General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to properly choose ape hangers for comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 03:10 AM
Burbur2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 835 Likes on 494 Posts
Default How to properly choose ape hangers for comfort?

Hi Guys

First some quick specs for reference
- I got 2022 Road Kings Special.
- Stock bars are 9” tall and 36” wide maybe 4” pullback
- I am 5’10” 200 lbs weak fat dude with somehow slightly shorter arms (maybe 1” comparing to average person) 🤣

Unfortunately this model have the worst stock handlebar ever. Needless to say I would like to change these asap. Long ride Comfort is the name of the game for me with this bikewhile I also would like to retain somehow stock classic look of this machine.

I would like to make sure I wont make any mistakes with proper selection of the bars as dealer will do the install so it is costly endeavor.

So far I ordered 12” bars with about 6” pullback 34 and 36” wide which are almost same size like regular 2017 Road King after I compared them.

Today I took friend with 2017 Road King for a ride and we switched the bikes for about 20 min. Well I feel his bike was way more comfortable but I also felt additional 2” rise would put me in even nicer position and straighten my back even better so I ordered 14” right after I came back home.

My question boils down to this: what is proper (or at least somehow acceptable) way to properly choose ape hangers as far as height, wrist angle (pullback) and width? How my position on the bike should look like to assure I got max comfort out of new bars. I watch bunch of videos and they said dont be afraid to go higher but I wont go higher then 14” for sure.

While I like wider bars about 35-36” I have to say my stock bars really stretched me on U-turns so I hope taller bars will allow some elbow bend to help with it. I also felt going taller to 14” would give me more option to adjust the bars closer to me considering my shorter arms. While I felt I cant go wrong with 12” bars somehow I felt 14” will provide even more comfort and more adjustability which is always great in case it is needed.

Should I worry about different clamp if I go with 14” or this stock clamp for 1-1/4” diameter bar would be still ok to prevent any movement back and forth? I plan to do poly bushings to prevent movement in tripple trees as well since dealer will be in this area already.

I already got electrical cables extensions and clutch cable extension, based on research brake cable should be long enough. Am I missing anything?

If you have 12-14” bars on Road king or RKS please feel free to share pictures and list your height and post some comments to help me choose wisely please.

ThNks in advance

Last edited by Burbur2; 09-09-2022 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-09-2022, 05:44 AM
603Hog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,060 Likes on 1,477 Posts

I have a 2021 RKS. I completely agree, the stock bars sucked!

Last winter, I had 12 inch bars installed. You are right that you will need the wire extensions and longer clutch cable. I have read that the brake line will stretch enough for 14 inch bars, but I'm not so sure, my brake line looks like it barely made it for the 12 inch bars on my bike. I also went with the poly bushings, and I am glad I did, my bars don't budge, even slightly. They have a very solid feel. As long as the bars you buy are 1.25 inches in diameter where the clamp goes, the stock clamp should be fine, I reused my stock clamp.

I am 5-11, and I think my arms are average length for someone my height. I really like the 12 inch bars, they are way more comfortable than stock, no more pain between my shoulder blades on long rides. With the stock bars, which forced me to hunch over, I would get pain in my mid back area after about an hour or so. That said, if I had it to do again, knowing what I know now, I would not hesitate to go to 14 inch bars. I have zero plans to swap bars again (like you said, an expensive endeavor!), but I bought the 12's because I was afraid 14's would be too high. I went back and forth, taking a few months to decide. Now I know they wouldn't be too tall.

As far a U turns with the 12's, I don't have a problem with reaching for a full lock turn. But that doesn't mean you wouldn't. Everyone is built different, if you can go to the dealer and find a used RK with 12 or 14 inch bars, try it out and see how it feels for you. In theory, you should get a little more pullback with 14's versus 12's, which will help with tight turns. FYI, the pic of my bike is with the stock bars, I don't have any pics of my bike with the 12's yet.

The following users liked this post:
Prayinghands (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 06:08 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,922 Likes on 3,022 Posts

There's no real way to test what might be good for you.
You might have to improvise a PVC mock-up and sit with it for a while.
For me (I don't have a RK), It was 14's on 1.5" risers 3" pull back.
But I'm 6' tall with long arms, 280lbs. I should have gone with 16's

Last edited by RANGER73; 09-09-2022 at 09:59 AM.
cprhed (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 07:02 AM
Stowe
Tourer
Received 384 Likes on 177 Posts

Unfortunately nobody can tell you what will be comfortable for you. Sit on as many bikes as you can and see what seems to fit you best, then cross your fingers and hope you picked the right one. I'm 5-9 and have 12s on my RK. I've often wondered if 14s would be better, but I'm content with these. They work well for me.

DanHappy (09-13-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 07:18 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,475 Likes on 3,899 Posts

You will definitely find that the less pull back you have , the more comfortable your hands / wrists will be on longer rides . I find with mine ( 5 3/4" ) , 12" Kromewerkz bobber bars ( 300411 ) , the pull back keeps my hands from getting sore and numb . that tingly feeling . I can ride all day and have no pain , hands , arms or back .

I'm about the same size you are , and with the 12" height and 35" width , I have no issues with doing full lock u-turns . The bars can be adjusted after they're installed , just pulling them a little closer to you can make a huge difference .

Going with the poly bushings is a good idea , it will keep the bars more rigid , since your changing out the bars , why not . As far as clamps , the stock should do just fine , however , you can purchase a top clamp with set screws that would help keep your bars from moving .

Old 09-09-2022, 07:26 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,886 Likes on 4,674 Posts

Just get 16s and never look back!

Old 09-09-2022, 07:44 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,205 Posts

Theres apes and theres comfort - depending on the person, you cant have both. If you want pure comfort, IMO the best bars made are stock HD HST bars, want a mix, I like 14s

Old 09-09-2022, 07:55 AM
Zonktified
Tourer
Received 214 Likes on 108 Posts

Sounds like you already ordered bars, but if you are still shopping, you may want to look at KST Renegades. They are very adjustable for width and pullback. They also come in various heights as well. Generally you would want your hads/arms just about shoulder height or parallel to the ground is what I've read/heard...and you have a already gotten a bunch of good advise above.
Good Luck!

Old 09-09-2022, 07:59 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
There's no real way to test what might be good for you.
You might have to improvise a PVC mock-up and sit with it for a while.
For me (I don't have a RK), It was 14's in 1.5" risers 3" pull back.
But I'm 6' tall with long arms, 280lbs. I should have gone with 16's
Yep, pvc is the best way to go. Check out what I did on my Ultra. This makes it really easy.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...l#post17040026

WP50 (09-11-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 09:34 AM
Burbur2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 835 Likes on 494 Posts

Thank you guys this was really helpful.

While I realize no one can tell me what bars would be perfect for me I still would like to know what is recommended ergonomic position as far as hands go?

One post mentioned height to be at the shoulder height but what about width or wrist angle? Is there ergonomic formula by which we should take under consideration when choosing bars?

I regret not trying PVC pipe idea when I was adjusting my current bars since I was already there but I doubt I will take this whole thing apart again to get to risers again but great tip.

It is encouraging to hear good results with 12” bars on RKS and thats what many YouTube videos mentioned that people often want to go 2” higher after a while so I think I took this correction after yesterday ride and trying 12” with my buddy so maybe a little save on this front.

Unfortunately I couldn't find many videos on motorcycles ergonomics on YouTube so I hope someone can share more info on ergonomics or some golden rules here as well.

Quick Reply: How to properly choose ape hangers for comfort?