Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Street Glide Wind Buffeting - my journey (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1363539-street-glide-wind-buffeting-my-journey.html)

Sanjuro 03-18-2021 11:00 AM

Street Glide Wind Buffeting - my journey

Just thought I would share my experience with trying to eliminate wind buffeting on my new 2021 Street Glide Special.

I have been riding my new SGS for more than 5 weeks now, and found that with the stock windshield (I believe it is a 4” height) any speed over 65 mph and I was getting my head knocked around by wind buffeting. I am 5’7” with a 30” inseam.

The buffeting was so bad with the stock SGS windshield, that my vision was blurry, I was became dizzy, and I had headaches after the ride. It was like someone was hitting my head with a rubber hammer 5 times per second. Forget going up to 80 mph. I thought I would have brain damage after riding.

So first thing I added was the Kuryakyn Triple tree wind deflector. While it did not change the buffeting, I did note that the wind coming from below the tank hit me at chest level instead of just under my helmet, and the ride seemed smoother and quieter. Though there was no change in buffeting, I decided to keep the Kuryakyn Triple Tree wind defector on the bike.

Next I tried adding a Klock Werks 5” Flare windshield. I found that with the 5” Flare, the buffeting was slightly reduced, and instead of coming on at 65 mph, started to come on at 70 mph. I also noted that if I leaned forward about 6-8” (toward the windshield), the buffeting stopped completely. I really did not want to keep leaning forward, and a 5 mph gain did not seem that much to me, so I removed the 5” Flare and continued to search for a better solution.

Then I tried no windshield at all. Just the SGS fairing. Interestingly, without any windshield, I found that I was able to go up to 75 mph with no buffeting. My head was just in the wind. At 80 mph, however, buffeting started, but was less that if I had the OEM windshield or the 5” Flare windshield. A downside was that I did not really like the look of the SGS with no windshield.

Next I tried both the 4.5” and 7” Harley Windsplitter windshield. I really like the look of these shields. The 4.5” was like the 5” Flare. Same results for me. Buffeting started coming on at about 70 mph.

The 7” Harley windsplitter looked very nice on the bike. With it, buffeting started coming on at about 75 mph. The 7” was about the same as when I rode with no windshield (with the buffeting coming on at 75 mph).

Still not satisfied, I decided to just cut rectangular holes in the stock OEM windshield that came on the SGS. My thought was to reduce the vacuum behind the windshield. Much to my surprise, I eliminated the majority of the wind buffing. Above 75 there was some buffeting, but it was very much minimized, and better than the Harley Windsplitter or the Klock Werks Flare.

I was not crazy about the looks, but I did like the decrease in wind buffeting.

I next purchased the Harley 7” Windsplitter and cut rectangular holes (this time near the bottom of the shield). This did not work at all - being the same as the 7” Windsplitter with no cut.

I finally gave in and decided to try the H-D fork mounted wind deflectors - “Fangs” as they are often called. Many on the forums mentioned that the Fangs would work... Got them, painted them satin black (since they only come in chrome), and mounted them.

Success! The H-D Fork Mounted Wind Deflectors were the solution for me. No more wind buffeting at all, even up to 90 mph. This with the stock windshield.

I really tried not to go the route of the Fangs, as I was not crazy about the look. But the huge advantage of no wind buffeting, and with the fangs painted black, I can live with it. The look is actually starting to grow on me, and I think it’s pretty cool.

Other downsides to the Fangs? None for me. I do notice that the wind sound is much decreased, and I can hear the engine and radio much better. Also, there was some increase in the feeling of heat from the engine on my leg.

I know - pics right? I’ll take some tonight and put them up.

R,
Sanjuro

Pothole914 03-18-2021 11:08 AM

I used the 7" Windsplitter shield and the JES Customs fangs on my 19 SGS, that combo was perfect.

Just traded for a 2020 SGS and moved everything over to it from the 2019, same results.

Works great.

Slingshot383 03-18-2021 11:10 AM

As you found out, the main source of buffeting is up from below and in front of the fuel tank, and that the dog dish and fork fangs cure that.

scott_0 03-18-2021 11:21 AM

I realize I'm riding a motorcycle and just deal with the slight buffeting I experience, it was greatly reduced with my 6.5" Klock Werks, when I switched to a different seat that lowered me a bit, I went to a 5" Klock Werks, buffeting is the same, very very minimal, but as I said, I deal with knowing you're going to be in the wind, I will never run those ugly ass fangs

Sanjuro 03-18-2021 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by scott_0 (Post 19807362)
I realize I'm riding a motorcycle and just deal with the slight buffeting I experience, it was greatly reduced with my 6.5" Klock Werks, when I switched to a different seat that lowered me a bit, I went to a 5" Klock Werks, buffeting is the same, very very minimal, but as I said, I deal with knowing you're going to be in the wind, I will never run those ugly ass fangs

Your experience with buffeting is certainly different from mine. Being in the wind is one thing - and very comfortable. Wind buffeting is something else entirely, and can be quite debilitating. It is not an exaggeration to say that it feels like your head is being beat with a hammer 5 times per second.

You must be one of those riders who are of just the right height not to have too much buffeting. I am so happy you can deal with it.

beary 03-18-2021 12:22 PM

Wind and buffeting are not the same. Buffeting can be dangerous just in blurring eye sight.

After years of dealing with this issue and reading hundreds of posts, the fangs seem to be the solution. Strangely, the dog dish did nothing for me, so that always surprises me. Also, choice of helmet comes into play. A full face grabs more bottom and top air than a 1/2 helmet. I do agree that speed has a lot to do with the degree of buffeting. a 30 mph headwind is not unusual in Oklahoma, so no matter what I do to fix the problem, I may get a buffet back depending on speed and wind.

Finally, riding in 105 degree heat is not unusual in Oklahoma, and one of my concerns is that the fangs deflect some of the air that is normally used for engine cooling.

Beary

scott_0 03-18-2021 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sanjuro (Post 19807422)
You must be one of those riders who are of just the right height not to have too much buffeting. I am so happy you can deal with it.

quite possibly, I am 5' 7" lol 5' 8" on a good day, and wear a half helmet, as I said, I do get a minimal level of buffeting, it is so minimal that I will deal with it before I'd run fangs, they are ugly, and make an already hot running motor worse in the summer...

Pothole914 03-18-2021 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by scott_0 (Post 19807558)
quite possibly, I am 5' 7" lol 5' 8" on a good day, and wear a half helmet, as I said, I do get a minimal level of buffeting, it is so minimal that I will deal with it before I'd run fangs, they are ugly, and make an already hot running motor worse in the summer...

Bull Ship

They may be ugly (subjective) but they don't make the engine run hotter.

Dirty Harry 03-18-2021 01:23 PM

I ride a motorcycle and I drive my pickup. When I drive my pickup I expect a ride with out wind hitting me. When I ride my motorcycle I expect wind to be part of the ride. I don't wear a helmet while in my pickup. I wear a 3/4 helmet with a face shield when I ride my scooter to resolve the wind situation. I never expected the wind thing would spoil my ride on a scooter and it hasn't since about 1966. Don't like the wind.....ride a cage !!! I've ridden Sportsters, Low Riders, Super Glides all of the soft tails, V-rods and most of the touring bikes and they all have wind associated with riding. To me Hearing the negative things associated with riding and the wind is like hearing folks going to the beach and complaining about the sun.

teal379 03-18-2021 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry (Post 19807618)
I ride a motorcycle and I drive my pickup. When I drive my pickup I expect a ride with out wind hitting me. When I ride my motorcycle I expect wind to be part of the ride. I don't wear a helmet while in my pickup. I wear a 3/4 helmet with a face shield when I ride my scooter to resolve the wind situation. I never expected the wind thing would spoil my ride on a scooter and it hasn't since about 1966. Don't like the wind.....ride a cage !!! I've ridden Sportsters, Low Riders, Super Glides all of the soft tails, V-rods and most of the touring bikes and they all have wind associated with riding. To me Hearing the negative things associated with riding and the wind is like hearing folks going to the beach and complaining about the sun.

There is a distinct and real difference between wind and buffeting. Primarily in temp/cadence of how it hits your head.

Do you really think there wasn't any wind for this rider until he hit 75 mph and complained about the buffeting?