General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Bikers Never Die...

Old 11-27-2005, 12:15 PM
gsparesa
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Bikers Never Die...

Old Bikers Never Die...they just buy the biggest, baddest most expensive Harleys. (click the link below)

States Study Regulations for Aging Bikers. by Curt Woodward - Associated Press Writer.

Where are these old bikers? I never see them. Where could they possibly be hiding?

Old 11-27-2005, 12:23 PM
taurusjim
Cruiser
Default RE: Old Bikers Never Die...

Boy when they think Harley owners over forty are old the news media is nuts. I am 63. been riding since 16. I ride an 04 fatboy; my third harley. What a bunch of insulting nonesence in that article. ps, my fatboy is adorned with skulls, and i have two harley tatoos; i guess i am an old biker.

Old 11-27-2005, 12:26 PM
SMenasco
Road Master

I,m 64 and have logged 12,500 miles in the last 6 months. It is true that my reflexes or not what they used to be when I last rode in my 40s. However, I think that is compensated for by my being more cafeful now.

Old 11-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Grover
Admin "Kicking The Crap Out Of Spammers"

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

Just because somebody put it in print, doesn't make it right.

Statistics don't lie, liars use statistics to support whatever they want.

Be safe and ride.

One of the guys I ride with is in his late seventies and still travels with us on long trips. No accidents so far.

I could say no one over seventy in our group has ever had an acident, while a 37 year old guy was his from behind while stopped at a stop light. Conclusion: men over seventy are safer riders than men between 30 and 40.

Old 11-27-2005, 05:08 PM
SteveB
Intermediate

It is getting deep in here. [8D]

I know some bikers that are 50+ years old and they have there moments too. Like laying rubber on an Ultra Glide for about a half a block. Power braking there 117 ci custom choppers. One poker run someone lit up the tire and lost control it fish tailed 90 degrees went through the front door of the bar all the way to the back door. The bike stopped at the back door he ended up in the back alley. he was over 50. Then there is the guy on the 350 ci Boss Hoss trike that lit up the tires for more than a block and he was over 60.

Yeah my crap don't stink either.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gsparesa

Old Bikers Never Die...they just buy the biggest, baddest most expensive Harleys. (click the link below)

States Study Regulations for Aging Bikers. by Curt Woodward - Associated Press Writer.

Where are these old bikers? I never see them. Where could they possibly be hiding?
Maybe they moved out of Cali, it's an expensive state to retire in. Maybe you need to get out on the road, we'er out there. Come ride with me.

Old 11-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gsparesa

I'm 65 and hiding in Prescott, AZ.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:52 PM
gsparesa
Tourer

I was being facetious with the “where are the old bikers.” Most of the members in our local chapter are geezers. Who else can afford these expensive Harleys? Two of the geezers that I know of are well over seventy years old. One of the old timers knows his limits and plans his rides. The other old timer is fighting aging real hard and doesn’t want to retire his scoot. At our last chapter meeting, he started giving some of the road captains crap for going too fast. Members have told me that they have noticed him weaving out of formation. A couple of members said to me that they were almost hit by him. The suck part of all this, is I love him like my brother. When is it time to stop? Is it our duty to tell him to stop? Honestly, have you older people set a warning “flag” as a sign when you will stop?

Old 11-28-2005, 12:09 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"If it keeps one person from killing themselves, all the better."

Ohh gawd. Those words make me gag. If someone who can't ride, doesn't take any courses, and is stupid enough to buy a big bike - it isn't my responsibility. I can see it coming... anyone over 40 will have to jump through hoops to keep a license... all because of some idiots who got themselves killed.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:43 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I've seen some older riders that convert their bikes into trikes when they get older, as it's easier for them to control. I could see myself doing that when I get to the point where I'm having trouble controlling it. My advise is that some of you try talking to him about it. Be forewarned, it could get UGLY real fast though.....but if something happens later, it'll be easier to live with your conscience.

We got a guy in our HOG chapter that is in his 80's, and rides a 1940 knucklehead with a sidecar. How cool is that, huh?[&:] (fully restored with fabric wiring, etc.)

joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Old Bikers Never Die...