General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hamsters

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:45 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: hamsters

Follow this link for more on the Hamsters http://www.motorcycle.com/products/p...reams-3964.htm

The author describes the Hamsters as "a group of RUBs (rich urban bikers) who proudly proclaim their "cowardice" by adopting yellow as the club color. The Hamsters are essentially modern day Babbits -- affluent, milquetoast, corporate businessmen seeking attention and masculine empowerment."

Not my words, just passing it on. Enjoy the ride if your flush with cash or just plain flushed like a lot of us, it's all good.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:48 AM
connsmith
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah saw a show and the Ness's are members and I think helped found it. They have a parade at Sturgis every year, of cousre they leave form the highest priced resort in the area... but hey on the secondary market they let those bikes go cheap by comarison. Guy I know bought an Arlen Ness original form some rich guy for 28,000... and that is cheap

Old 08-28-2007, 12:01 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@petemac - No, I think you are thinking of the Gerbils.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Stogie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-28-2007, 12:43 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor

I will tell you this, most of them are a long long long way from trailer queens, and most havebeen riding a very long time. Many of them are industry leaders, and dont just sell bikes, but have helped shaped the motorcycle industry for the last 30 years. I know several that you wouldnt want to tug on their yellow shirt, lot of them are very old school, and just cause they got money......it sure dont mean they are sissy's cause most of them are a long way from being that. Just successful guys, and alot of them are in the motorcycle industry and wanted an alternative to a 1% club. Perawitz, started it along with Arlen as a joke, and it really grew from there.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:54 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 92classic

ORIGINAL: whaap

You can google hamster motorcycle and learn alot about them.
I did ,And it must be realy hard for them to go even 10 miles maybe a couple feet.
Hamster motorcycles

Arlen Ness, legendary custom motorcycle builder poses with his bike, the American Flyer in Ketchum. Ness is on his way to Sturgis, S.D. Photo by ***** Cook
And yeah they ride em...........

Though the name was unexpected, the Hamsters are synonymous with the high-profile members riding custom bikes worth upwards of $100,000.

“Our group is interesting because we have a lot of custom bikes that our guys actually ride,” Cooney said.

Like the custom bike Ness rode into Ketchum. Ness calls his bike the American Flyer. Usually he builds a new bike to go to Sturgis each year. But, the American Flyer is making its fourth trip.

“This is the one,” Ness said.

Beyond the custom paint job—actually custom everything--the bike boasts a nine-gallon gas tank for the long road trip.

The road trip is an annual venture for the Hamsters, but the route to the Black Hills rally varies each year. The Hamsters will spend a week rid-ing to Sturgis, including their quick stop in Ketchum.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:15 PM
jskwarek
Road Master

Read up on the club before you knock them. Before the only two things that I know of to even be considered to be part of the club are #1 a custom bike and #2 you have to ride with the group at least 2 times to Sturgies (I repeat ride not trailer). There are members from mid to upper income yes but that is in all clubs. This to me is one of the most elite clubs around and is mainly on the west coast but there is also an east coast chapter if you want to call it that. This club only accepts a handful of new members every year and yes they stay at a hotel in Sturgies, but this only started several years ago due to comfort and the size of the group as they camp every year prior to this.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 703 Likes on 336 Posts

I know personally 3 hamsters that are 1%ers, live bikes 24/7 and are very serious. I would not cut them up at all. I would be honoured to ride with them.

Joe

Old 08-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, just a bunch of regular guys who ride to sturgis every year who have Arlen Ness to thank for saving them from being 1%'ers. That's them alright...

[sm=bs.gif]

Old 08-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

If you're under 35, they (the Hamster founders, Arlen, Dave Perewitz,Barrry Cooneyand Donnie Smith were riding to Sturgis and camping out before you were even born. None of themowned new bikes with bolted on crap , hell, I don't think they evenowned chaps. Barrry has built some of the best bikes of all time, and I do mean build, not assemble because in those days you built what you needed. Those four at least, typify the statement "nothing is as it seems" I'm afraid to say more.

Quick Reply: hamsters