General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High octane fuel in Phoenix area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 07:36 AM
azhole
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High octane fuel in Phoenix area?

Most 'premium' fuel is no higher than 92 octane, if you can find that, in phoenix.
I've found a station on the NW corner of Union Hills and Cave Creek rd, that has 100 octane rating and is labeled 'racing fuel' on the pump. The station owner tells my there's also a station with the same 'racing fuel' in mesa around the 32 st and roosevelt area I think he said.
My question:
Does anyone know of anymore 'high octane' stations in AZ and especially the valley?

also, Does anyone know of any negative repercussions from using this 'race fuel' other than lightening my wallet with lightning fast speed?

Old 09-15-2007, 08:00 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: High octane fuel in Phoenix area?

Unless you have bumped up your compression, the bike will run fine on 92. With the stock compression, they should just about run on kerosene.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:12 AM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

There's a Bradley/Sinclair station about a mile east of my place that sells the 100 octane "race" fuel...if you REALLY need it it's the sh*t but at $5.00 and change per gallonit's kinda hard on the wallet!

Old 09-15-2007, 08:21 AM
Velocity1
Tourer

100 octane shouldn't hurt the motor. I run a blend of "Supreme 130" octane booster and 93 octane hight test that combined produces 98 octane. I'm getting the laptop ready to begin DTT tuning on my carb'd '02 Softail. (Just got theinterface cable from DTT yesterday.)

Google search "Supreme 130" and it will give you the name of the company that sells the stuff. It works. Trust me.

V1

[IMG]local://upfiles/20625/FE72EB2B598C4D0CBFD09465765FC9DA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-15-2007, 08:24 AM
azhole
Road Master

I was going up into the mountains and wanted a little kick if I decide to use it. I tried some 'race fuel' yesterday and is seemed like the response was a bit better, so I might try some on the way up the mountain today.

There's supposed to be a Marshall Tucker concert and rib cook off in cottonwood, for all the older ridersand I think it'll be a nice ride, and on to Jerome, and down through skull valley

Old 09-15-2007, 08:50 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: azhole

I was going up into the mountains and wanted a little kick if I decide to use it. I tried some 'race fuel' yesterday and is seemed like the response was a bit better, so I might try some on the way up the mountain today.

There's supposed to be a Marshall Tucker concert and rib cook off in cottonwood, for all the older ridersand I think it'll be a nice ride, and on to Jerome, and down through skull valley
Has your bike been modified? If it is injected,what do you have for tunning?

I ran 1/2 a tank of 100 oct. 4 months ago and by bike ran like crap!

My ignition is tunned for hi compresion and 91 oct and id have to advance it manualy to make it run for sh*t on 100, I have a carb though and maybe injection would compensate better.

Your bike will need less fuel with hi octane and with a carb youll need slightly smaller jetting.
If your bike pings now, put a gallon or so in to see if it changes anything if it dose, retune the engine first, dont make yourself dependant on hi-grade stuff thats in short supply!
BTW 100 oct. is 7.25$ a gallon down the street from me in LA!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:14 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

If the bike ain't pinging the way you now ride 100 octane is a waste of money. Also, does it contain detergents that will keep your FI in good order? If not look for injector problems sometime down the line.

Increased octane rating slows the combustion rate of the gas. That helps prevent pinging, knock, etc. With a modern ignition system that advances the timing until just before knock occurs you might see a little more performance. You might also not see anything except increased combustion chamber and piston deposits as the fuel doesn't completely burn, or improperly burns. And you might see both of these effects.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Newhog
Road Captain

Pilot Truck Stop at I-10 south of the 202 across from Firebird Raceway.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:35 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I live about 100 yards from that station iin Phoenix, Its called "The Zone" I've seen a few Harleys fill up with that stuff. A couple months ago I checked and it was $6.14 a gallon! I've seen a few Ferrarris, some kid with a 69 Camaro with a supercharger sticking through the hood, and a Lambo Countach was filling up last weekend. I noticed when I moved from Texas, the premium octane went from 93 in TX to 91 in AZ. Whats up with that?

Old 09-15-2007, 01:20 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TXSwede

I live about 100 yards from that station iin Phoenix, Its called "The Zone" I've seen a few Harleys fill up with that stuff. A couple months ago I checked and it was $6.14 a gallon! I've seen a few Ferrarris, some kid with a 69 Camaro with a supercharger sticking through the hood, and a Lambo Countach was filling up last weekend. I noticed when I moved from Texas, the premium octane went from 93 in TX to 91 in AZ. Whats up with that?
Well you should know the answer to that. Everything is bigger and better in Texass from what I've been told.

Quick Reply: High octane fuel in Phoenix area?