General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention HD salespeople

Old 10-12-2007, 08:24 PM
06Heritage
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attention HD salespeople

I'm interested in a career selling Harley's. do dealerships usually pay straight commission, or a combination of a salary and commission ?
any input would be appreciated.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Attention HD salespeople

My dealership pays salary and commission. I don't work there but am friends with several of the salesmen. It was $1800 a month plus $175.00 per bike. I heard they got a raise so I figure it's somewhere around $2400 and whatever they are paying for each bike sold. The dealership where I work (non Harley) pays a straight 25% commission on the front end money. Salesmen do not get paid on warranty, credit life or gap. You will not be getting rich selling Harley's in the near future especially with the slow down in sales right now.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:05 PM
tda69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup. I agree with Terry. Now would not be the best time to make a career move to sell HD's. Inventories are piling up...sales are stagnating and special financing isn't helping to move inventories. Did I mention that HD is shutting down all their plants (temporary layoff) for a week in Nov? Their earnings are off for the 4th quarter and will not meet their estimates. These are the kinds of things that shareholders do not like.The company is struggling ina declining market. Eventually I'm sure they will reorganize and take steps to reduce labor cost (layoffs) & reduce inventories. I would also expect to see discount pricing to move inventories. So....unless you don't need the income or require very little income to live on, I wouldn't advise trying to makea career of selling HD's at this time.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:08 PM
06Heritage
Tourer

I dont plan on getting rich if i do this at this time...the economy in michigan sucks right now, and winters coming on. BUT, i think it would be a good time to get my feet wet, because of the fact that business is slow,and it would be a good time to learn the in's and out's of selling bikes.
Umm... tda, i,m sorry but your full face helmet reallyyyyyyy clashes with your umm... " chest chains "[:'(]

Old 10-13-2007, 11:13 PM
tda69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

OUCH! Those chest chains always get caught in my manly chest hair. Ouch!

Old 10-13-2007, 11:24 PM
ZChan
Cruiser

I hope your a better salesperson than I've run into lately. At a dealer last week, I had to chase down a salesman, who told me to get a custom paint set, since they didn't have the color I wanted. At a dealership today,the greeter girl at the door searched for several minutes to find a salesmen for 4 relatively serious customers, including me. Must be my good looks!

Old 10-13-2007, 11:33 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never understood why a dealership needs a salesperson anyways.Id say 95 % of people shopping for a bike is gona know more about it then them clowns anyways. First test to em to see if they even know which bike there tryimg to sell ya is ask em whats the capacity of the oil tank .If cant answer correctly your on your own anyways. TEll em to leave you the fuc alone till your ready buy it and get your freebie tshirt.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:57 PM
06Heritage
Tourer

Now i'm curious how many of you have actually went to a dealer, and asked the salesman what the oil tank capacity of a bike was ? [8D]

Old 10-14-2007, 03:45 AM
Surly
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Surly to salesman (Perth, Western Australia) "I would like to buy a new Harley...what is on the floor for sale?"
Salesman "Everything on the floor is sold...except that Softail Standard and a VRod"
Surly "How far off is the next shipment?"
Salesman"All sold"
Surly "Next shipment of bikes that are actually for sale then"
Salesman"About 6 months off but nearly all sold"
Surly "Better sign me up on the Softail Standard"

I am not sure I tested his sales skills much

cheers
Surly

Old 10-14-2007, 06:28 AM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can remember when you could go in a dealership and look at bikes for at least an hour, and no saleshole wouldapproach you. Now if you look at one bike you get at least three salesholes will ask you if they can help you with any thing.. The worm has turned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Attention HD salespeople