arizona, broke his foot kickstarting his shovelhead.
Don't miss them.

Clammy 02-04-2021 01:16 PM

For many years, Reaper was destroying starter clutches, and more than a few times, I had to bump start her. A kicker would have been a nice option. That said, kicking over a high compression 98ci engine would be a real feat of strength, I'd imagine! Even with compression releases. I love the look of the folded up kicker arm/pedal, too. :D

Cheers!
:icon_headbang: :icon_headbang: :icon_headbang:

RHPAW 02-04-2021 01:22 PM

I actually took out the electric start on my '74 Ironhead, and put in a kickstarter.
The electric starter was a piece of crap back then.
But...that was 1974.
Engines are too big now. Some even have compression releases even with the electric start.
I have a friend with a 98" stroker Shovel. Kicker too. He's a big boy.

IronAss 02-04-2021 01:22 PM

I think Baker use to make a Kicker kit. Just this morning I was kicking around the idea if putting one on the Evo I just bought.