General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't understand the Goldwing references

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:16 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I don't understand the Goldwing references

I see a lot of references to Goldwings and Goldwing riders as though they are the ultimate UNCOOL NON-BIKER. Why is this? Tempers certainly flair when people bash Harleys yet Goldwing bashing certainly isa common pasttime around here. If I were to take an extended multi-thousand miletrip around North America on a morotcycle and could choose any bike to do it on I know exactly which one I'd pick.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: I don't understand the Goldwing references

Well this is a Harley site & a Goldwing is a Harley wannabe

Old 07-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Radical
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been around long but have never seen a thread bashing Honda or Goldwings. You wouldn't be trolling now would you?

Old 07-26-2007, 12:27 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see a lot of Goldwing bashing as much as I do people just having some light hearted fun. I think this forum, if anything, goes out of it's way to point out the strengths of other bikes. You hear people say over and over that the Wing is very fast, but it just has no soul and doesn't feel like a bike to them. I don't call this bashing. Now go to the Goldwing forum and you'll see some serious Harley bashing. And I don't mean light hearted stuff either.

What's wrong with taking an HD touring bike on a multi thousand mile trip around North America? One of the fav myths the Wing group likes to spout is the Harley isn't good for anything other thanbar hopping. I'd take my Road King or an Ultra around the countrywithout batting an eye, and I certainly wouldn'tthink I'd need a Wing to do it.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:28 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ken thompson
If I were to take an extended multi-thousand mile trip around North America on a morotcycle and could choose any bike to do it on I know exactly which one I'd pick.
I'd pick one of mine.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:28 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were to take an extended multi-thousand mile trip around North America on a morotcycle and could choose any bike to do it on I know exactly which one I'd pick.
So do I, my Ultra Classic. A first class "road sofa".

The only Honda product I would like to own would be a restored CB750. The rest leave me cold.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:30 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't realize it was wing bashing. guess I better go and read all of them again. I do know this about wings; too many swiches and *****. too much plastic, too quiet, sit too damn high. By the way, in 1963 I did a multi-thousand mile tour on a sporty.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Wags1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bikers are bikers, I don't care what they ride...but ya gotta admit though that those couples riding the yellow Goldwings, with the matching yellow trailer, wearing the matchingoutfits, and matching yellow helmets are friggin funny.....

Old 07-26-2007, 12:32 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The Goldwing bashing here is few and far between, and in my opinion, most of it is done in jest.

You want to see some brand bashing?? Go to www.gl1800riders.com , and check the Harley vs Honda thread.

Those guys HATE Harleys (well, the immature ones, anyway).

Old 07-26-2007, 12:39 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: petemac

I don't see a lot of Goldwing bashing as much as I do people just having some light hearted fun. I think this forum, if anything, goes out of it's way to point out the strengths of other bikes. You hear people say over and over that the Wing is very fast, but it just has no soul and doesn't feel like a bike to them. I don't call this bashing. Now go to the Goldwing forum and you'll see some serious Harley bashing. And I don't mean light hearted stuff either.

What's wrong with taking an HD touring bike on a multi thousand mile trip around North America? One of the fav myths the Wing group likes to spout is the Harley isn't good for anything other thanbar hopping. I'd take my Road King or an Ultra around the countrywithout batting an eye, and I certainly wouldn'tthink I'd need a Wing to do it.
Nothing wrong taking the Harley. I'd take mine as well if given the chance. But if IALSOowned a Goldwing,I'd likely choose to take that.

Quick Reply: I don't understand the Goldwing references