General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new girlfriend is afraid......

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 PM
marcss
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new girlfriend is afraid......

to ride on the back of my Harley. She has gone twice, shortish rides and was o.k. with it but doesn't like "twisty" roads 'cause of a friend of a friend that died in a cross-the-line head on. Those are the best types of roads! I'm not fond of blasting down some boring highway or freeway. She realizes that head-on is very, very rare andalmost as dangerous in a cage,but still fears riding. We both wonder if her fear persists if that is going to be a "deal breaker" for me.
What do you guys with gals that don't ride with you do? Is it a major problem?
Here in So Cal I want to ride just about every weekend, we don't live together and probably won't for quite some time so this could be a big problem. Any advice? She doesn't want her own bike and "dumping her" is not an option...... yet Giving up riding is also not an option. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:10 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: My new girlfriend is afraid......

Soooo............what's her number?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 PM
WaterBuffalo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my wife seldom rides with me. as long as she doesn't mind me going without her, its all good.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bring her along slowly. More short trips with breakfast or some other activity she likes. Get a backrest, protective gear, other stuff to show your concern. Never speed or take risks with her on the bike. Involve other couples. Do something afterward that she will look forward to. After a bit, take the bike on an overnighter to a great spot. Let her plan a trip. Give sincere compliments on her ability.Its an emotional thing, it will take awhile to get past it, be patient.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:20 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something is going to go. Guess it's up to you which one.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:45 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dorkman

Bring her along slowly. More short trips with breakfast or some other activity she likes. Get a backrest, protective gear, other stuff to show your concern. Never speed or take risks with her on the bike. Involve other couples. Do something afterward that she will look forward to. After a bit, take the bike on an overnighter to a great spot. Let her plan a trip. Give sincere compliments on her ability.Its an emotional thing, it will take awhile to get past it, be patient.
Dorkman's got it pegged 100%. That said, the death of a friend is a traumatic experience and she may never feel comfortable going fast or riding the "twisty" roads. If she prefers not to ride and she's not OK with you taking off on your own then you may eventually have to make a decision.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:53 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't call that a "major problem"...more of afrustrating difference of opinion.You think riding is fabulous ... she doesn't. Not exactly a relationship breaker ... but there is hope. You canhowever, gently coerce her into seeing the 'fun' in biking. It will take time and patience because right now, she may be a little tender about experiencing a loss (even from a distance) because she has now emotionally associated that loss with motorcycling.

Although, safety issues are most definitely real ... as real as if you were driving a car on any roadway. Considering more accidents and mishaps happen in cars and trucks, statistically riding a motorcycle seems pale in comparison.That argument doesn't really have a lot of merit, but it's a common tactic for those that are not familiar with the stats. Even in my teeny tiny little world ... out of all the motorcyclists I know, almost everyone has been involved in a car/truck accident at one point or another ... only a numbered few have ever been in an accident on their bikes.

Be patient. The more she is around bikes and experiences biking, she will slowly but surely not only learn to trust you as a driver, butdiscover the many pleasantries in biking and the people you meet, and the places you see. Nothing compares to the vantage point from the back of a bike.... Not even the drivers seat. This is where you see EVERYTHING! Once she gets to the point where she can actually relax and enjoy the ride ... I have a feeling she will initiateyour rides more often.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:54 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

My girlfriend won't ride either, so what. Brought my new bike home, she looks at it and says "Oh,......it's nice." As long as she doesn't through a fit when I want to ride I don't have a problem with it.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Show her were the kitchen is and stop worring about it.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:55 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If her name is Kelly and she has a lot of ink...Run!
If not just ease her into it slowly or leave her at home...

Quick Reply: My new girlfriend is afraid......