Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Easy pull clutch lever (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1364105-easy-pull-clutch-lever.html)

Hey Man 03-23-2021 12:15 PM

Easy pull clutch lever

Does anyone know of a compound (like the bow) type clutch lever that would less pull pressure to operate the clutch on my '93 Heritage Classic. Arthritis and neuropathy are beginning to take their toll on the hands. It's not so much a strength issue as it is pain of movement issue. Not really interested in spending several hundred dollars to convert to hydraulic unless absolutely necessary.

NORTY FLATZ 03-23-2021 12:23 PM

Burly "EZ Boy" clutch pull device. Best $25 you spent on your bike.

Reduces "pull effort" by 40%.
Still has same "lock-up" force.
You get a slightly wider friction zone too.

Adjustment is fairly critical though.

I put them on all my HD's.

army_eod 03-23-2021 12:25 PM

One of the ez clutch devices like mentioned above. I installed the Muller one. It seems to work. I also installed new levers; Kuryaken Boss Blades. My 2001 FXST clutch pull is very easy now.

RHPAW 03-23-2021 12:57 PM

I put a Burly one on my wife's bike, and eventually switched to the EZ kit from H-D.
The one from H-D is better. I put the Burly one on my bagger (since we still had it anyway). It's like a compound bow. It comes on fast, and takes a bit to get used to.

VAFish 03-23-2021 01:01 PM

I put the muller ez pull clutch and the Kuryakan adjustable blade levers on my old Sportster. Loved them.

Really disliking the hydraulic clutch on my 2019 Ultra Classic. Can't adjust the friction zone engagement point and it's way to heavy at 25 lbs of pull. Any other manufacture clutch pull is half that or less. I'm considering putting a new slave cylinder in.

Hey Man 03-24-2021 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by RHPAW (Post 19818311)
I put a Burly one on my wife's bike, and eventually switched to the EZ kit from H-D.
The one from H-D is better. I put the Burly one on my bagger (since we still had it anyway). It's like a compound bow. It comes on fast, and takes a bit to get used to.

Do you have a part number on the Harley EZ kit? Harley web site says there's no such thing.

Cozz 03-24-2021 07:36 PM

Oil up your cable . Clean and grease all contact points between the lever and perch. I did this last spring and the difference was incredible. MUCH less effort required to operate the clutch lever. Plus, it’s almost free. I would try this first before anything else. I think it is often overlooked when doing normal maintenance. One year later, it still feels like I did it yesterday.

guido4198 03-25-2021 03:07 AM

FWIW: Like Cozz said, I've found a LOT of improvement in clutch pull by lubing the cable periodically. Over time, the change in force required to pull the clutch handle is so subtle that you don't notice it get a little harder, then a little harder...then a little harder..until you start thinking "Damn...this clutch is really getting tough to pull with my old hands".
Clean everything up, flush out the cable sheath and lube it with something. I've used motor oil, powdered graphite in WD-40, all kinds of "Stuff" over the years. Some last longer than others but one thing I can guarantee is that while the deterioration was gradual over time...the improvement is immediate.