Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Motorcycle Race Through Downtown Sturgis (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1445457-motorcycle-race-through-downtown-sturgis.html)

0maha 11-17-2023 02:47 PM

Motorcycle Race Through Downtown Sturgis

Since I was a vendor at the rally a few months ago, apparently I got put on the Mayor's email list. This just came in:

You are receiving this email because the City of Sturgis is contemplating hosting a motorcycle race through the streets in the downtown corridor of Sturgis on Aug. 10, 2024.The Sturgis City Council will host a work session to discuss the possibility of a race at its meeting scheduled for 5 p.m. Monday, Nov. 20, at Sturgis City Hall, 1040 Harley-Davidson Way, Sturgis.

The work session is intended as an opportunity for Council to receive background information, ask questions and allow for more informal discussion, so that they are able to make a more informed decision on the topic at a future meeting. No formal decisions or actions will be taken at the meeting Monday. Public participation is not allowed during a work session; however, the public is encouraged to attend and listen. Following the work session, there will be a time set aside during the regular meeting for public comment on the topics covered.

Representatives of American Flat Track and the Outerkind Agency visited Sturgis on Sept. 11 and 12 to do a comprehensive track assessment, test a race motorcycle, and to meet with the City Council and other stakeholders. Officials with both groups will make a short presentation about the race at the meeting on Monday.

The race would partially occur on "Legendary Main Street” with the start/finish line being on Harley-Davidson Way. It would continue west onto Third Street, south to Sherman Street, east to First Street and back north to Main Street.

Local businesses, vendors and many others will likely be impacted by the race. Therefore, we encourage you to attend the work session on Monday, or watch the meeting online on the city’s Facebook page or YouTube channel - www.facebook.com/cityofsturgis/ or PIOSturgis - YouTube.

Mark C. Carstensen
Mayor of Sturgis
For reference, the rally is scheduled from Aug 2 through Aug 11 next year, so they're talking about holding this race on the last Saturday of the event.

Like I said, this just came in, so I haven't had any time to give it much thought. My initial reaction is kind of "meh".

From a vendor perspective, on the plus side, there are a lot of people who attend the rally but never come downtown. Might be a way of getting them to come down and maybe do some buying.

That's about all I have for up-sides. I wonder how they'll manage safety (I envision a lot of tall barricades being put up around the track. Will they put them up Friday night, or will they be up all week? If they're up all week, how will that impact people parking on Main St and meandering around?

All that said, I do love seeing a good race.

Anyway, whatcha think?

diablos 11-17-2023 03:13 PM

id think it would be cool, would definitely check it out

GREENOHAWK69 11-17-2023 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by diablos (Post 21457423)
id think it would be cool, would definitely check it out

Yes. Sturgis' Prairie of Man race. 😁

Fatboy1389 11-18-2023 10:16 AM

If they do host this race….Let's hope it turns out better than the practice sessions at 1st Las Vegas Grand Prix have!
The local stores on the strip have stated they lost up to 6k per day due to the event already over the last few months

The_Old_Bill 11-18-2023 11:19 AM

It may work if the Health and Safety idiots aren't allowed to get overly involved, which is highly unlikely in today's climate.

Street racing in built-up urban areas is a massive logistical nightmare for the safety of both racers and spectators (see expensive), which is why so many annual Street events have closed over the years, and if you can't get up close to watch the action, you might as well sit at home and watch it on the tele.

Speaking of the Isle of Man,... as the Isle of Man is a 'Crown Dependancy' and is not part of the United Kingdom, it does abide by the Health and safety politics set by the UK establishment. This is the main reason why the Isle of Man TT, Southern 100, and the Manx GP draw massive crowds and competitors - where else can you watch motorcycle racers blast past at well over 150mph while sitting only 1-2 feet away from them (with no safety barriers). !!

Like the town of Stugis generates income from the annual Sturgis Rally, the Isle of Man relies heavily on the motorsport events for the livelihood of the small nation.

I really hope that Sturgis can make it work..

Garage666 11-18-2023 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by 0maha (Post 21457401)
Since I was a vendor at the rally a few months ago, apparently I got put on the Mayor's email list. This just came in:

For reference, the rally is scheduled from Aug 2 through Aug 11 next year, so they're talking about holding this race on the last Saturday of the event.

Like I said, this just came in, so I haven't had any time to give it much thought. My initial reaction is kind of "meh".

From a vendor perspective, on the plus side, there are a lot of people who attend the rally but never come downtown. Might be a way of getting them to come down and maybe do some buying.

That's about all I have for up-sides. I wonder how they'll manage safety (I envision a lot of tall barricades being put up around the track. Will they put them up Friday night, or will they be up all week? If they're up all week, how will that impact people parking on Main St and meandering around?

All that said, I do love seeing a good race.

Anyway, whatcha think?

My experience. No one in town the last weekend.

rizzo 11-19-2023 09:33 AM

I agree, the last few days are a snooze fest.

We see folks arriving on Wed/Thur and pulling out the same time rally week. The last weekend is very slow on the hill. Main street is empty compared to earlier in the week, it might be better closer to Sturgis but we've even had vendors pull out on Friday. Maybe it's an effort to keep those folks in town a little longer ?

TwiZted Biker 11-20-2023 12:30 PM

Could work if they don't over regulate it which you know will happen.

Little town in Kansas called Quenemo used to be the big Friday the 13th bike party, main street got blocked off and it was full on drag racing. Got crazy eventually.

Architect 11-20-2023 01:14 PM

Downtown Laconia had the Antique Motorcycle races in town in 2006. Vintage bikes, tank shifters, singles, two strokes and side hacks. It was an absolute blast for the spectators with nothing by hay bales closing off the side walks. One and done, was a great time and no accidents but I guess someone felt they were tempting fate and they sent them back to Loudon track.

In recent years they have been doing the Tower Hill climb right in the Weirs, but they only let the pros race and Tower Hill is now paved asphalt. I hear it is a good time, have not made it yet.

rizzo 12-18-2023 08:29 PM

Looks like it was approved last week.

https://www.bhpioneer.com/local_news...0e869e5f1.html